Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2006, 08:30 AM

40 posts, read 178,055 times

Advertisements

I know this is a growing problem, with the dry weather and with more and more people moving in, but just how big a problem is this?

Recently the news has been filled with stories of gators in public areas---and we're NOT just talking babies either???

What's the scoop?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2006, 08:51 AM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LongIslander
...but just how big a problem is this?
Well, if you sit on the side of a rural drainage ditch and dangle your legs in the water during mating season, especially if water levels are low and gators are moving to find new locations, it could be a big problem, maybe one in a hundred thousand or so. In general, it could be a problem in the range of one in 4 million or so -- 3 deaths this year out of 12 million (or however many there are) Floridians. This year seems to be a bad year; the problem is rare enough that it always makes news.

There are more bear attacks in the North than gator attacks in the South.

There are more shark attacks than gator attacks.

And, there were over 3,500 people killed on Florida's highways last year. Which is the real problem?

Old 05-18-2006, 01:17 PM

40 posts, read 178,055 times
Default Agree, your right

The news always seems to blow things out of proportion... thanks.

Old 05-18-2006, 04:28 PM

80 posts, read 465,573 times
I see them in every Lake while Im fishing they keep their distance. The problem is when people Feed them.

Old 05-18-2006, 07:00 PM

80 posts, read 465,573 times
alligator info

www.theonion.com/content/node/48203

Old 05-22-2006, 09:56 AM

2 posts, read 8,506 times
It's gator mating season. Besides, people should NEVER attempt to pet any wild animal, much less, one that WILL EAT YOU!!

Old 06-06-2006, 03:44 PM

566 posts, read 2,058,255 times
I just had to post about the gator issue as I could not resist. I fished with my dad & camped out in the Everglades when I was a kid. Ohh...how I used to love those airboat rides in the midst of the everglades! They are sooo...much fun. One has to bear in mind that gators are cold blooded reptiles. So when it heats up their metabolism literally warms up , they look for mates - the females get very, very agressive protecting their eggs . And of course in warmer weather their metabolism speeds up so they need food. When the turtles are out sunning, so will the gators. Though, when you are from FL you learn how to live around them & you won't see them in big cities or anything like that. I remember there used to be baby gators sold in pet stores all over Miami when I was a child & Miami was more ruralish & had lots of swamp land. Northerner's would take them up as novelties/gifts back home, believe it or not. I'd hear stories of people flushing them down the toilets in NY & heard scary stories in the 60's of them growing in sewer systems,etc. I can't say if any of these stories were really true or not. Gator meat from the tail used to be sold (very low in fat, lean & delicious!), there were fancy handbags, shoes & boots at cheap prices that tourists would love to come down & buy. Butt...there were more hunting seasons back then to control the overpopulation. The same goes for the sharks...I was reading last week that they are going to start a gator hunting season soon. Hopefully, we can see shark meat being sold in the markets down here again - it's really a meaty meat & truly delicious. When I read that sharks were being protected & fisherman weren't allowed to fish 'em I knew we'd have more of 'em out there & these guys have got to eat, too. As for the reply 'that 'old timer" wrote, I have to agree 100% w/him - driving is the major killer here. More than hurricanes, sharks or gators all put together. Yes, we've had 2 adult females killed recently in warm weather, one was jogging by a lake & sadly the other was swimming in one, I think. I don't know about the rest of the Floridians out there but I would never, ever swim in a lake in warm weather cause one never knows....One just has to learn to live amongst these native inhabitants & proceed cautiously.

Last edited by lulu; 06-06-2006 at 03:48 PM..

Old 06-06-2006, 06:11 PM

20 posts, read 77,671 times
OH Pullleeeease!

As dalandite says, it's mating season.

Add to that people have no respect for their environment and the creatures we share it with-POW!

Do you know anyone who would feed a snake in their community? I think not! That is simply because people have a HEALTHY respect of snakes, and are more likely (foolishly) to kill it than feed it. But quite frankly if everyone in town though it was 'cute' to feed the snakes they (the snakes) would look to people for their daily meal as well.

I am by no means suggesting that the innocent victims of these attacks were the ones doing the 'feeding', it's just that others have done the damage and the victims pay the price.

Alligators are dangerous wild animals, other states have dangerous wild animals also...people feed alligators here in Florida in a manner that would not even be imagined by people who live in other areas such as bear country....if you get my drift.

I believe in respect for the environment, but a HEALTHY respect is the best.

Have respect, a healthy respect (and maybe a touch of fear wouldn't hurt.)!

Barbee

Old 06-06-2006, 08:41 PM

2,227 posts, read 8,211,940 times
"and are more likely (foolishly) to kill it than feed it."

or here in nc they do both --- kill the snake and then eat the snake!!!

Old 06-07-2006, 05:00 PM

1,307 posts, read 5,503,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backtofla
...here in nc they do both --- kill the snake and then eat the snake!!!
...or play with them in church...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Florida