Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-07-2024, 07:58 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,652,676 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
I'm told by my physical therapist and physicians to exercise to keep the joints from getting stiffer. That's easy for them to say. There are of course different kinds of arthritis. My insurance pays for my PT and mine goes to the gym so he is able to tell me what to do and what not to do. The shoulder is a very weak area.

Every person is different; an earlier post notes issues with dumbbell curls, I have no problems with that, but rather some bench press machines.

I would avoid the internet tutorials except after the specific movements are identified. My ortho doc. is an older athlete. He and my PT who goes to the gym ideifilty which exercises and movements to "push through" and which ones to avoid.

The late Oliver Sacks was a competition weight lifter; in his last years he used a pool for swimming (not walking).

Some insurance plans are very generous with PT. It's worthwhile pursuing this.

One thing I do each morning and am getting ready to do now, is take a black foam roller and do a routine on that to loosen and straighten up. The only downside is that my cat likes to use my stomach as her trampoline. I can hear the joints creaking...but be sure to consult a PT first since if there are disc issues, a person doesn't want to exacerbate problems.
I also use a foam roller. It helps with soreness in my lower back and muscle soreness in other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
-Soaking in a hot tub helps, and heating pads
And this in capsule form, the number 1 rated natural supplement for joint pain. As we age, our bodies don't produce as much:
https://my.clevelandclinic.org/healt...yaluronic-acid
I've had both hyaluronic acid injections in my knees and took hyaluronic acid supplements. Neither appeared to do much good. Some research found the following:

Quote:
Hyaluronic acid injections are approved by the FDA for arthritis treatment, although an analysis of results from clinical research found that hyaluronic acid injections do not reduce pain or improve function and may increase the risk of serious side effects.
The shots are very expensive if your insurance doesn't cover them. I had an $80 co-pay each time I got them. The hyaluronic acid in supplements do not get to the joints. They are broken down in the digestive system.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2024, 08:32 AM

18,526 posts, read 18,735,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by webster View Post
I'm told by my physical therapist and physicians to exercise to keep the joints from getting stiffer. That's easy for them to say. There are of course different kinds of arthritis. My insurance pays for my PT and mine goes to the gym so he is able to tell me what to do and what not to do. The shoulder is a very weak area.

Every person is different; an earlier post notes issues with dumbbell curls, I have no problems with that, but rather some bench press machines.

I would avoid the internet tutorials except after the specific movements are identified. My ortho doc. is an older athlete. He and my PT who goes to the gym ideifilty which exercises and movements to "push through" and which ones to avoid.

The late Oliver Sacks was a competition weight lifter; in his last years he used a pool for swimming (not walking).

Some insurance plans are very generous with PT. It's worthwhile pursuing this.

One thing I do each morning and am getting ready to do now, is take a black foam roller and do a routine on that to loosen and straighten up. The only downside is that my cat likes to use my stomach as her trampoline. I can hear the joints creaking...but be sure to consult a PT first since if there are disc issues, a person doesn't want to exacerbate problems.
thanks for all of this.. and its what worries me about certain exercise as dont want my shoulder and hands getting worse.. all Ive been given is small hand exercises which I do but dont seem to help..

Old 02-07-2024, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I also use a foam roller. It helps with soreness in my lower back and muscle soreness in other areas.

I've had both hyaluronic acid injections in my knees and took hyaluronic acid supplements. Neither appeared to do much good. Some research found the following:

The shots are very expensive if your insurance doesn't cover them. I had an $80 co-pay each time I got them. The hyaluronic acid in supplements do not get to the joints. They are broken down in the digestive system.
Ive had to do away with my bath and had a walk in shower fitted..which is great as I couldnt get in and out of the bath before the hip op.. it was impossible..but I miss the bath and would love one now to relax in....Im not keen on the thought of these injections either as Ive read some bad reports.. so dont want to go near them.... although I would get them free on the NHS... I take two Flarin pills as soon as I get up but the doc said I can take 6 to 8 cocodomol pills each day for pain.. but Im not going down this route.. to me thats far too many to take.. ...I also dont have what they call Flare ups... the pain is there in my hands and shoulder constantly especially with preparing food. cleaning etc.. but I want to help myself and so glad the leg and hip pain has all gone as it was much worse than what I have now...

Old 02-07-2024, 09:04 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Good tip. The 'net says you can get this acid from natural sources--the top one is bone broth!

Makes sense, and if we can increase the uptake without supplements; all the better.

Old 02-07-2024, 09:09 AM

4,938 posts, read 3,046,341 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
The hyaluronic acid in supplements do not get to the joints. They are broken down in the digestive system.

Link please?

Old 02-07-2024, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbiz1 View Post
Link please?
I read about it on ConsumerLab, which is a subscriber site. Some of their information stated:

Quote:
Two small studies of a branded hyaluronic acid formula (Hyabest®(J), Kewpie Co.) suggest that 200 mg taken daily for up to two months may improve pain and stiffness in people with severe knee osteoarthritis pain, but appears to be no more effective than placebo for those with mild to moderate pain, or when taken for longer periods of time (Sato, J New Rem & Clin 2009; Tashiro, Sci World J 2012). In a clinical study of men and women with knee osteoarthritis, a branded formula containing a combination of hyaluronic acid and collagen, (Hyal-Joint®, Bioiberica) failed to show any significant benefit compared to placebo (Kalman, Nutr J 2008).

Old 02-07-2024, 01:11 PM

61,657 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
A bit off topic, but I've been reading how borage oil (available in capsules) helps quite a bit with arthritic pain caused by inflammation...

You might want to research for yourself online and see what you think...

Yes. This supplement is rich in essential fatty acids that can regulate the body's immune system and fight joint inflammation. The available evidence suggests that borage seed oil may improve the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.

And hyaluronic acid injections in between hurting, inflamed joints work like a miracle. Hyaluronic acid also delays further cartilage degradation. Look for
viscosupplementation.

Last edited by elnina; 02-07-2024 at 03:42 PM..

Old 02-07-2024, 03:58 PM

61,657 posts, read 87,023,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dizzybint View Post
Ive had to do away with my bath and had a walk in shower fitted..which is great as I couldnt get in and out of the bath before the hip op.. it was impossible..but I miss the bath and would love one now to relax in....Im not keen on the thought of these injections either as Ive read some bad reports.. so dont want to go near them.... although I would get them free on the NHS... I take two Flarin pills as soon as I get up but the doc said I can take 6 to 8 cocodomol pills each day for pain.. but Im not going down this route.. to me thats far too many to take.. ...I also dont have what they call Flare ups... the pain is there in my hands and shoulder constantly especially with preparing food. cleaning etc.. but I want to help myself and so glad the leg and hip pain has all gone as it was much worse than what I have now...
The Flarin is nothing else but ibuprofen. Taking it daily is not kind to your stomach.
Co-codamol is 30 mg codeine with 500 mg paracetamol (Tylenol) - this combination is more effective for pain than ibuprofen alone. Tylenol is not kind to your liver.
30 mg codeine phosphate is considered equivalent to 3 mg morphine

Repetitive motions are bad for osteoarthritis and should be avoided.

Old 02-08-2024, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
The Flarin is nothing else but ibuprofen. Taking it daily is not kind to your stomach.
Co-codamol is 30 mg codeine with 500 mg paracetamol (Tylenol) - this combination is more effective for pain than ibuprofen alone. Tylenol is not kind to your liver.
30 mg codeine phosphate is considered equivalent to 3 mg morphine

Repetitive motions are bad for osteoarthritis and should be avoided.
Taken onboard Elnina thank you so much..

Old 02-08-2024, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elnina View Post
Yes. This supplement is rich in essential fatty acids that can regulate the body's immune system and fight joint inflammation. The available evidence suggests that borage seed oil may improve the symptoms of rheumatoid arthritis.

And hyaluronic acid injections in between hurting, inflamed joints work like a miracle. Hyaluronic acid also delays further cartilage degradation. Look for
viscosupplementation.
Borage oil is suggested because of the anti-inflammatory effects of GLA (gamma-linolenic acid), an omega-6 fatty acid. GLA can also be found in other seed oils such as black currant and evening primrose oil. When comparing products, look at the cost to obtain 200 mg of GLA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness