Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2023, 06:55 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times

Advertisements

Always nice to have reminders of how ideas and tastes change and evolve.

The 19th Century’s Most Scandalous Painting Comes to New York
“Olympia,” the brothel scene that birthed modern art, crosses the Atlantic for the first time in the Met exhibition “Manet/Degas.”

“A colossal ineptitude,” one enraged critic called it. “Her face is stupid,” another wrote. The papers declared it “shapeless,” “putrefied,” “incomprehensible.” They said it “recalls the horror of the morgue.”
And when the Parisian crowds rolled into the Salon of 1865, they too went berserk in front of Édouard Manet’s painting of a courtesan, her maid and her high-strung black cat. Spectators were sobbing, shouting, getting into scuffles; the Salon had to hire armed guards. The picture was so stark that visitors kept trying to puncture the canvas with their umbrellas. “Never,” reported one of Paris’s better literary reviews, “has a painting excited so much laughter, mockery, and catcalls as this ‘Olympia.’”
He is more than just the greatest painter of the 19th century; he’s the supreme model of how an artist can meet the times head-on, and rewrite the rules of culture as the world outside jerks forward.
https://www.nytimes.com/2023/09/09/a...et-museum.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2023, 04:48 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
It is rather in your face, even by modern standards; I find myself sharing the servant's apparent sense of distress.
Recalls to mind the infamous stage actress Tallulah Bankhead's longtime habit of parading around buck naked in her dressing room at the Shubert Theatre with the door wide open. "Why do you do that," her friend Estelle Winwood asked her, "When you have so many lovely frocks at your disposal?"

Old 10-06-2023, 11:40 AM

2,533 posts, read 3,098,004 times
If this country had been settled by normal Europeans and not religious fanatics, this prudishness would have never existed over here.

Old 01-17-2024, 06:59 PM

15,595 posts, read 15,655,549 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
It is rather in your face, even by modern standards; I find myself sharing the servant's apparent sense of distress.
Recalls to mind the infamous stage actress Tallulah Bankhead's longtime habit of parading around buck naked in her dressing room at the Shubert Theatre with the door wide open. "Why do you do that," her friend Estelle Winwood asked her, "When you have so many lovely frocks at your disposal?"
Nice story!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zenstyle View Post
If this country had been settled by normal Europeans and not religious fanatics, this prudishness would have never existed over here.
Not sure I agree. Maybe it's, If this country had been settled by the French and not the British, this prudishness would have never existed over here.

Old 01-18-2024, 01:37 PM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cida View Post
Nice story!

Not sure I agree. Maybe it's, If this country had been settled by the French and not the British, this prudishness would have never existed over here.
My comment was made in jest and not out of a sense of moral outrage, FWIW. I'm a retired art professor, for Minerva's sake.

Old 01-24-2024, 12:17 AM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,205 times
Not having a login to the NYT, here's the work:

Old 03-27-2024, 10:44 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,205 times

Old 03-29-2024, 05:48 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
I have found the general [outraged] response to this painting hilarious. IMHO, it isn’t the nudity that is scandalous—there are many, many female nudes in the history of art—especially French art—that show a lot more skin than Olympia. But this painting actually shows the object becoming the subject by returning the viewer’s gaze.
And to make the painting even more scandalous, I have long argued (based on an interpretation provided by an historian in a book I purchased long ago at the Musee d’Orsay) that the subject of the painting is not just a woman in her boudoir but, rather, a successful prostitute. In such an interpretation, the flowers are a present from a client; the woman’s expression is non-plussed because, as a sex worker, she is not only comfortable with her nudity in private but, also, with it being on display; and, as my former French teacher put it so well, her direct gaze at the viewer transforms them into a client.
Scandalous indeed.
I was so disappointed to have missed this exhibit but, living in MA, the journey to New York would have been difficult. I do hope that a similar exhibit comes to Boston at some point.

Old 03-30-2024, 08:12 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarlaJane View Post
I have found the general [outraged] response to this painting hilarious. IMHO, it isn’t the nudity that is scandalous—there are many, many female nudes in the history of art—especially French art—that show a lot more skin than Olympia. But this painting actually shows the object becoming the subject by returning the viewer’s gaze.
And to make the painting even more scandalous, I have long argued (based on an interpretation provided by an historian in a book I purchased long ago at the Musee d’Orsay) that the subject of the painting is not just a woman in her boudoir but, rather, a successful prostitute. In such an interpretation, the flowers are a present from a client; the woman’s expression is non-plussed because, as a sex worker, she is not only comfortable with her nudity in private but, also, with it being on display; and, as my former French teacher put it so well, her direct gaze at the viewer transforms them into a client.
Scandalous indeed.
I was so disappointed to have missed this exhibit but, living in MA, the journey to New York would have been difficult. I do hope that a similar exhibit comes to Boston at some point.
I agree. I was taught that the painting was scandalous because she was a courtesan and brazen about it.

Old 03-30-2024, 10:46 AM

5,010 posts, read 10,686,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I agree. I was taught that the painting was scandalous because she was a courtesan and brazen about it.
So glad you mentioned this because, every time I’ve said that she was a sex worker, the response has been usually, “No, she wasn’t,” which I have never understood. It’s so obvious. And Manet died of syphillis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts