Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2024, 03:10 PM

4,510 posts, read 2,651,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
55 lbs as 45lb bar + 5lb on each side? If so, maybe consider deficit pushups. Will get more out of your chest workouts.
I think the bar is 15 lbs, so that'd be 20 lbs on each side. This is safely controllable. Pushups are great but I can't do as many.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2024, 08:11 PM

10,385 posts, read 10,650,173 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeisureSLarry View Post
With regard to the difference between free weights and machine weights - I could bench 245 at my max free weights without a spotter flat on my back. People sometimes snicker at me because that it was what I claim my bench press to be and I could do about 5 reps at that safely. On machine that was well over 300. On incline 350, on decline much less. Hand position on the bar impacted how much I could lift. I have long arms - I have seen people bench 400+ with a spotter and they lift a couple inches - I have to lift a foot. You get much better results lifting free in terms of definition - the linear motion of machines seems to make the same result in our muscle tone. Don't worry about how much you bench, worry about doing it cleanly and if you can without risk I think doing less on free weights is much better than doing more on machine weights.
I usually bench with free weights. I don't think I have ever benched more than 240 lbs. with free weights. Occasionally I will use a Matrix plate loading bench press. I've been able to do 420 lbs. for one rep. Last night I did a combination of sets with free weights and the plate loading machine. I think if you can bench press without pain, you're better off using free weights. If you develop pain go to the machines. I'm 69 and I'm careful of what causes pain for me.

Old 03-30-2024, 03:08 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 5 days ago)

792 posts, read 372,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
I don't think there are any differences in terms of definitions between using free weights vs machine. I generally recommend beginner and intermediate lifters do free weights but as you become more advanced, and need to focus on one muscle at a time (if you hope to grow it), machines are better. This on its face may seem like a contradiction. But free weights, being inherently more unstable, work a broader base of muscles in your body and thus develop your base. As you become more advanced, these movements don't yield a good stimulus to fatigue ratio.

also you can incline 350 but do flat at 300? That's unheard of. People are almost always weaker on the incline vs flat. I've known a few freaks who were about even strength on both, but never one so stronger on the incline.
Sorry, you are correct, I think I had my terminology backwards. I could decline 350lb and incline much less.

Old 03-30-2024, 03:16 PM
Status: "Hello Darlin, Nice to see you - Conway Twitty" (set 5 days ago)

792 posts, read 372,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by villageidiot1 View Post
I usually bench with free weights. I don't think I have ever benched more than 240 lbs. with free weights. Occasionally I will use a Matrix plate loading bench press. I've been able to do 420 lbs. for one rep. Last night I did a combination of sets with free weights and the plate loading machine. I think if you can bench press without pain, you're better off using free weights. If you develop pain go to the machines. I'm 69 and I'm careful of what causes pain for me.
Good for you and good to hear you are still lifting. I have a spotter bar on my rack but now I tend to just do high reps, low weight. I agree with you that free weights work better, I think the lateral control you need adds core strength. Keep lifting!

Old 04-02-2024, 08:28 PM

5,827 posts, read 4,162,578 times
I'm not over 50, so I'm not going to comment on how this stuff changes as you age. But a lot of people have poor, injury-inducing form on bench press. They think it's a simple movement and is similar to a pushup, but it is not. The scapula can freely move with a pushup, but it cannot on the bench. This creates all sorts of unnatural movement patterns in the shoulder.

To alleviate this, the shoulderblades must be "tucked" down and toward each other, and the upper arm needs to be at a significantly lesser angle than 90 degrees to the torso. Your elbows need to come in toward your body. This technically hits your pecs less, but it is much, much safer than benching with elbows flared like many people do.

I'm a big fan of people staying strong as they age and lifting hard, whatever that means for them. But the biggest factor in that is just staying healthy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness