Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-16-2024, 06:39 PM

265 posts, read 239,057 times

Advertisements

I started doing MMA, jujitsu, or cardio classes on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. I rest on Sundays. On Wednesdays I started lifting heavy for biceps and triceps to develop power. On Saturday I want to continue targeting biceps to be more consistent and progress to lifting heavier weight. By neglecting to lift weights with my legs, chest, back, abs and shoulders, can it negatively affect me? The classes I take are full body workouts, with no weights. It is mostly rolling, pad work, bag work, and body weight exercises. Thank you for your time.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2024, 09:06 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
I started doing MMA, jujitsu, or cardio classes on Monday, Tuesday, Thursday and Friday. I rest on Sundays. On Wednesdays I started lifting heavy for biceps and triceps to develop power. On Saturday I want to continue targeting biceps to be more consistent and progress to lifting heavier weight. By neglecting to lift weights with my legs, chest, back, abs and shoulders, can it negatively affect me? The classes I take are full body workouts, with no weights. It is mostly rolling, pad work, bag work, and body weight exercises. Thank you for your time.
For jujitsu, many practitioners recommend doing deadlifts, squats and pull ups. Listen to Ramsey Dewy concerning strength training for combat sports.

Strength Training for Combat Sports

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vN66op0oJd0

Old 04-16-2024, 09:22 PM

33,229 posts, read 26,440,532 times
Here's another, and better video by Ramsey Dewy on the question of strength training.

Calisthenics, Powerlifting, or Strongman for Combat Sports Conditioning

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jlZw06c-Lus

Old 04-17-2024, 09:37 AM

21,873 posts, read 25,139,139 times
Yes. Do what you want. If for you that's heavy curls and tricep pull downs to develop the guns, just do it. You don't need to justify it. Not lifting will definitely have a negative impact on MMA/jujitsu but again, what are your motivations. If you're doing BJJ for fitness ala people who take fitness kickboxing classes, maybe you don't care. BJJ is a good fitness class and if that's your goal not doing weigh training if you hate it could be the answer. Better to do the BJJ for fitness than do neither because you don't like weight training. OTOH, if you're really practicing the art to excel at it, you'll need to do things you don't like. Maybe not right now just starting out you may not be in shape that you should be considering lifting weights. Ask your instructor if they have any advise. Also depends how old you are and line of work. In my late 30s with an incredibly sedentary job I would consider weight training to just be essential for basic functionality in a way it wasn't when I was in my 20s. It's nothing crazy, basic home gym setup with some kettlebells thrown in for variety that takes me 20-30 minutes to do 3x a week.

Old Yesterday, 01:03 PM

6,459 posts, read 7,795,049 times
I mean do what you want but biceps and triceps would be at the bottom of my list I were to spend 1 day/week weight training.

Old Today, 07:19 AM

9,390 posts, read 8,360,377 times
Yeah doing things like back, chest, shoulders will indirectly work biceps/triceps so I wouldn't focus exclusively on those. You'll build them through other exercises that are more critical to gaining power and size.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness