Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2024, 09:03 PM

7,790 posts, read 3,382,806 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathrunner View Post
Wile E., you're reminding me that I saw a wonderful acupuncturist for sciatica due to a car accident (one year later) who was a miracle worker. I'm grateful that the idea popped in my head. I think it's worth a try if one can afford it. I was pain free after 4 visits of 1 hr each (30 mins. front and back) and it never returned. That, after seeing an insurance paid chiropractor who only helped me while continuing treatment. It works for some, but not everyone. I highly recommend trying acupuncture for any kind of orthopedic pain.

Yeah, it was actually my chiropractor that could not help me with my neck who sent me to this acupuncturist he referred a lot of people too. He had been holding out on me as it turned out. The problem with her is she moved her office from a mile from my house about 30 miles to a BFE small town way off the highway. Probably lots of clients followed her there. I actually saw her there a couple of times; but, until I am retired could I consider jaunting out there three times a week to work on an issue with her. I can go 4 times if it is something that nothing else is working and I am desperate. My brother actually saw her when he was here visiting from Colorado and was considering making a special trip to see that precise acupuncturist again (LOL - who cares about his sister when he knows of a good acupuncturist here).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-22-2024, 11:19 AM

7,159 posts, read 12,719,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimAZ View Post
The symptoms you describe might be lumbar stenosis, a narrowing of the spaces where spinal cord nerves pass through various channels in the spine. It’s often a chronic condition and does not “get better” by itself. One way to tell is a MRI that will show where the nerves are being pinched.
I have that (lumbar stenosis). I'm a writer so am at the computer quite a bit. Was getting a good dose of back pain most of the time.

Joined a gym. Have focused on exercises (machines) that build core and lower back muscles.

My back pain has almost vanished. I go to the gym 4-6x a week to do a work out. Gotta get out of the chair and build my muscles and get my circulation going.

Might work for the OP, too?

Old 04-22-2024, 11:24 AM

12,120 posts, read 8,509,193 times
A suggestion about hanging I learned from others in my swim exercise group that you don't have to invert yourself. Grab yourself a "noodle" that will bear your weight, go to the deep end and with the noodle under your arms around your back, relax and hang in the water.

This probably doesn't have as lasting effect as hanging with full body weight but it does provide late-day relief for me.

I start my day with my "dead rabbit." A friend gave me a furry, floppy gray pillow you can heat in the microwave that can be arranged for a perfect fit across the lower back and pelvis and gets things loosened up really well for me.

Old 04-22-2024, 12:22 PM

7,790 posts, read 3,382,806 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodestar View Post
A suggestion about hanging I learned from others in my swim exercise group that you don't have to invert yourself. Grab yourself a "noodle" that will bear your weight, go to the deep end and with the noodle under your arms around your back, relax and hang in the water.

This probably doesn't have as lasting effect as hanging with full body weight but it does provide late-day relief for me.

I start my day with my "dead rabbit." A friend gave me a furry, floppy gray pillow you can heat in the microwave that can be arranged for a perfect fit across the lower back and pelvis and gets things loosened up really well for me.

They did that to me about ten years ago when my low back was really stuck. They put weights on my ankles and I just hung with a noodle. We did other work in the pool too. But, that traction held me for at least three years. It was a game changer. They also told me not to go back to my chiropractor (I didn't as it wasn't working any longer either).

Old 04-22-2024, 01:14 PM

19,772 posts, read 20,360,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mordant View Post
Hm, for some reason I haven't tried either cold or heat. Now that you mention it, it seems rather obvious. I will experiment.
Heating pad is what's up! I will have back pain until I die, but this helps tremendously!

Old 04-22-2024, 03:03 PM

3,207 posts, read 1,056,797 times
I recommend Dr. John Sarno's book. The audio version is here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZTXjsexiDKE

Old 04-22-2024, 03:55 PM

20,147 posts, read 13,589,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpc123 View Post
I would suggest that before considering any kind of major thing (like surgery, for example), you first try the steps found in the book "Pain Free: A Revolutionary Method for Stopping Chronic Pain" by Pete Egoscue.

It not only worked for me, but also for every person I recommended it for. Yes, anecdotal, but don't trust me. Go read the Amazon reviews and decide for yourself.
That's the 2nd recommend I've had for Egoscue's book, so it's on my list -- thanks. We already had Mackenzie's book on the same topic lying around, so I'm reading that first.

Old 04-22-2024, 04:14 PM

11,094 posts, read 6,990,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by D217 View Post
Heating pad is what's up! I will have back pain until I die, but this helps tremendously!
The thing is, I got varying instructions from chiropractor and orthopedist. Chiro said no heat, orthopedist said heat. 3 years ago when I had hip surgery (and again 13 years ago on the other hip) I was told to alternate heat and cold, so that's what I do when needed. Now I'm back in an arid climate my orthopedic issues have dramatically decreased.

Old Today, 12:20 PM

3,552 posts, read 6,569,394 times
I have occasional lower back pain and I am over 50. The other day I was vacuuming like normal and the pain started. I didn't jerk my body, I just vacuumed like I've done a thousand times. I know this problem is common.

I tried taking an Advil to the recommended dosage but it had no effect. Do you think I should try more? It makes my uncomfy to think about taking so many pills.

It hurts when I'm in certain positions when my back is at certain angles. I'm fine when standing up straight. In terms of science, why did it start just then??

Old Today, 04:44 PM

20,147 posts, read 13,589,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
I have occasional lower back pain and I am over 50. The other day I was vacuuming like normal and the pain started. I didn't jerk my body, I just vacuumed like I've done a thousand times. I know this problem is common.

I tried taking an Advil to the recommended dosage but it had no effect. Do you think I should try more? It makes my uncomfy to think about taking so many pills.

It hurts when I'm in certain positions when my back is at certain angles. I'm fine when standing up straight. In terms of science, why did it start just then??
Medical science can't always explain stuff like that. And individual practitioners aren't always effective.

One osteopath I saw claimed that regular MDs often get very little formal anatomy classes, maybe a semester. I'm sure surgeons and certain others get more. But in my experience if they haven't been taught about something they are not usually very curious about it, nor feel obligated to investigate or seek advice from their mentors on behalf of a client, or even really to give you a decent referral.

At any rate I appear to have hit the jackpot with the physical therapist I drew. He specializes in low back pain at the clinic (a different provider from the pain clinic where I started this journey). He was extremely confident he knew the problem and what would work and what wouldn't. He gave me 3 simple exercises and I saw 50% improvement in two weeks. He has now added two more and I'm seeing steady improvement from there.

Counterintuitively, he's focusing on strengthening my pelvic floor (although he also has me starting to work on my gluteus medius and gluteus maximus now). The most effective single exercise is just sitting on a racquetball in a certain way (just forward of each "sit bone"), which to me is wild.

At any rate as to why something you do 1,000 times suddenly is a problem, likely it has been a problem for the last 500 times and it just reached a tipping point. But it's not like anyone can really tell you. Sometime we do things that are sub-optimal and our body absorbs the abuse -- until it can't. I have a separate problem with a family tendency to develop a "buffalo hump" at the base of my neck in back, and I'm starting to notice some discomfort after long periods of walking. I'm forcing my shoulder blades together and my head up when I walk. It feels awkward but it's helping. Often massage is good for this as well.

Bottom line, as we get older we have to tend more to our bodies, we are used to ignoring them and getting away with it but that eventually comes to an end.

I'd encourage you to either get a referral to PT if your insurance will cover it, or just google for YouTube how-to videos made by reputable PTs. There are a surprising number of them out there with a real passion for their work. Select one that resonates with you -- and then make yourself do the work.

A few inexpensive aids to consider buying -- a standard roll-up exercise mat, maybe a small wedge to support the curve of your back, that racquetball I mentioned, have a fold-up chair handy, etc.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness