Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 09:58 PM

5,464 posts, read 3,911,489 times

Advertisements

WaikikiWaves, you seem like a knowledgeable guy. Have you done any research into the physiological reasoning for the arterial stiffening associated with weightlifting? I currently run 6 miles every other night, do sit-ups and push-ups when motivated. I was considering integrating weightlifting into my regimen but I'd like to see more science on this topic
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2023, 02:21 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,559,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Marcinkiewicz View Post
WaikikiWaves, you seem like a knowledgeable guy. Have you done any research into the physiological reasoning for the arterial stiffening associated with weightlifting? I currently run 6 miles every other night, do sit-ups and push-ups when motivated. I was considering integrating weightlifting into my regimen but I'd like to see more science on this topic
Guy? Unless I missed it, I have seen no recent posts claiming a sex change.

Old 12-31-2023, 07:54 AM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
There's literally 0% chance the kind of weight training you'd be doing would have any risk of arterial issues.

Old 12-31-2023, 09:20 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blameyourself View Post
Guy? Unless I missed it, I have seen no recent posts claiming a sex change.
What are you going on about ?

Old 12-31-2023, 09:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
What are you going on about ?

Old 12-31-2023, 09:38 AM

Quote:
The studies are all over the place so I would not rely on them. Some find only high-intensity resistance training leads to arterial stiffness but low-intensity resistance training reduces arterial stiffness. Others find reductions no matter the intensity or increases no matter the intensity. Some found only increases when doing concentric focused reps vs eccentric focused reps. Others found increases only in the upper body but not lower body. And for others it was only isolated to people with hypertension and those who were borderline.

Aerobic exercise reduces arterial stiffness across all studies in comparison.

So when science really cannot answer the question I’ll answer from experience as I have been lifting weights for 30+ years and have competed as a bodybuilder.

How the average person trains, should not be a risk factor and the benefits outweigh the temporary increases in BP.

High-Intensity training regimens are a different story. After a certain level of muscle your body really doesn’t want to add anymore. You need to generate an extreme stimulus in the gym to turn on your body’s muscle building pathways. This stimulus is highly inflammatory and will lead to an increase in BP and arterial stiffness if you train like that regularly.

On a somewhat related note, I've known many bodybuilders who developed rhabdomyolysis from probably over training. Here is a case report: https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18091694/

Rhabdomyolysis is when enough muscle protein and contents spill into the blood due to excessive muscle damage. We generally only see this in people who undergo severe trauma (like being crushed in a car wreck). So this should tell you just how intensely some body builders train that they can get this condition.

Last edited by WaikikiWaves; 12-31-2023 at 10:15 AM..

Old 12-31-2023, 09:39 AM

Quote:

Old 12-31-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Yea elaborate. What are you saying ?
https://www.city-data.com/forum/exer...er-new-14.html

You appear to be saying you were a "very modest woman" in post 139 of this thread. Apparently that's not the case. My bad.

Old 12-31-2023, 10:11 AM

Quote:
https://www.city-data.com/forum/exer...er-new-14.html

You appear to be saying you were a "very modest woman" in post 139 of this thread. Apparently that's not the case. My bad.
I think it's fairly obvious I'm joking about the person I'm responding to being a "very modest woman" considering she was praising herself.

Old 12-31-2023, 10:21 AM

Quote:
I think it's fairly obvious I'm joking about the person I'm responding to being a "very modest woman" considering she was praising herself.
Got it. I didn't read it that way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness