Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2023, 09:45 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times

Advertisements

Now playing out in court.

If you like art scandal, meet the Wildenstein family....

The Inheritance Case That Could Unravel an Art Dynasty
How a widow’s legal fight against the Wildenstein family of France has threatened their storied collection — and revealed the underbelly of the global art market.

Even though Daniel described Georges as a “bad father,” he parented his own children in similarly severe ways. He enforced his father’s business tactics — extreme secrecy, consolidation of wealth in the bloodline — as laws of family life, too.
As children, Guy and Alec commuted to the Lycée Français de New York by limousine, and they rarely had a play date. Alec was forbidden to play sports and attend university, Guy was prevented from pursuing acting and both were required to learn their father’s trade. Daniel was particularly strict with Alec, his elder son. According to a 1998 Vanity Fair article, he started taking Alec to brothels at age 15 in the hope that he would find prostitutes a satisfying alternative to a wife.
According to a report by Art Basel and UBS, auction houses did about $31 billion in sales last year. They say that they know who their clients are, but those may just be the names of art advisers or other intermediaries. And collectors’ insistence on anonymity, long framed as genteel discretion, hasn’t budged. The buyer of the most expensive artwork ever sold at auction, Leonardo da Vinci’s $450.3 million “Salvator Mundi,” registered at Christie’s a day before bidding with a $100 million down payment, identifying himself as one of 5,000 princes in Saudi Arabia. A few weeks later, it was revealed that the true buyer was Crown Prince Mohammed bin Salman — who was reportedly displaying the painting on his superyacht — and that a little-known cousin of his bought it as a proxy. It was billed by Christie’s as the “last Leonardo da Vinci painting in private hands,” but it’s only the “last” Leonardo until someone reveals another one, like the Madonna and child the Wildensteins sold in 1999 to an anonymous collector, who is still believed to own it.
https://dnyuz.com/2023/08/23/the-inh...n-art-dynasty/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-01-2023, 11:59 AM

1,721 posts, read 1,020,704 times
Very interesting!

I started watching “Lost Art: The stories of missing Masterpieces” on Wondrium which is also very interesting. That led me to a Netflix mini-series on the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum theft in 1990 in Boston. Those pieces have still not been recovered.

Who knew that the art world is so corrupt?

Thanks for sharing the article!

Old 11-14-2023, 03:15 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Horribly fascinating.
My mother (passed on 17 years ago) would have loved this because her her maiden name was Roth like the "poor" widow that was fleeced by her Wildenstein stepsons of so so much.

I love good art, and paint. I've know about the "free port" art storage facilities around the world including the US.
So much great art unseen.
I am nobody as a painter yet hate to sell my work because I will never see it again.

Old 01-17-2024, 07:03 PM

15,580 posts, read 15,650,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SanJac View Post
Very interesting!

I started watching “Lost Art: The stories of missing Masterpieces” on Wondrium which is also very interesting. That led me to a Netflix mini-series on the Isabella Stewart Gardner Museum theft in 1990 in Boston. Those pieces have still not been recovered.

Who knew that the art world is so corrupt?

Thanks for sharing the article!
The Gardner theft is particularly sad.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts