Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-28-2024, 04:36 PM

265 posts, read 238,705 times

Advertisements

Hello, I am looking for tips on swimming. A book recommendation for beginners would be ideal. I am new to swimming. I only know the freestyle stroke. I plan to stick with the freestyle stroke, until I improve. I currently do very few laps and I am seeking information on how to improve with swimming.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-29-2024, 10:37 AM

155 posts, read 229,301 times
Hi Mike,
I am a masters swim coach and competitive triathlete. I would suggest you look for a coached masters swim group in your area (assuming you are 18 or older.)
There’s a lot of resources online you can reference too, some you can send video of your stroke and technique to for advice and instruction.

Hope that helps

Old 02-29-2024, 11:09 AM

27,163 posts, read 43,857,618 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike2017 View Post
Hello, I am looking for tips on swimming. A book recommendation for beginners would be ideal. I am new to swimming. I only know the freestyle stroke. I plan to stick with the freestyle stroke, until I improve. I currently do very few laps and I am seeking information on how to improve with swimming.
I would recommend considering the breaststroke given it mixes in more leg movement than the freestyle, which can be primarily achieved through arm movements with slight flutter kicks. Check out the Swimming Strokes Book by Mark Young. It's easy to follow and has a breakdown of all four strokes.

Old 03-22-2024, 01:04 AM

966 posts, read 514,798 times
Reading about swimming is like reading about eating a chocolate cake. Just get in a pool, you'll figure it out. And find yourself someone to show you how the different strokes work. You really need to be doing it to learn it.

Old 03-22-2024, 03:55 AM

32 posts, read 19,531 times
The best way to improve at swimming is to just spend time in the water practicing. I'd also recommend filming yourself sometimes so you can review your technique later on. Most importantly, keep it fun! Some lessons with an instructor could help too when you feel ready.

Old 03-22-2024, 05:58 AM

9,432 posts, read 5,197,344 times
I am a lifelong swimmer who (this fall) got a membership to a new local pool so I could swim laps.

If you are brand new, you could take one lesson and have someone give you tips on how to improve your strokes and then just practice, cause that's really all it is. Get the mechanics down and go Or find a swimmer friend who could assist. The ubiquitous YouTube videos probably have something to offer too.

I do crawl (freestyle), breast stroke, side stroke and back stroke. 2 laps each, then repeat. I think back in the day that was referred to as individual medley (but the side stroke was butterfly, which I can't do anymore). It's a nice mix and my one hour passes pretty quickly.
I've been going since October about 3 times a week and see a difference in my body shape.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness