Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-01-2024, 04:22 AM

21 posts, read 3,662 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi View Post
Hi,

So, I'm 5'5 147 lb. got a little bit of protruding belly, although not super big (37" waist). got a twiggly arm, when relaxed, it's only 11" girth, never once hit the gym in my life. so, IMO, I'm not in calorie deficit (based on height v weight ratio).
Now, if I want to build muscle, multiple sources say I need to eat 2000-3000 calorie a day. lets say I eat normally 3 meals a day where each meal is a full plate of brown rice and shredded chicken breast sold in grocery store (the content says 20g of protein per serving, total 5 servings, spread into 3 meals, so, total is 100g protein a day). and then I supplement with 25g protein from protein shake. lets throw in 2 eggs per day, with 6g of protein per egg, total 12 g protein a day.
So, the total protein a day is 100 + 12 + 25 = 137 g a day (not sure how much protein in 3 plates of brown rice, if any). Do I still need to eat more if I want to gain muscle?
not sure how much calorie in that hypothetical meal plan just now, but it seems to be very far away from 2000 - 3000 cal a day. Can anyone help make sense of this?

Thanks
In short, look. Since you are a beginner, you first need to exercise for about 2 months to tone your body and smoothly move on to more serious physical activity, which already implies a larger number of calories.
BY the WAY, if you really want to build muscle, then start taking creatine. It's a super powerful thing (and it doesn't belong to something forbidden, it's just a supplement the same as protein). By taking it, you will increase muscle mass and at the same time your body itself will require additional calories (I mean, you yourself will want to eat more, since I know how difficult it can be to eat by force trying to gain "the right amount of calories").

In general, you are in the right direction, try to eat more protein and carbohydrates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2024, 08:23 AM

10,642 posts, read 7,852,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZacharyRaymond23 View Post
In short, look. Since you are a beginner, you first need to exercise for about 2 months to tone your body and smoothly move on to more serious physical activity, which already implies a larger number of calories...
I suspect he's been talked into eating more already because of a desire for bigger arms.

Although at 5'5" with a 37" waist, I would not advise an increase in calories.

Old 05-01-2024, 08:53 AM

7,335 posts, read 5,222,238 times
A couple points--

Exercise tears down muscle. Muscle is built up in the repair process during the rest period between exercise sessions. How long that rest period is between sessions depends on each Individual's own repair rate...usually less than three days between sessions (on each muscle group) is too soon.

Building muscle bulk is like building callouses-- give the torn skin time to heal and it heals in thicker. Don't give it enough time and it won't heal.

You don't grow muscle unless you fatigue it completely during a session...Ie- if you can do 5 reps but can't squeeze out the 6th, then you can do 5 reps forever and not gain...You gotta do the 5 then try hard to do the 6th...Before long, you'll be able to do the 6th-- at which point your goal is to do the 6, then try to squeeze out that 7th until you can do that too etc etc...When get to 8 or 9 then it's time to increase weights.

Higher weight/lower reps builds strength & bulk faster than lower weight/higher reps.

Old 05-01-2024, 10:12 AM

33,360 posts, read 26,587,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
A couple points--

Exercise tears down muscle. Muscle is built up in the repair process during the rest period between exercise sessions. How long that rest period is between sessions depends on each Individual's own repair rate...usually less than three days between sessions (on each muscle group) is too soon.

Building muscle bulk is like building callouses-- give the torn skin time to heal and it heals in thicker. Don't give it enough time and it won't heal.

You don't grow muscle unless you fatigue it completely during a session...Ie- if you can do 5 reps but can't squeeze out the 6th, then you can do 5 reps forever and not gain...You gotta do the 5 then try hard to do the 6th...Before long, you'll be able to do the 6th-- at which point your goal is to do the 6, then try to squeeze out that 7th until you can do that too etc etc...When get to 8 or 9 then it's time to increase weights.

Higher weight/lower reps builds strength & bulk faster than lower weight/higher reps.
Well, that's your opinion, but it's been found that you can build muscle by not going to failure but leaving a rep or two in reserve.
In a review published by the Journal of Sport and Health Science, it was established that muscle growth can occur without working to failure. The findings of the review suggested that trainees who did not train to complete muscular failure experienced similar increases in muscular strength and size as those who did.

https://www.menshealth.com/uk/buildi...ng-to-failure/

Old 05-01-2024, 11:12 AM

5,964 posts, read 4,229,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
It is often said you can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. I have to disagree. 14 years later I am still at that lower weight. Stronger at age 78 than I was at age 60.
People often repeat the line of "You can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time," but in my experience, this is true for experienced lifters and people who are already in good shape, but it's not true for beginners. Tons of people who are overweight and have bad diets will gain muscle and lose weight (body recomposition) if they take up an exercise plan and start eating better. That won't continue in perpetuity, but, as you mentioned, they are real gains.

People who are already in good shape usually need a good plan to get in better shape. People who are overweight and in bad shape just need to get moving and eat better....it doesn't have to be complicated, and results are easy at that point.

Old 05-01-2024, 06:30 PM

2,174 posts, read 3,614,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
People often repeat the line of "You can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time," but in my experience, this is true for experienced lifters and people who are already in good shape, but it's not true for beginners. Tons of people who are overweight and have bad diets will gain muscle and lose weight (body recomposition) if they take up an exercise plan and start eating better. That won't continue in perpetuity, but, as you mentioned, they are real gains.

People who are already in good shape usually need a good plan to get in better shape. People who are overweight and in bad shape just need to get moving and eat better....it doesn't have to be complicated, and results are easy at that point.

You are absolutely correct in that when I started that program I was not in very good shape.

My weight started to creep up recently. I have now dropped it back down and did notice a loss of strength.

Old 05-03-2024, 12:37 AM

13 posts, read 6,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Since the triceps comprises two thirds of your arm size, if you want to increase arm size concentrate on the triceps. As for the biceps, the waiter curl is not the way to go about getting bigger biceps. As mentioned already, do rows and pull ups/chin ups.

Four meals per day is better than three, and again, just eating chicken breast and protein shakes isn't going to do it.
if I choose lat pull down instead of pull ups, what's the recommended weight rep and sests?

Old 05-03-2024, 09:35 AM

33,360 posts, read 26,587,975 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi View Post
if I choose lat pull down instead of pull ups, what's the recommended weight rep and sests?
Have you even begun working out yet? At some point you need to get started. Start with a full body workout two or three times a week. The first week just do one set of 8-10 reps using a weight that will allow that number of reps. The second week do two sets. The third week do three sets. Again, 8-10 reps. Do this for two or three months before doing anything more advanced. Just do squats, bent over rows, pulldowns or pullups, bench press, overhead press, calf raises. Do some ab work.

Old 05-03-2024, 10:41 AM

13 posts, read 6,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Have you even begun working out yet? At some point you need to get started. Start with a full body workout two or three times a week. The first week just do one set of 8-10 reps using a weight that will allow that number of reps. The second week do two sets. The third week do three sets. Again, 8-10 reps. Do this for two or three months before doing anything more advanced. Just do squats, bent over rows, pulldowns or pullups, bench press, overhead press, calf raises. Do some ab work.
yep, tried pull up, it's just not happening. cant even move up, not even a bit

Old 05-10-2024, 12:29 PM

21 posts, read 3,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
I suspect he's been talked into eating more already because of a desire for bigger arms.

Although at 5'5" with a 37" waist, I would not advise an increase in calories.
Yes, that's right, you're right. I also think that he has definitely decided to increase the number of calories.

By the way, I forgot to specify how many calories he needs in general. It is definitely worth saying that in order to increase the amount of lean muscle mass, energy is needed. Energy = calories. However, increasing the number of calories consumed up to 3,000 is too much. 2300-2500 calories would be enough for him. But at the same time, it is worth monitoring the level of subcutaneous fat, and if this level increases, then it is worth conducting more active strength training, or eating a little less.

In any case, he should try to take creatine, this is indisputable, and then focus on his hunger level, and eat when he is hungry, while at least sometimes calculating the amount of calories eaten
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness