Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 12:15 PM

9,436 posts, read 8,415,174 times

Advertisements

You can watch TV while doing cardio if that is really that important to you. Otherwise there are 24 hours in a day, with 8 hours to sleep you still have another 16 hours to find time to workout. If you work 8 hours, that's 8 hours left. You really cannot find an hour out of those remaining 8 hours due to "cuddling/tv time?" At some point you have to find priorities in life and if exercise and your health aren't priorities then the rest might end up being fairly meaningless as your quality and quantity of life will be diminished to some level.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Today, 11:43 AM

3,160 posts, read 2,712,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
My schedule is usually 3 days one week and 4 days the following week have time off. Work nights so motivation to get up early on days off is minimal. On days off have till 630 the latest in the AM to workout if want a 30 min workout. Working out on nights off are the only time see the Misses so that's cuddles, movies, and TV time.

Just curious how do you find time?
Squeeze it in the cracks. Set a routine workout schedule on weekends or days you have a little extra time. The YMCA (or any family-friendly exercise club with a pool and a kids area) is a great resource. Prioritize exercise over some other time-consuming activity.

I go for a run or go surfing on my lunch break at work instead of eating. I have a flexible schedule, so this works out pretty well.

I also jump in the trampoline, play laser tag, or bike/run to the park to play tag/frisbee with the kids when we have time (30-60 min) on weekdays. Usually between their after-school activities and supper. Or after piano practice but before bed.

DW squeezes in a workout at the YMCA between dropping kids off for afterschool activities (ballet, swim team, etc) and cooking supper.

We run on the treadmills together on weekends while the kids swim in the YMCA pool.

We also go for bike rides, walk downtown, go kayaking, swim in the ocean, and do other active stuff as a family for a few hours every weekend.

That said, if you're a working adult, you will have to prioritize exercise and pick something to dump. We purposefully neglect housework and yardwork. I don't think they're important, so I just do the minimum. If I kept my yard trimmed and DW kept the house like Better Homes and Gardens, we wouldn't have time for it all.

Semi-Optional Daily Activities to Trade for Exercise:
-Yardwork
-Housework
-Extracurriculars
-Couch Potato Time
-Visiting Friends
-Meals
-Sleep

Back when we were slammed with schoolwork (graduate school), DW and I would hit the campus gym at 11PM to squeeze in a workout before they closed, before going back to studying.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness