Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2024, 10:13 PM

13 posts, read 6,329 times

Advertisements

I'm 35. what's the recommended rest time for bicep? and what's for triceps (assuming bicep and triceps have different recovery time)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2024, 08:08 AM

2,296 posts, read 3,101,190 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bondi View Post
I'm 35. what's the recommended rest time for bicep? and what's for triceps (assuming bicep and triceps have different recovery time)?
Really, you shouldn't be focusing on those small muscle groups. You need to get bigger and stronger all over. Getting bigger biceps and triceps will be a byproduct of that. Work on getting enough protein and calories to build muscle while doing a weekly regimen of squat, bench press, deadlifts, overhead press, and pullups/chinups. Pullups/chinups will hit your biceps plenty, plus bench and overhead press will really hammer your triceps.

Look into doing the Starting Strength program by Mark Rippetoe, which is ideal for beginners looking to get strong initially. He has a whole website about it with tons of articles. https://startingstrength.com/get-started

Old 04-29-2024, 09:47 AM

10,642 posts, read 7,852,000 times
Quote:
..Do I still need to eat more if I want to gain muscle?..
No. You can actually get stronger in a calorie deficit.

If you want to "bulk up", then pile on the calories.

Old 04-29-2024, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
No. You can actually get stronger in a calorie deficit.

If you want to "bulk up", then pile on the calories.
"bulk up" here means gaining muscle mass? I want to increase my arm size, that means I need to eat more calorie?
do you need to eat like 5 times a day? my friend who's also starting up on training before me, complained that his weight hasn't gone up for almost for 4 weeks now since he first started training. he also hasn't seen any increase in his arm size, like at all.
he eats 3 meals a day also and mostly chicken breast and protein shake, and he has arm day every 3 days consisting of waiter curl 5 x 9-10 reps, triceps pulldown 5x 9-10 reps and hammer curl 5 x 10-12 reps. he's been doing that for 4 weeks and there's no gain at all. all the other days, he just does belly crunches and leg day

Old 04-29-2024, 06:00 PM

33,360 posts, read 26,587,975 times
Quote:
"bulk up" here means gaining muscle mass? I want to increase my arm size, that means I need to eat more calorie?
do you need to eat like 5 times a day? my friend who's also starting up on training before me, complained that his weight hasn't gone up for almost for 4 weeks now since he first started training. he also hasn't seen any increase in his arm size, like at all.
he eats 3 meals a day also and mostly chicken breast and protein shake, and he has arm day every 3 days consisting of waiter curl 5 x 9-10 reps, triceps pulldown 5x 9-10 reps and hammer curl 5 x 10-12 reps. he's been doing that for 4 weeks and there's no gain at all. all the other days, he just does belly crunches and leg day
Since the triceps comprises two thirds of your arm size, if you want to increase arm size concentrate on the triceps. As for the biceps, the waiter curl is not the way to go about getting bigger biceps. As mentioned already, do rows and pull ups/chin ups.

Four meals per day is better than three, and again, just eating chicken breast and protein shakes isn't going to do it.

Old 04-29-2024, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
Since the triceps comprises two thirds of your arm size, if you want to increase arm size concentrate on the triceps. As for the biceps, the waiter curl is not the way to go about getting bigger biceps. As mentioned already, do rows and pull ups/chin ups.

Four meals per day is better than three, and again, just eating chicken breast and protein shakes isn't going to do it.
what would be the ideal training for triceps? machine pulldown for triceps, incline DB kickbacks, or incline DB overhead extension? or something else?

Old 04-29-2024, 10:46 PM

5,964 posts, read 4,229,465 times
Quote:
ok, so, variation in food is simply to get diverse nutrients. but what about variation in training technique? lets say for biceps, if you only do preacher curl and no other training, but simply increasing the reps and/or weight, will it hinder bicep growth?
Yes. You need to vary your routine. This matters less for new lifters, though. But once the easy gains are gone, you'll need to mix things up to keep improving.

I remember when I was in 8th grade and could bench press 125 pounds. I maxed out one day, took a couple days off, and then maxed out again -- this time at 130. Repeat a few days later, and voila....135. I concluded I'd be bench pressing 200 pounds by the end of the next month, of course.

Old 04-30-2024, 12:49 AM

33,360 posts, read 26,587,975 times
Quote:
what would be the ideal training for triceps? machine pulldown for triceps, incline DB kickbacks, or incline DB overhead extension? or something else?
Close grip bench press and dips are compound movements that will produce growth in the triceps. Forget about DB kickbacks if you're looking for growth. I do like single arm overhead cable triceps extensions which target the long head of the triceps.

Old 04-30-2024, 02:26 PM

2,174 posts, read 3,614,137 times
Several years ago I was overweight by maybe 40 lbs. Also I was not very strong. My wife planned low calorie meals for me and at the same time I started going to the gym and cycling. Over a few months I lost that weight and became noticeably stronger. It is often said you can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. I have to disagree. 14 years later I am still at that lower weight. Stronger at age 78 than I was at age 60.

Old 04-30-2024, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don in Austin View Post
Several years ago I was overweight by maybe 40 lbs. Also I was not very strong. My wife planned low calorie meals for me and at the same time I started going to the gym and cycling. Over a few months I lost that weight and became noticeably stronger. It is often said you can't lose weight and gain muscle at the same time. I have to disagree. 14 years later I am still at that lower weight. Stronger at age 78 than I was at age 60.
congrats! could you share your meal plan and training plan?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness