Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-28-2019, 12:53 AM

1 posts, read 1,022 times

Advertisements

Hi Guys,
I'm from India. I have heard so much about aquariums and researched about it for a while. Now I want to buy an aquarium for my office since I am going to buy a small sized aquarium as a beginner. It would be a really good idea to keep it at my office because small aquariums require less space or so I have heard. I want some suggestions from the experienced aquarists for which aquarium I should buy. I did quite an exhausting research and I picked some as options. So I would appreciate it if someone shares some of there experience help me pick one up. Here are the variants I picked with the links from where I read about them:

Fluval Evo 13.5 Aquarium Kit -
[url=http://fishsubsidy.org/fluval-evo-13-5/]Fluval Evo 13.5 Gallons (Saltwater Aquarium Kit) With Reef Capable LED[/url]

Marina LED Aquarium Kit 10 Gallon -
[url]https://www.fishtankworld.com/best-10-gallon-fish-tank-kit/[/url]

Aqueon 10 Gallon LED Aquarium Kit -
[url]https://successfulaquarium.com/aqueon-10-gal-led-aquarium-kit/[/url]

Penn Plax 10 Gallon Curved Corner Aquarium Kit -
[url]https://lovefishtank.com/10-gallon-fish-tank-kit/[/url]
Thanks in Advance.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2019, 12:42 PM

856 posts, read 1,051,896 times
Exclamation Aquarium Beginner- What Size Tank?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tysonjames View Post
Hi Guys,
I'm from India. I have heard so much about aquariums and researched about it for a while. Now I want to buy an aquarium for my office since I am going to buy a small sized aquarium as a beginner. It would be a really good idea to keep it at my office because small aquariums require less space or so I have heard. I want some suggestions from the experienced aquarists for which aquarium I should buy. I did quite an exhausting research and I picked some as options. So I would appreciate it if someone shares some of there experience help me pick one up. Here are the variants I picked with the links from where I read about them:

Fluval Evo 13.5 Aquarium Kit -
Fluval Evo 13.5 Gallons (Saltwater Aquarium Kit) With Reef Capable LED

Marina LED Aquarium Kit 10 Gallon -
https://www.fishtankworld.com/best-1...fish-tank-kit/

Aqueon 10 Gallon LED Aquarium Kit -
https://successfulaquarium.com/aqueo...-aquarium-kit/

Penn Plax 10 Gallon Curved Corner Aquarium Kit -
https://lovefishtank.com/10-gallon-fish-tank-kit/
Thanks in Advance.....

Invariably, people who 'start small' end up buying larger gallon/liter capacity aquariums. Moving up is a small pain since it requires you to have the second tank seasoned and livable before you put the fish in. If you have limited space, you may have a situation where the first tank must come down before the new, larger tank can begin. Moving fish is a shock to the system and can end in sickness and/or fatalities.

It would behoove you to start with no less than a 15 gallon or 20 gallon aquarium. You can go for years without needing to move up to a larger tank than 20 gallons.

Avoid curved glass/plex since what you see inside the tank is distorted where the bend in the glass/plex is.

You will want to decide if you want a specialty tank or a community tank. The former is a tank that focuses on only one species of fish or in the case of the latter, a variety of fish that all get along. An example of a specialty tank would be one of only angelfish, for example. They mostly get along, move slowly but do get larger so you would only buy a few or so otherwise their size will require more room/larger tank down the road.

A specialty tank usually ends up with fewer fish either because the fish themselves are predatory in nature or are bullies and/or because they tend to grow larger than average aquarium fish like guppies and swordtails.

A community tank is one of smaller fish, usually, that all get along. Egg bearers like Zebra Fish make good choices, various types of Tetras, also. Many people buy guppies but they breed like silly and your tank will be over populated in a few months with baby and growing guppies.

This is a complicated topic so for now, give consideration to what I'm saying about starting with a tank that you won't easily outgrow in six months to a year.

Paul.........

Old 10-17-2019, 09:43 PM

1 posts, read 910 times
Do you love betta? They are not too hard to keep tysonjames.

I have bought this betta fish tank before: [url]https://www.senzeal.com/led-betta-fish-tank-for-betta-fish-care-p0783.html[/url]

It is with LED light and can circulate air to the fish.

Double Betta Tank: [url]https://www.senzeal.com/best-divided-betta-tank-p0782.html[/url]

This one is smaller. Wish can help.

Old 10-18-2019, 03:26 AM

1,417 posts, read 734,205 times
You have some good advice above, bigger is better, in tank sizes and a 20 gallon is a great size in terms of it creates a far more stable environment for the fish. That essentially means it gives you a much larger margin of error (temperature will fluctuate less, ammonia levels will be more stable as will the PH).

I would suggest you do consider as HeadHunterPaul said a species tank, or related species tank. So here is the thing, if you go with a species tank you can get the water conditions right to bring the fish into mating colors. If you do that, it is a stunning display.

If you are going small (10 gallon)however and excellent fish is the White Cloud Mountain Minnow aka Tan's Minnow. They do not require a heater, are active, pretty, hardy, omnivorous and you can put a good number in a tank. They spawn readily too.

Another okay choice is the Harlequin Rasbora aka Red Rasbora is a school of 5-6 or the Neon Tetra, you can crowd the latter a bit at 10-12 in the tank. If you are looking at Neons really read about their water preferences, I find they seem to fight off diseases if kept in peat filtered water (sort turns the water a light tan). These all need heated tanks. You could also go with 5-6 Cherry Barbs if you plant the tank.

At 15 gallon (long tank) I would look at Harlequin Rasbora aka Red Rasbora in a school of 7-8 and maybe a trio of Corys at the bottom (sort of pushing it though). The Serpae Tetra is another good option. Also the neon tetra and Cardinal Tetra and Cherry Barbs. You can (surprisingly) keep 2 Angel fish in a 15 gallon tall, not really recommended but I had 2 for about 8 years in a heavily planted 15 gallon tall tank..

At the 20 gallon, if you like vicious fish you can move up to a 7 Tiger Barbs, but they can be difficult. A much more interesting (and peaceful option) is the Black Ruby Barb, they are stunning when in the right conditions, you can also mix them with the also very peaceful Cherry Barb and you will have two stunning schools of fish. They like the same conditions and are both stunning when in the right conditions.

A few tip: Java Moss. It is almost impossible to kill and filters the water and fish love it. You cant get very creative with it in terms of decor.

Duckweed at the top is also good.

And if you are in an office you can put a cutting of a Philodendron into you tank (so the leaves or out) and it will root. Eventually the roots will grow into the substrate and the plant will feed keeping the water cleaner, it will look cool and the fish will love it. I did that with the Angle Fish and they loved darting in and out of the roots. You also get a lovely office plant out of it. The advantage is once the Philodendron roots into the gravel it will essentially be cleaning it for you. I had a tank for almost 20 years I never had to do much with except partial water changes because of that. I was surprised the job it did with the gravel. After two years I had little need to gravel siphon.

Also undergravel filters our out of favor, I love them and would not be without them. Especially with the above noted Philodendron. You can always add outside mechanical filters, but those old undergravel filters do a great job in a tank that is not overstocked.

Last edited by GhostOfAndrewJackson; 10-18-2019 at 03:42 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Fish