Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2022, 04:04 PM

554 posts, read 347,000 times

Advertisements

My Father and I saw Camelot with Richard Burton in San Francisco in the early 80’s. I think it was 80 or 81.

When Richard Burton walked onto the stage singing “if ever I would leave you” he was captivating ! I still clearly remember this. My Dad and I looked at each other like Wow !

I don’t really recall the other actors that well because Richard Burton was so intense and such a powerful stage presence.

Great evening ! One of those wonderful pleasant surprises in life you always remember.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2023, 11:24 AM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coney View Post
^Still not as dull as reading the very long and confusing original novel, lol.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave New World View Post

LOL - we were forced to read Shakespeare and Chaucer at school, so I can sympathise.
Translation, or outdated language format deprive the reader of some of the beauty of prose.

Old 01-31-2023, 07:53 AM

2,975 posts, read 1,645,736 times
Have seen several Broadway and Off-Broadway productions, the standout being, as cliche as it sounds, Cats when it first came to the US early 80s, at the Wintergarden. House was packed it was the hottest ticket in town. The costumes and makeup were so creative. And of course the music.

Also seen a lot in the West End, a misguided production of Cabaret . The very attractive cast was naked half the time, who knew nudity could be so unsexy.

Pirates of Penzance at the Savoy was fun, especially in that theatre.

But the standout, the best time I've had in a theatre was Tophat at the Aldwych. The theatre itself is gorgeous, gold satin curtain. We were in my favorite seats in a theatre, center first row first balcony. Sparkling talented cast, Irving Berlin music, outstanding orchestra, costumes, sets, everything clicked. We got the original cast cd, listened many times. Always enjoyable.

Last edited by RubyandPearl; 01-31-2023 at 08:12 AM..

Old 01-31-2023, 12:16 PM

4,899 posts, read 6,225,763 times
My first show was Grease at the Kingston Mines Theatre in 1971.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Webber/Rice have done "ok" in the musical theater realm.

Old 01-31-2023, 03:52 PM

23,600 posts, read 70,412,676 times
That would have been the Stowe Playhouse. Weston was the Vermont town that had the greater live theatre chops. There are others that have come and gone.

Most impactful? Sitting front row of Liza with a Z and being pelted with her sweat and sequins.
Man of La Mancha, seen as a youngster, impressed me with the stagecraft as well as the story and music.

Old 02-02-2023, 01:43 PM

2,975 posts, read 1,645,736 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baileyvpotter View Post
My first show was Grease at the Kingston Mines Theatre in 1971.

My husband saw Grease years ago in NYC, said it was awesome and so much fun.

Stagecraft with the cars, Greased Lightning, school dance, Beauty School Dropout, etc etc.

Old 02-02-2023, 09:48 PM

35,064 posts, read 17,014,369 times
My wife and I saw Pictures From Home tonight at Studio 54, now legitimate theater. It is in the top two or three dramas I have ever see and that's a lot. I'm 65.

Old 02-03-2023, 12:27 AM

3,624 posts, read 3,411,405 times
I saw A Chorus Line at the O'Keefe Centre (as it was known then) in Toronto. Twice, actually.

I also saw The King and I at the O'Keefe. This would have been maybe 1984 or so, and it was the last tour with Yul Brynner. He was old and not in the best of health, but he gave it his all, and did a fine job. He definitely did not "phone it in"; he was into it as enthusiastically as he must have been the first time he played the role. It must have exhausted him, but you'd never know it.

I also saw The Little Shop of Horrors in London's West End. Very well done, and the plant attacking the audience was inspired. So inspired, in fact, that the local community theatre I was a part of, did the same thing when we did it.

Old 02-04-2023, 06:06 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I haven’t seen a lot of theater, but I’ve seen a few in NYC and Toronto, as well as traveling ones. I saw Yul Bryner in The King and I, Phantom, Cats, and a few others, but the one that knocked my socks off was Hair, in Boston, in about 1968.

The first show I ever saw was in the early 60s, with a church group, and we got to meet Forrest Tucker, who was the star.

Old 02-04-2023, 10:53 AM

9,132 posts, read 6,185,387 times
I saw "All My Sons" and was forever moved by the pathos of ordinary people performing immoral acts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts