Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2017, 01:32 PM

73 posts, read 108,980 times

Advertisements

After I'm done with an art piece, do I just take a couple of pictures of it and post it online? And do I have to make copies of it afterwards, like maybe 5, and hope someone looks to buy my artwork? How does the basics of posting online art work, step by step?

I've never posted any of my artwork online, let alone build up a following on social media. Do I need to be somewhat popular in order for someone to even want to buy my art? What if I'm introverted but create good artwork?

I really want to start make money off of my artwork, ever since I've been fired, I'm looking for ways to start my own business but will posting my art be a waste of time?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2017, 01:36 PM

1,519 posts, read 1,334,819 times
Try etsy,I use to sell my paintings on eBay.

Old 01-04-2017, 12:13 AM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Think it through.
What will sell your art work? The presentation of it on the internet. It has to be as good as the art itself, but cannot be any better.

You don't mention what you plan to sell. Is it a painting, a drawing, or what? What it is will determine how it should be presented. If it's flat and already framed and glassed, you will need to do something about the glass before photographing it.

The photography had better show your work accurately and neutrally, and that will take someone who knows how to work a camera and how to light it. A snapshot from a phone camera might not be the best presentation.

If it's a sculpture, then it's volume needs to be shown. Several photos will be needed, showing all sides.

If it is a single drawing, then plan for a single sale. Or if you want to sell multiples, then you will need to learn how to make salable copies; there are lots of techniques for this, and most involve printing, but prints don't all need a lot of fancy equipment to make.

No one ever starts out popular. The more work you do, and the more you present, and the more you work to present yourself along with your work, the more popular it may become, but you will have to be good enough or unique enough to be seen as an individual, not a copyist of someone else.

Fine art is all about emotional connection these days. That's very hard to define, and often, as hard to capture. Offering one piece won't get you very far. 5 is better than one, 10 is better than 5, 20 better than 10, but don't try to offer much more than 20 at once, because boredom may set in while viewing.

Show your stuff around locally first. Seek opinions from others, and take their thoughts seriously. Never be afraid to ask anyone you show if they want to buy the picture. Learning why they won't is as valuable as learning why they will.

Never take any rejection personally. Never take any acceptance personally either.

And don't expect to get rich. Art isn't a red-hot commodity any more, so if you have other skills, don't be afraid to try to sell those skill sets; an artist these days is as likely to turn a buck making a good leather gun holster as he is a fine painting.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:23 PM

892 posts, read 483,698 times
be careful about why you choose to sell it that way.
one online site 'lost' the resolution on artwork; another claimed to be closing only to transfer the artwork to a new site.
either way, be honest with yourself about whether you are prepared to handle less-than-ideal scenarios. you'll want to have a watermark to protect your artwork from being exploited that's big enough to prevent that. copyright it for sure.

what you love about your artwork is personal, and best understood by you. it's like a part of you. not everyone will 'get' what
you create, but that doesn't make it any less valid. there will always be someone out there who likes it,. like anything else about you.

keep creating for what it brings you. that's priceless. it's good if you can make a living otherwise & use the time off to do your art.
that time can be healing if your job uses a different kind of energy.

some venues that seem to work: art fairs in community colleges, person-to-person sales with a more direct connection. and use a contract to keep the exchange clear and fair. (Tad Friend has an excellent book for preparing to sell your artwork, with plenty of contracts to use inside).

Old 11-29-2018, 09:56 PM

2,671 posts, read 2,232,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 11thzodiac View Post
After I'm done with an art piece, do I just take a couple of pictures of it and post it online? And do I have to make copies of it afterwards, like maybe 5, and hope someone looks to buy my artwork? How does the basics of posting online art work, step by step?

I've never posted any of my artwork online, let alone build up a following on social media. Do I need to be somewhat popular in order for someone to even want to buy my art? What if I'm introverted but create good artwork?

I really want to start make money off of my artwork, ever since I've been fired, I'm looking for ways to start my own business but will posting my art be a waste of time?

I made a lot of money on Ebay.

Old 12-16-2018, 06:24 PM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
OP said: do I just take a couple of pictures of it and post it online?

That is easier said than done. Photographing art is not easy and online colors vary tremendously between different devices. I'm not trying to discourage you, just make you aware you will need to acquire good photography skills to present your art the best way online.

Many artists I know sells color copies of their original work, color Xeroxes basically. That keeps the price low and they keep the original. Many do this in an "open edition" meaning there are unlimited number of copies.

Should you worry about people copying your work? Sure, there are people in countries with weak copyright laws (Asia for example) that routinely copy whatever art they can find online that has good resolution. If you are a high priced fine art painter this could hurt your reputation, to have cheap copies for sale that you didn't do.

Whatever you do you will learn more than if you don't try and sell. Learning how to photograph your art, for example, is a good skill to have. Other artists might pay you to photograph theirs if you are good.

Don't fall for scams where you have to pay much to show your art. And never send anyone money, you will NEVER get it back.

Few years ago I read an article that said the most popular art themes had: landscape as subject, blue as predominant color and featured animals in some way. I don't do any of that in my paintings lol. I also don't sell online. But there are lots of artists selling online successfully and they won't tell you what their secrets to success are, you'll need to learn on your own.

Old 12-18-2018, 07:04 PM

323 posts, read 218,751 times
The one place that comes to mind...well 2: etsy and deviant art. But as others have said: protect your art! Trademark, postage, signatures...
You can also post on Facebook/ create an account for your art only: and there's buy/ sell section. Also, believe it or not, WORD OF MOUTH. Old fashioned just telling people about it. Visit local art galleries, meet people...

Old 09-03-2019, 07:54 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Someone just repped me so I came back to read this thread and wanted to add this suggestion:

Taking a picture of your art in a way that shows the size can really help buyers buy, because online everything looks the same size. This gets tricky if your art is not framed (getting every piece framed and on the wall is too expensive) but many of the BIG art sellers online do this, allowing buyers to see different sizes on the wall.

What big sellers do requires expensive software but you could take pictures of your art in different sizes on your wall and it will help buyers imagine it on their wall. I have done this with smaller framed art, taken a photo of it hanging over a table to show scale/size, then used Photoshop and removed the art and replaced it with new art I wanted to show.

This site does it with a drawing using a sofa which is a good start.
https://www.wayfair.com/sca/ideas-an...ze-guide-T1500

My normal abstract art is fairly large so when I show it I put a wood chair in the photo to show overall art size.

Old 03-03-2024, 03:25 PM

2 posts, read 324 times
Im not an artist but I do sell limited edition art prints via ebay.

Taking good pictures and a description of the art work helps. I also try to tie in any other historical information relative to the art work. Complete details of the art work, size, medium used, type of paint, the more information the more interest you'll generate. Also using different art forums to promote your name and art helps drive traffic through your store or website.

This is what's helping me thus far. When web traffic is slow I search for art forums discussion to join and promote my store. It really helps in spreading the word and driving up traffic.

Best of luck.

@09buynsell_store

Last edited by nyc24; 03-03-2024 at 03:31 PM.. Reason: broken link

Old 03-03-2024, 04:15 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jezku View Post
some venues that seem to work: art fairs in community colleges, person-to-person sales with a more direct connection. and use a contract to keep the exchange clear and fair.
I know this thread is old, but I thought I'd chime in. Can't say I've ever browsed the internet looking for original artwork to purchase. When I do buy it, it's something I come across in person that catches my eye and interest - either at art festivals, gallery events, in consignment/antique stores, or on display in public places like coffee shops/cafes.

If I wanted to buy a reproduction of artwork, something well known like Andy Warhol pop art, then I'd look online. But for a one of a kind piece I think artists will have more success with local venues or events where they can meet their patrons.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts