Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2024, 07:39 AM

10,089 posts, read 6,420,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by hertfordshire View Post
2024 and we're still assigning genders to colors?? Really? So why is it acceptable for women to wear blue? Double standard much?
I agree. It makes me wonder what Tangerine and Kiwi green are appropriate colors for which gender to wear. I've certainly seen enough men wear them as florals in Hawaiian shirts, but perhaps solid colors are different. TBH, I don't really care, as long as the colors go with ones' skin tone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2024, 07:45 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,551 posts, read 81,085,957 times
I have no interest in what anyone clothing designers or manufacturers say about colors. I will wear colors that I like, and don't care what others think. Currently my most common shirts are pocket tees, mostly from Duluth. I have them in at least 15 different colors, none are pink. My flannel and "button down" shirts for work are all multi-color plaid.

Old 03-21-2024, 08:48 AM

8,050 posts, read 7,419,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post

Interesting side note - the author of "A Separate Peace", John Knowles, attended my High School. Oyster Bay Junior Senior High School in NY.
I get it!

Personally I bought my first pink dress shirt in the mid 80's, when most male office workers wore dress shirts and ties every day. Got a lot of comments along the lines of "Hey! Pink shirt!" and "Whoa! Pink shirt!" and "Look at this guy!". But in the last couple of decades pink for men has become more common -- or maybe it's me -- because I get zero comments when I wear pink now!

As for BB I've never owned anything by them. In my younger days when I was a fashion plate I was more of a YSL and CK guy even though I couldn't really afford it. Now I can afford it but I usually buy clothes from the bargain bin like the grumpy old man that I am! Actually that's not strictly true -- I will pay more for Made in USA garb if I can find it.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:28 AM

1,848 posts, read 867,463 times
I can't believe Pink Jazz hasn't come here to make his daily comment about men wearing pink

Old 03-21-2024, 09:37 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,394,719 times
A pink dress shirt looks OK on some men. But pink is pretty far down on my list of things that are flattering on men.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:44 AM

8,478 posts, read 4,724,709 times
Gendered colors are a figment of our imaginations. It’s quite literally a 20th century invention.

I like pink, but I generally like bolder colors and prints anyway. Walking through the men’s section is a master class in how to be boring. Gray, brown, black. Walk over to the ladies’ section and it’s a lot more lively; I’m jealous of the prints and accents women get to enjoy. I’m not cut out to be a cross-dresser so you won’t see me in a dress, blouse, or capris, but I can (and do) get away with some ladies’ coats.

This watch strap sees heavy rotation on the watches it fits because it’s lively and works well with pink, too! It’s a good teaser to my funky aesthetic.

https://cnswatchbands.com/products/that-70s-nylon-strap

Last edited by jcp123; 03-21-2024 at 10:02 AM..

Old 03-21-2024, 09:48 AM

2,282 posts, read 3,929,742 times
Pink was a popular color in the 1980s. I wore a pink-colored Izod or RL polo shirt as a college student. As an office worker, I wore pink pinpoint button-down shirts, which looked good with dark-colored suits. Casually, I wore (and still do) wear pink OCBDs. And let's not forget the obligatory pink power tie. It seemed like everyone wore one in DC in the 1980s.

Old 03-21-2024, 09:56 AM

7,326 posts, read 12,325,478 times
I don't own any Brooks Brothers since most of their items are out of my price range, but I own several items from a few other less expensive preppy brands in pink. One of my favorites for Spring/Summer 2024 brought back my favorite shade of pink, Fairy Tale.

Old 03-21-2024, 10:34 AM

12,038 posts, read 8,403,014 times
I appreciate a touch of color in male clothing but in my mind it would have to be a very young man who could wear all pink, or several other colors, without looking startling to me. Usually it strikes me as humorous, rather than unique and fashion-forward.

But in public life you'd never catch me trying to tell someone what they should or shouldn't wear.

Go for it.

Old 03-21-2024, 11:09 AM

16,414 posts, read 12,487,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheerbliss View Post
But pink is pretty far down on my list of things that are flattering on men.
Why is a color flattering or not flattering on a wide range of skin tones, just because of their gender?

I might make sense to say that pink isn't flattering to olive skin tones. But not being flattering to an entire gender has no basis.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Fashion and Beauty