Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 02:35 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times

Advertisements

People of almost all ages can benefit from strength training, and I think it's especially important for older folks. But I never take pictures of ripped old guys at face value. With how common testosterone replacement (or "replacement" doses, wink wink) is, plenty of these guys on YouTube and elsewhere are really just on the sauce. They're doing the work, but they wouldn't look the way they look if they weren't hitting heavy TRT doses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 04:37 PM

10,551 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Way View Post
... That's not to say that you will set any world strength records at the age of ninety, but you can certainly become much stronger at that age as long as you're healthy and put in the effort.
Do you imagine yourself being stronger at age 90 than presently?

I suspect that the studies showing people gaining strength later in life are with individuals going from practically no exercise to exercises targeting specific muscle areas. Well yeah, they're bound to show some improvement.

Old 04-02-2024, 05:09 PM

10,551 posts, read 7,743,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I don't know what "calorie restriction" means..
No kidding-never heard of it? I'm surprised.

Well, here's a snippet that may be of interest:

"..An average person needs between 1,600 to 3,000 calories a day, depending on their biological sex, height, age, and activity level.

A calorie-restricted diet reduces food intake by between 20% to 40% while still meeting the recommended daily intake of essential nutrients...

... For this study, scientists examined how calorie restriction helped improve muscle health and conserve muscle function, as a decline in muscle mass and function is known to occur with aging.

“Previous studies have found that while people on calorie restriction were losing muscle mass, they did not lose muscle strength, which suggests that something occurred in the muscle that improves their performance, [and] we wanted to know what,” Dr. Luigi Ferrucci, scientific director of the National Institute on Aging and corresponding author of this study explained to Medical News Today..."

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...ntake-may-help

Old 04-02-2024, 05:18 PM

33,225 posts, read 26,422,483 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Do you imagine yourself being stronger at age 90 than presently?

I suspect that the studies showing people gaining strength later in life are with individuals going from practically no exercise to exercises targeting specific muscle areas. Well yeah, they're bound to show some improvement.
Yes. I do see myself being stronger at 90 than I am now unless I reach the physical limits of my strength potential before then. Oh, and assuming that I live to the age of 90 of course.

Old 04-02-2024, 07:59 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,166,204 times
Quote:
Yes. I do see myself being stronger at 90 than I am now unless I reach the physical limits of my strength potential before then. Oh, and assuming that I live to the age of 90 of course.
This is unrealistic for someone who has been genuinely strong in their younger days. If someone picks up training late in life, sure....might be possible. But if you actually trained for strength during your 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s? No way you'll be stronger at 90.

Old 04-02-2024, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wittgenstein's Ghost View Post
This is unrealistic for someone who has been genuinely strong in their younger days. If someone picks up training late in life, sure....might be possible. But if you actually trained for strength during your 30s, 40s, 50s, and 60s? No way you'll be stronger at 90.
We will see. I did say that I might reach the genetic limits of my strength before the age of ninety in which case it wouldn't be possible to keep getting stronger. But as long as there is room to improve, I intend to do so.

Last edited by Michael Way; 04-02-2024 at 08:10 PM..

Old 04-03-2024, 12:25 PM

985 posts, read 540,012 times
Quote:
I think you meant to post this on a different thread.
No, no I re-watched the video. He is definitely wearing earrings.

Old 04-03-2024, 12:53 PM

17,533 posts, read 39,113,698 times
Quote:
Ha, NO!!!. My personal goal is to keep increasing in strength to become as strong as is possible for me. None of this 'maintaining adequate strength.' That may be fine for you, but never for me.

If you choose to dismiss the video without even watching it, that's your choice. But it has good information.
That was a good video. Very good explanations as to exactly what happens, and informative without being too long. I recommend watching it. I forwarded it to my husband who literally asked me the other day if it was ever too late to build muscle (he is 70)

Old 04-03-2024, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gypsychic View Post
That was a good video. Very good explanations as to exactly what happens, and informative without being too long. I recommend watching it. I forwarded it to my husband who literally asked me the other day if it was ever too late to build muscle (he is 70)
Thanks. I hope your husband is encouraged by the video to get out there and start training. And you also if you aren't already.

Old 04-03-2024, 04:15 PM

102,195 posts, read 107,823,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Maybe the first question the OP should be asking is "Why bother?" Just maintaining adequate strength, flexibility and mobility in our later years should be our goal....Who ya trying to impress at this point?
Because building lean muscle mass helps prevent insulin resistance, or improves insulin sensitivity for people who already have a measure of insulin resistance. This tends to become more of an issue as people age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness