Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-08-2024, 11:21 AM

61,647 posts, read 87,001,838 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
Borage oil is suggested because of the anti-inflammatory effects of GLA (gamma-linolenic acid), an omega-6 fatty acid. GLA can also be found in other seed oils such as black currant and evening primrose oil. When comparing products, look at the cost to obtain 200 mg of GLA.
Starflower (borage) Oil contains about twice as much GLA as Evening Primrose Oil - in fact starflower is the highest known plant-based source of GLA (Gamma Linolenic Acid)
As the concentration of GLA in capsules is higher it means that fewer capsules are needed to provide the minimum level of 240mg GLA.
https://www.justvitamins.co.uk/blog/...-primrose-oil/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-08-2024, 11:43 AM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Starflower (borage) Oil contains about twice as much GLA as Evening Primrose Oil - in fact starflower is the highest known plant-based source of GLA (Gamma Linolenic Acid)
As the concentration of GLA in capsules is higher it means that fewer capsules are needed to provide the minimum level of 240mg GLA.
https://www.justvitamins.co.uk/blog/...-primrose-oil/
Consumerlab is suggesting one product from LifeExtension where each softgel provides 299 mg of GLA for 15 cents. They only evaluate a handful of products so there is probably something less expensive available,

Old 02-09-2024, 05:59 PM

1,779 posts, read 1,203,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by guidoLaMoto View Post
While I am an advocate of yoga for its effect on keeping one limber and its beneficial effect on the psyche, and an advocate of Tai-Chi for its benefit in helping particularly the elderly with their problems with balance & stability when walking, neither are "exercise" if we define that as activities that tax the muscles or heart.

Arthritic joints are irritated by movement, so isotonic exercises can cause further irritation- a Catch 22 situation- you need the exercise but it causes more problems....The compromise is isometric exercise-- pitting opposing muscles against each other-- flexing without moving. Charles Atlas was the first to recognize the benefit of this in his Dynamic Tension program, which he developed after observing lions stretching in their cages at the zoo.

To improve the strength in the hip girdle after a hip replacement, stand upright with feet shoulder width apart and flex the butt muscles & thighs for 6 seconds. Relax. Then repeat 2 or 3 times. Pretend there's beer can between the cheeks and you're trying to crush it.

Walking is also good, but it has to be at a brisk pace, not just a gentle stroll.

Never heard of this type of exercise as described here will look into it. Might be just what I need to add. (I know nearly zero about exercise).

Old 02-10-2024, 10:02 AM

25,554 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Doctors seem to fob us off with pain killers for arthritic joints....but now I want to help myself... I had a hip replacement done six months ago... I dont smoke drink. eat well.. and not overweight but did lose over a stone to help more when I first had problems eighteen months ago with my hip and leg.....Ive kept the weight off and am .. 130 pounds so not putting too much pressure on my joints... What I need now is the best exercise to do for my joints without doing any more damage.. Be glad of any help so that I might not have more surgery..
That was me. I thought I ate well, too.
I have changed my mind. I learned (or maybe I should say I now believe) that our addiction to processed foods, seed oils and a few other things contribute greatly to constant low-grade inflammation.
So I changed my diet to more meat based with eggs every day and almost no seed oils. Few vegetables of any sort, actually. Seed oils are marketed as vegetable oils, but they are not. I cook with lard and real butter and tallow.

Two years ago I went to the doctor complaining about a constantly painful thumb. He X-rayed it, pronounced it to be arthritic and offered to give me an injection if the cream he gave me was inadequate. That's when I made the changes.
I can't remember the last time my thumb hurt. I work out 3X a week, with weights, cardio and stretching. I don't do anything special, though, to affect a change in arthritis. Other than a permanent change in diet.

Old 02-10-2024, 10:11 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
I have RA, and the mantra is "motion is the lotion of the joints".

So I use all the joints that have arthritis. I do lots of cardio, I crochet to use my hands, I do weights, and the like.

The only thing I watch is no high impact, like running. My RA is in my feet, hands and lower back.

The more I work out, the better I feel.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-10-2024, 11:43 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
I have RA, and the mantra is "motion is the lotion of the joints".

So I use all the joints that have arthritis. I do lots of cardio, I crochet to use my hands, I do weights, and the like.

The only thing I watch is no high impact, like running. My RA is in my feet, hands and lower back.

The more I work out, the better I feel.
Im listening I know sometimes I just want to go to bed and put on the electric blanket.. but this wont help , so its exercises, I do have very light weights.. can I go heavier once Ive started with these.. I also took advice about Starflower oil and had them delivered today.. so Ill be keeping notes of when I started these to see if any progress with pain levels and movement of joints... thanks to everyone who took the time to answer me... youre all so kind...x

Old 02-10-2024, 11:52 AM

48,518 posts, read 34,807,002 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Im listening I know sometimes I just want to go to bed and put on the electric blanket.. but this wont help , so its exercises, I do have very light weights.. can I go heavier once Ive started with these.. I also took advice about Starflower oil and had them delivered today.. so Ill be keeping notes of when I started these to see if any progress with pain levels and movement of joints... thanks to everyone who took the time to answer me... youre all so kind...x
Aquatics mentioned earlier are good. Try some isometric exercises, like planks. Light weights are good, so are bands (inexpensive and portable).

Yoga / stretching is super helpful.

Start out with those types of things. You can do them while watching TV, listening to audio books or whatnot.

Just work your way up slowly, and see how your body reacts.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 02-11-2024, 02:35 AM

18,525 posts, read 18,732,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
Aquatics mentioned earlier are good. Try some isometric exercises, like planks. Light weights are good, so are bands (inexpensive and portable).

Yoga / stretching is super helpful.

Start out with those types of things. You can do them while watching TV, listening to audio books or whatnot.

Just work your way up slowly, and see how your body reacts.
Have small weights.. bands.. and a pilates ring..Im now on the Starflower supplements too.. so see how it all goes.. still waiting on x rays but I think we know its arthritis before results.. its just so worrying that it might move around and get worse... as would hate to be a burden to anyone.. or not be able to do housework and take care of myself..

Old 02-11-2024, 10:48 PM

11,630 posts, read 12,691,000 times
Do you have RA or osteoarthritis or both? You can have RA and it still won't be detected by blood tests. Then the diagnosis is made by patient description of symptoms and trial and error with medications. If it is RA, then the medications can help with symptoms. Usually they are Dmards or a biologic. NSAIDS, like ibuprofen, can help with the symptoms temporarily but they can irritate the stomach. There are some that come "coated" with famotidine to minimize stomach/GI irritation.

X-rays will not definitively indicate arthritis. They can look for the "space" between bones, but that doesn't indicate the degree of the cartilage loss. An MRI is a better type of image for this problem.

I've read so many studies about eating this or that to combat inflammation caused by arthritis. None of them are definitive and many of these studies are flawed. The tumeric supplements wonder remedy has already been debunked. Eating certain foods may help someone with mild symptoms or can prevent problems, but once you've got symptoms, certainly severe enough to warrant surgery, eating this or that does not help. I'm not big on reading about anecdotal stories. I like real numbers that show cause and effect.

A physical therapist can recommend exercises to relieve the stiffness without causing additional damage to the joints. Please don't try a generic class or video without consulting a professional. They can adapt the exercise for your individual situation. There are also occupational therapists or hand therapists that may help, but they only help you build strength. You can try squeezing soft putty that you can find on Amazon. In fact, Amazon sells a whole bunch of devices and soft clay/putty for arthritic hands. Arthritis almost always gets worse over time and I assume that Scotland's climate (cold and damp) is not the best for people with arthritis. For some people, it's worse early in the day and then after moving around, it feels better. For others, it can be the opposite. They can inject gels into large joints, such as knees and shoulders, but there are no gels for the small joints. I was told by my rheumatologist to only have surgery on a small joint as a last resort. Then, there's all that other stuff, PRP, stem cell therapy, steroid injections, that you can try too. As I said, it's all trial and error when it comes to arthritis symptom alleviation. You can also find more information at creakyjoints.org.

Old 02-12-2024, 05:05 AM

30,488 posts, read 16,198,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hollytree View Post
Yoga is really hard- Tai Chi is better and easier for arthritics.

I go along with this. You also do some exercises sitting in a chair. Might be easier to start that way then move into standing.

I'll add that just because a medicine is not prescribed doesn't mean it's safe. It can still interact with other meds you're taking. Don't just research the effectiveness of any actual herb/supplement you're interested in but also side affects and interactions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness