Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 11:56 AM

21 posts, read 30,405 times

Advertisements

I am considering running the Chicago Marathon in October but wanted to reach out about how likely it would be for me to do so.

Last March I suffered a fracture in my ankle while out on a run. I was in a boot for about 6 weeks. I then did PT for about 2.5 months before I started running again. I trained for and successfully ran a half marathon and 5k in late September, but I think I may have ramped up my running a little bit too quickly. I have been dealing with tibial tendinitis and have taken a break from running since October. Since that time I have stayed in pretty good shape. I have done gone to the gym and concentrated on biking, the elliptical machine, and lifting weights. I have been doing stretches and exercises to deal with the tibial tendinitis. I have also just resumed PT again in order to help deal with the issue. I am not sure when I can or should resume running again.

What are some running benchmarks for me to determine if I will be able to successfully and safely complete the marathon. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2024, 04:19 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Just whatever the lottery is. You have about 20 months so lots of time to ramp up. Ramp it up slow. Start well below the miles that you injured yourself and gradually increase, plenty of time so no rush at all. If you're going for a guaranteed it's really going to be on your half marathon time and previous running background. Qualify times are generally 3-4 hours for Chicago (depending on age/gender group) which is serious runner times. If you already have a good serious runner foundation dusting off the cobwebs and ramping up for a qualifying time by mid November to run Chicago next year is doable. If you do not have good serious runner foundations you really need a year, maybe two.

https://www.chicagomarathon.com/apply/

Old 02-22-2024, 10:30 AM

I am planning on running the 2024 marathon.

Old 02-22-2024, 06:33 PM

21,830 posts, read 25,102,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago33 View Post
I am planning on running the 2024 marathon.
Ah, so you already applied and have heard back that got your lottery spot

You should be good. Just ramp up following the old 10% miles. Ideally do multiple 16-20 mile long runs but you have plenty of time to get there.

Old 02-27-2024, 10:55 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
I am considering running the Chicago Marathon in October but wanted to reach out about how likely it would be for me to do so.

Last March I suffered a fracture in my ankle while out on a run. I was in a boot for about 6 weeks. I then did PT for about 2.5 months before I started running again. I trained for and successfully ran a half marathon and 5k in late September, but I think I may have ramped up my running a little bit too quickly. I have been dealing with tibial tendinitis and have taken a break from running since October. Since that time I have stayed in pretty good shape. I have done gone to the gym and concentrated on biking, the elliptical machine, and lifting weights. I have been doing stretches and exercises to deal with the tibial tendinitis. I have also just resumed PT again in order to help deal with the issue. I am not sure when I can or should resume running again.

What are some running benchmarks for me to determine if I will be able to successfully and safely complete the marathon. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thank you
When I did a marathon (slightly over 4 hours), all I did was run a 10k one week before. I feel if you can run a 10k fairly comfortable, you can run a marathon. It's around the 10k where I developed my runner's high, and after that, I basically skipped the remaining 30k or so effortlessly.

However, the next day, I developed terrible tendonitis in my ankle, which still flares from time to time. For reference, I'm 6'4 240lbs, but was more like 200lbs when I ran the marathon. I lost a lot of muscle, all of which I regained when I stopped running so much.

Old 02-28-2024, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
When I did a marathon (slightly over 4 hours), all I did was run a 10k one week before. I feel if you can run a 10k fairly comfortable, you can run a marathon. It's around the 10k where I developed my runner's high, and after that, I basically skipped the remaining 30k or so effortlessly.

However, the next day, I developed terrible tendonitis in my ankle, which still flares from time to time. For reference, I'm 6'4 240lbs, but was more like 200lbs when I ran the marathon. I lost a lot of muscle, all of which I regained when I stopped running so much.
Wow, all you did was run a 10k the week before? What kind of training did you do? That is quite the runner's high.

I have been dealing with ankle tendonitis. Any tips for fixing it? Besides rest

Old 02-28-2024, 11:09 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
Wow. You are not like the rest of us mortals. So you, a 200 pound guy ran a marathon after one 10K. And all was good to go. You are telling people to "just run a 10K" and you are good.

I used to do halves and it would take a long time of training to feel ready. I would aim for increasing my distance and hitting 14 miles before ramping down the week before and being able to do the 13.1.

I have never had a runners high in all my years of running. I liked running but never got high.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:15 AM

2,117 posts, read 1,456,642 times
Quote:
I would approach cautiously. Tendonitis is a fraying of the tendon(s). Typically an over use problem. If the tendonitis is not healed, you will just reshred the tendon(s).

I would actually train on a highschool or middle school track if possible. The track is padded and will cushion your gate. I used to train for my halves on a track. Even the 14 miles. Plug in some good music and find a way to track each lap so you don't get mentally lost where you are at. I have a trick if interested - if you think this is something you could or are able to do (track access).

Anyhow I would at least start out on the track.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Wow, all you did was run a 10k the week before? What kind of training did you do? That is quite the runner's high.

Well I was running 5k everyday for weeks. That wasn't necessarily to train for the marathon, it became my daily routine (I stopped lifting), and then it gave me inspiration to do a marathon. 10k was what I did the week prior to see how I would feel, and I felt fine, so I knew I could do the marathon. You generally don't want to do a lot of running right before, because you will be banged up right before you need to do the run.

Old 02-28-2024, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navyshow View Post

I have never had a runners high in all my years of running. I liked running but never got high.
I never got it either until I ran the marathon. It happened sometime after 10k.

Before, I thought I might have had it, but it was nothing compared to what developed during the marathon. Prior to my runner's high, I was checking my watch and second guessing if I was going to complete it. After the runner's high, everything was effortless. I was in a semi-dream like state, and was skipping all the way to the end. In fact, I picked up my pace and passed numerous people during this stage. When I completed it, I felt like I could do another marathon.

Then the runner's high wore off, and I had problem's moving around lol.

I think 10k is good enough to prove you can do a marathon. Now, if you're targeting a certain time, then I'd recommend doing at least 20k and hitting your pace.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness