Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2024, 01:55 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times

Advertisements

Doctors seem to fob us off with pain killers for arthritic joints....but now I want to help myself... I had a hip replacement done six months ago... I dont smoke drink. eat well.. and not overweight but did lose over a stone to help more when I first had problems eighteen months ago with my hip and leg.....Ive kept the weight off and am .. 130 pounds so not putting too much pressure on my joints... What I need now is the best exercise to do for my joints without doing any more damage.. Be glad of any help so that I might not have more surgery..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2024, 04:47 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times
Not sure how much are you into exercised and what are your abilities.
Would recommend for a start a gentle yoga and chair exercises. (check for printable charts online)
Swimming and dancing are helpful too.
There are lots of workouts on YouTube.

Some exercise suggestions:
https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis...osteoarthritis

https://youtu.be/3imMU8D1-k4?si=z7g3Q8lfwF6-bqJK

https://youtu.be/lHXmrYe6vQs?si=OaHOM0g1PhRucwl-

Good luck with your recovery!!

Last edited by elnina; 02-05-2024 at 04:58 AM..

Old 02-05-2024, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Not sure how much are you into exercised and what are your abilities.
Would recommend for a start a gentle yoga and chair exercises. (check for printable charts online)
Swimming and dancing are helpful too.
There are lots of workouts on YouTube.

Some exercise suggestions:
https://www.webmd.com/osteoarthritis...osteoarthritis

https://youtu.be/3imMU8D1-k4?si=z7g3Q8lfwF6-bqJK

https://youtu.be/lHXmrYe6vQs?si=OaHOM0g1PhRucwl-

Good luck with your recovery!!
thank you so much Elnina Im reading these now... wish I could swim but could still go to water aerobics.. I walk well now so can go quite long walks with the dog... but unfortunately my shoulder , arm and hands are now affected with arthritis so stops some exercise.. but I do very light weights.. but hope Im not making things worse... thanks again..

Old 02-05-2024, 06:47 AM

9,283 posts, read 14,890,077 times
Yoga is really hard- Tai Chi is better and easier for arthritics.

Old 02-05-2024, 08:14 AM

9,375 posts, read 8,345,252 times
Start very slow with brisk walks - 15/20 mins each day. Work your way up to 30-45 minutes to get the blood flowing. Do you belong to a gym? If so, there are very small dumbbells you can use as a beginner. Use Elina's posts for ideas on exercises and stretches.

Old 02-06-2024, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Florida2014 View Post
Start very slow with brisk walks - 15/20 mins each day. Work your way up to 30-45 minutes to get the blood flowing. Do you belong to a gym? If so, there are very small dumbbells you can use as a beginner. Use Elina's posts for ideas on exercises and stretches.
thank you..I do these walks every day with the dog.. .. and bought very light dumbells but wasnt sure if ok to use them as have arthritis in hands arm and shoulder ...but want to try and improve or at least try and stop this getting worse...Ive read about migrating arthritis and its frightened me... No Im not a member of a gym.. Id be too embarrassed.. I like doing exercise on my own at home.. I have resistance bands that Ive been using but not sure if its safe or not as no one has told me.. the rights and wrongs . so Im glad for all the input on here... thank you all..

Old 02-06-2024, 04:18 AM

7,234 posts, read 5,114,062 times
While I am an advocate of yoga for its effect on keeping one limber and its beneficial effect on the psyche, and an advocate of Tai-Chi for its benefit in helping particularly the elderly with their problems with balance & stability when walking, neither are "exercise" if we define that as activities that tax the muscles or heart.

Arthritic joints are irritated by movement, so isotonic exercises can cause further irritation- a Catch 22 situation- you need the exercise but it causes more problems....The compromise is isometric exercise-- pitting opposing muscles against each other-- flexing without moving. Charles Atlas was the first to recognize the benefit of this in his Dynamic Tension program, which he developed after observing lions stretching in their cages at the zoo.

To improve the strength in the hip girdle after a hip replacement, stand upright with feet shoulder width apart and flex the butt muscles & thighs for 6 seconds. Relax. Then repeat 2 or 3 times. Pretend there's beer can between the cheeks and you're trying to crush it.

Walking is also good, but it has to be at a brisk pace, not just a gentle stroll.

Old 02-06-2024, 04:57 AM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
The exercises shown in the link to Web MD are identical to those given to me by a physical therapist. I also have a list of exercises to do in the pool.

Yoga really helps me and I attend classes several times a week but I was doing yoga for a number of years before arthritis set in so the movements are familiar to me. You might try chair yoga.

I also attend senior fitness classes at the Y. If you have a community center or gym nearby, look into their offerings.

When I get up in the morning I can hardly move without pain but I start the day with a 45 minute walk and gradually loosen up as the day goes on.

I spend part of each day involved in some sort of exercise program and while I do sometimes get tired or bored with it all, I realize that it's necessary to maintain the highest level of mobility possible at my age.

Old 02-06-2024, 05:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
While I am an advocate of yoga for its effect on keeping one limber and its beneficial effect on the psyche, and an advocate of Tai-Chi for its benefit in helping particularly the elderly with their problems with balance & stability when walking, neither are "exercise" if we define that as activities that tax the muscles or heart.

Arthritic joints are irritated by movement, so isotonic exercises can cause further irritation- a Catch 22 situation- you need the exercise but it causes more problems....The compromise is isometric exercise-- pitting opposing muscles against each other-- flexing without moving. Charles Atlas was the first to recognize the benefit of this in his Dynamic Tension program, which he developed after observing lions stretching in their cages at the zoo.

To improve the strength in the hip girdle after a hip replacement, stand upright with feet shoulder width apart and flex the butt muscles & thighs for 6 seconds. Relax. Then repeat 2 or 3 times. Pretend there's beer can between the cheeks and you're trying to crush it.

Walking is also good, but it has to be at a brisk pace, not just a gentle stroll.
My walking now is good as is my balance... but in the first two months it was pretty bad and scary.. its more now to stop other parts of my body going down the same route... whether possible to stop the progression I dont know.. never knew that about Charles Atlas.. very interesting.. and thank you for your help...

Last edited by elnina; 02-07-2024 at 01:05 PM.. Reason: Fixed quote brackets

Old 02-06-2024, 06:05 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post

Weightlifting seems to help with my arthritic pain, especially in my lower back. I hurt the worst when I just sit around. My wife doesn't understand why I have trouble getting up from the couch, but I go to the gym and do squats and deadlifts. In the past 3-4 months, I've developed arthritis in my right hand. I was concerned that it would hamper my weightlifting. So far the only exercise it affects is dumbbell curls with that hand. I always feel much better leaving the gym as opposed to when I arrive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness