Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-02-2008, 11:26 AM

5,412 posts, read 15,917,912 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Thank you. Another question:
Is it true that after a workout, the best thing to eat is protein?
Yes, protein is essential after a workout, esp. after an anaerobic workout.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 12:05 PM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
Yes, protein is essential after a workout, esp. after an anaerobic workout.
Thank you for your help!
Tomorrow, I get weighed, measured, and get the Body Fat Measured! I've got to pick up the pace.... not overweight, but really need the toning and health benefits.

Old 11-02-2008, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdlr View Post
Thank you for your help!
Tomorrow, I get weighed, measured, and get the Body Fat Measured! I've got to pick up the pace.... not overweight, but really need the toning and health benefits.
You're welcome and good luck tomorrow w/ the measurements. Don't be too caught up on the actual values as much as the month-to-month trend.

Old 11-03-2008, 10:04 AM

9,718 posts, read 14,254,577 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beowulf7 View Post
You're welcome and good luck tomorrow w/ the measurements. Don't be too caught up on the actual values as much as the month-to-month trend.
Thanks for the support. I sure need it, because this is getting more difficult, keeping up the habit. I've been on this routine almost 2 years, and have had good results. I just need to stay motivated, and be around positive people....as I said!

Body Fat was down, and inches down, 1/4 inch here or there. Good results are slowing down, but still happening. But, I will continue.
Maybe a new pair of workout shoes will motivate me more ???

Old 11-04-2008, 03:21 PM

^ Just be consistent about working out but be inconsistent on what you do. What I mean is frequently vary your exercise routine so that you don't plateau. Try higher impact aerobics, like running, if your body is capable of it. Try interval training where you mix in sprints and walks. And so on.

Old 11-06-2008, 10:14 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
Default please advise

I have a question. I want to lose 20 lbs and I can't seem to do it. I am not sure if I am exercising or eating wrong or what the problem is.
Here is what I typically eat each day: Breakfast - 90 calorie granola bar and a yogurt. Mid morning - piece of fruit, lunch -salad with 1 ounce steamed chicken and veggies in it. mid afternoon - fruit or a string cheese, dinner - fish, salmon or lean chicken, steamed green vegetable, salad, snack - granola bar. I don't eat bread, or potatoes. I drink plenty of water, no sugar drinks or juice only crystal lite. I exercise 4 times a week, for at least 45 minutes, either on an elyptical machine or I run outside. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please help. I might mention I am over 50 too....the weight just doesn't come off like it used too. I have never been really overweight, but I am 20 lbs overweight now.

Old 11-07-2008, 04:14 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
Chickrae, I am no expert, but it sounds like you are not taking in enough calories & your body is in "starvation" mode & holding on to every last morsel's calorie. Hopefully beowulf7 will weigh in on this one

Also, the 45 minutes 4 times a week is aerobic/cardio only? I would add on a weight lifting or strength training portion. Muscles burn more fuel than fat does, so put some muscles on your body & I think you'd see a difference.

Old 11-07-2008, 09:55 AM

4,589 posts, read 13,161,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chickrae View Post
I have a question. I want to lose 20 lbs and I can't seem to do it. I am not sure if I am exercising or eating wrong or what the problem is.
Here is what I typically eat each day: Breakfast - 90 calorie granola bar and a yogurt. Mid morning - piece of fruit, lunch -salad with 1 ounce steamed chicken and veggies in it. mid afternoon - fruit or a string cheese, dinner - fish, salmon or lean chicken, steamed green vegetable, salad, snack - granola bar. I don't eat bread, or potatoes. I drink plenty of water, no sugar drinks or juice only crystal lite. I exercise 4 times a week, for at least 45 minutes, either on an elyptical machine or I run outside. I don't know what I am doing wrong. Please help. I might mention I am over 50 too....the weight just doesn't come off like it used too. I have never been really overweight, but I am 20 lbs overweight now.
Sounds like you may not be taking in enough calories per day.....here's an easy way to find out and one that I often recomend to my people....

http://www.mommylinks.com/health/foodjournal.pdf

You shouldn't be taking in LESS than 1200 per day.....Without knowing your variables it's hard for me to say but I would recomend between 1500 and 1800 calories per day...healthy foods of course.

Also, cardio is great and it sounds like your doing great with it but what about weights? are you able to lift? Cardio is great for burning calories in the moment but weight training will consistently burn more calories throughout the day, as muscle burns fat.

if you do find your not getting enough calories try healthy foods that are packed with vitamins and cary a higher calorie count such as almonds (my fav) or avocado's....cheese and milk....those would be great "fillers" to ensure that your not shutting down your metabolism by sending your body into starvation mode.

best of luck

Old 11-07-2008, 05:23 PM

4,391 posts, read 9,480,600 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by piperspal View Post
Chickrae, I am no expert, but it sounds like you are not taking in enough calories & your body is in "starvation" mode & holding on to every last morsel's calorie. Hopefully beowulf7 will weigh in on this one

Also, the 45 minutes 4 times a week is aerobic/cardio only? I would add on a weight lifting or strength training portion. Muscles burn more fuel than fat does, so put some muscles on your body & I think you'd see a difference.
I don't feel hungry. I will sometimes eat oatmeal for breakfast too. I don't do weights at all, maybe that is the problem. I do an inner and outer thigh machine. I just wondered if it had something to do with me being older and my metabolism slowing down.

Old 11-08-2008, 05:11 AM

2,514 posts, read 4,953,028 times
well, yeah, they do say your metabolism slows down with age. But you can rev it up, especially if you throw weights into your routine. What is it they say? "A body at rest, stays at rest; a body in motion, stays in motion". I believe that refers to burning calories long after your workout is over; and lifting weight will help you reach that goal. I also have osteoporosis. Lifting weights helps to build your bone mass back up as well. Ain't gettin' old great???!!!???
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness