Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona
 [Register]
Flagstaff-Sedona Coconino County
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2007, 04:07 PM

112 posts, read 425,079 times

Advertisements

Flagstaff uneducated and uncultured? You didn't look far then. Flagstaff Cultural Partners has so many cultural things to do and experience. Arts, music, films, art classes, Young Jammers (FREE music lessons for kids that play certain stringed instruments and they even donate the instrument if you cannot afford one!) The hospital opens their doors to the public during the science festival and has exhibits there for kids and adults. The Geological society has cool stuff about the planets and the observatory has programs frequently for the public and kids. There's a real symphony in Flagstaff, science fairs, and educational activities for all ages. There's an Environmental center (Willow Bend) that does workshops and other things. There's the Museum of Northern Arizona that features all the geological and Native cultural information and exhibits of the Colorado Plateau. The two large Native tribes, Navajo and Hopi, have Native arts and dances during the year as well.

I guess you have to be willing to look a bit deeper and ask around to find the education and culture. It is very definitely here and exceptional. I have lived in Colorado, Oklahoma, Oregon, Okinawa, germany, and Israel and I LOVE Flagstaff as my home.

It does get hot at times, we have had temps in the low 90's in June and lately it has been in the upper 80's this post-monsoon week.

Sure there are things about Flagstaff that are not as nice, but the urban trails, the excellent arts, culture and educational programs as well as the liberal, open minded, friendly people make this a wonderful town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2007, 06:35 PM

23 posts, read 143,169 times
I agree with Chill22: Flagstaff is socio-economically depressed and there isn't a whole lot of opportunity.

I loved living there for the hiking, biking, outdoor fun. It is beautiful and amazing in that way. HOWEVER, I got sick of looking at litter everywhere, as a small example of what socio-economic depression does to a place. If you want Flag with some $$, try Boulder, CO instead.

Good luck

Old 08-22-2007, 08:09 PM

453 posts, read 1,627,831 times
I was just there yesterday taking a mandatory class for my job. I live in the Phoenix area and honestly, the beauty, cool weather made me want to stay.

Old 08-27-2007, 04:06 PM

6 posts, read 24,211 times
I am a massage therapist, and Reiki practioner currently living in Florida and have been uhappy since moving here 3 years ago because of my mother in laws illness. Florida education values are low and as a result therapists are treated with little respect and even expected to work discount rates when certain areas are out of season. I am lookin at a possible move to Arizona. I have heard of Sedona made mention many times for all of its spiritual energy, but I want to work for myself and not at a resort or spa. How feasable is it for me to be able to have a loyal client basis in a resort town of tourists? My husband is a truck driver and basically can relocate us in any area

Old 08-28-2007, 10:30 PM

220 posts, read 648,632 times
To put it bluntly Flagstaff SUCKS!
It was my husbands home town and we always wanted to live there so we did. After spending 7 years there and never being able to get ahead we left. For love NOR money would I ever go back.
Once upon a time Flagstaff was a cute little mountain town that was friendly and everybody knew everybody. No more is it what it used to be.
Flagstaff is a huge rat race with no economy. The streets are far too congested and housing is astronomical. You can't touch a mobile home for less than $200 there on a postage stamp, let alone a stick built home. Flagstaff never planned for its growth. There are literally 2 main roads to take you east and west. I40 is ok, but you still have to use major surface streets to get to where you need to be and then there is RTE 66 which starts getting congested around 3 pm. And God forbid you have to go downtown.
It used to be said that Flagstaff was Poverty with a View. And there was truth to it. Now its just plain poverty because you can't see the view for all the building.

ETA: Flagstaff schools are horrible as well.

Old 08-30-2007, 06:09 AM

27,337 posts, read 27,387,014 times
I've lived there for a couple of years and it wasnt that bad, but work is an issue for many. I went up there last Feb and again in April, its still breathaking.

Old 09-02-2007, 09:22 AM

314 posts, read 924,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locoenlacabeza View Post
To put it bluntly Flagstaff SUCKS!
It was my husbands home town and we always wanted to live there so we did. After spending 7 years there and never being able to get ahead we left. For love NOR money would I ever go back.
Once upon a time Flagstaff was a cute little mountain town that was friendly and everybody knew everybody. No more is it what it used to be.
Flagstaff is a huge rat race with no economy. The streets are far too congested and housing is astronomical. You can't touch a mobile home for less than $200 there on a postage stamp, let alone a stick built home. Flagstaff never planned for its growth. There are literally 2 main roads to take you east and west. I40 is ok, but you still have to use major surface streets to get to where you need to be and then there is RTE 66 which starts getting congested around 3 pm. And God forbid you have to go downtown.
It used to be said that Flagstaff was Poverty with a View. And there was truth to it. Now its just plain poverty because you can't see the view for all the building.

ETA: Flagstaff schools are horrible as well.
I've lived in the Flagstaff area for the past 9 years, and this is VERY accurate. Lots of street bums panhandling and drunks walking down the streets, and WAY too many hippies. As soon as our house sells, we're outta here!

Old 09-02-2007, 09:25 AM

314 posts, read 924,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chill22 View Post
Flagstaff is socio-economically depressed and there isn't a whole lot of opportunity. There isn't much going on and I didn't feel a sense of community. It feels uneducated and uncultured, even with the university there. Although the areas outside of Flagstaff are incredible, Flagstaff itself isn't all that beautiful (try Boulder instead). And sorry, a few scraggly hippies begging for change downtown does not a progressive town make. Also, if your into warm weather, forget it. Flagstaff is a great base for the Grand Canyon and other attractions and that is about it. If thats enough for you, go for it. If not, I'd check out another location. Boulder, CO is more expensive but if you want a cool, progressive mountain town, that is where its at.
Quite correct!

Old 10-13-2007, 10:58 AM

43 posts, read 297,830 times
I live and FINALLY work here. I think it is a very mixed bag. One the one hand it is quiet and cute and friendly - if you avoid certain parts of town. You really have to put blinders on to enjoy living here. I think that is the only way I can put it now that I have a good job. I can avoid thinking about the reasons I have wanted to leave prior. In the end, when my kids hit school age, we are leaving. The schools here are frighteningly bad. And those blinders I wear won't work too well at that point.

Old 11-10-2007, 03:18 AM

18 posts, read 195,331 times
Hey, I can relate. I lived there from 97' to 2004. The cost of housing versus wages is a huge issue there as you know. I move on to Spokane, WA. Same climate, however, houses are about $200,000 cheaper.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Flagstaff-Sedona