Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2023, 05:59 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,918,476 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andycastro21 View Post
This kind of proliferation of these abstract or pop art. Like any monkey can do. Don't bull**** people with this inferior trash. Jackson Pollock? Andy Bunghole? Damien Hurst? Etc. Any monkey can do that heap of trash.
Then I suggest you do it, and then you’ll be rich!

If you exposed yourself to enough contemporary art, even you would find something that you could connect with.

There are artists who make beautiful works out of actual trash. Artists see things differently.

Here’s a link to a beautiful work by El Anatsui, an African artist who made it from discarded wine bottle caps….literally junk.

https://akronartmuseum.org/media/exh...by-el-anatsui/

Last edited by gentlearts; 09-15-2023 at 06:11 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-30-2023, 08:00 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
I never believed in time travel until now. Someone is posting a thread from somewhere around 1940.

Old 10-01-2023, 07:07 AM

23,447 posts, read 44,056,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenMM View Post
I never believed in time travel until now. Someone is posting a thread from somewhere around 1940.
Let us not forget the chilly reception that the Impressionists received at their initial Salon exhibition.

During the 1860s, the Salon jury routinely rejected about half of the works submitted by Monet and his friends in favour of works by artists faithful to the approved style.[9] In 1863, the Salon jury rejected Manet's The Luncheon on the Grass (Le déjeuner sur l'herbe) primarily because it depicted a nude woman with two clothed men at a picnic. While the Salon jury routinely accepted nudes in historical and allegorical paintings, they condemned Manet for placing a realistic nude in a contemporary setting.[10] The jury's severely worded rejection of Manet's painting appalled his admirers, and the unusually large number of rejected works that year perturbed many French artists.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impres...-Impressionism

Every generation has its Philistines. The OP has shown him(or her)self the Fool in a single solitary post, and has blessedly moved on. There will no doubt be others.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:40 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
Then I suggest you do it, and then you’ll be rich!

If you exposed yourself to enough contemporary art, even you would find something that you could connect with.

There are artists who make beautiful works out of actual trash. Artists see things differently.

Here’s a link to a beautiful work by El Anatsui, an African artist who made it from discarded wine bottle caps….literally junk.

https://akronartmuseum.org/media/exh...by-el-anatsui/
Fantastic artist.
Saw a wonderful artwork in the University of Florida art museum in Gainesville FL.
Possibly the best artwork there....but there was also a horse sculpture by Deborah Gainsborough

Old 01-09-2024, 01:08 AM

1 posts, read 159 times
Not all artists are like that. There are still some good modern abstract artists. One that I just bought a painting from is Miguel Camarena. I don't think this piece of art is trash. https://miguelcamarena.com/collectio...ract-paintings

Old 01-15-2024, 01:28 PM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
AI art anyone? That will be the Next Big Thing. I grew up learning about Abstract Art in the 60's (although it started much sooner than that) through magazines like Art Today. It makes a big difference seeing it in person because it is almost always wall size, especially the canvasses of Franz Kline.

In the end, good art is good art, but one needs to experience the really good art to understand it. A lot of mediocre artists jumped on the Abstract Expressionist bandwagon way back when. So if all someone saw was that, yeah, it looks pretty weak.

A lot of this is individual preference too, and that's fine. I remember one day in San Francisco in the 80's there was an exhibit of all the big Bay Area Abstract artists on one side of the street, and a gallery show of Andy Warhol's prints on the other side. I got to go back and forth and compare things. To me, Warhol blew the Abstract painters away. I had never see his prints in person, they were BIG! The colors were JUICY! It was quite an experience. He really knew what he was doing.

Someone else might not like Pop Art, but I have yet to meet them. Whether or not you did though, those pieces of his did just that, they popped off the wall w/ color, line and contrast. The Abstract canvases had muted colors that were designed to be contemplated, while Warhol used a !&$#! sledge hammer.

Old 03-29-2024, 08:21 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
In 2 days I'm delivering my abstract artwork to an exhibition I've been entering for 4 years, this year I was accepted!
Someone asked my husband what the prize money was so I had to look it up and was amazed.
$50,000 for first place, $25,000 second place and lots of lesser awards, total for all awards is $125,000.

I have 1 in 400 chance of winning anything at all but will be interested to see the exhibition at ArtFields, Lake City SC.
Now it's clear why it was so hard to be accepted into this exhibition, top money attracts good artists.

Old 03-29-2024, 05:48 PM

11,632 posts, read 12,693,738 times
Wishing you good luck!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Entertainment and Arts > Fine Arts