Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2023, 04:43 PM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times

Advertisements

I'm so happy, my new Fitbit was just delivered. My Christmas gift to myself. It sure has a lot of functions.

Anyways, - later...I'm on my way out the door for a super long, brisk walk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-23-2023, 07:37 PM

1,554 posts, read 1,045,572 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
I'm so happy, my new Fitbit was just delivered. My Christmas gift to myself. It sure has a lot of functions.

Anyways, - later...I'm on my way out the door for a super long, brisk walk
I love my Fitbit. Setting a goal and keeping track of my steps encourages to to try to reach my goal each day.

Old 12-23-2023, 09:48 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Yikes. Look more into what those functions are collecting and where they are going.

It's distressing that people are not only voluntarily signing up for surveillance like this, but paying for it!

Was there anything wrong with just walking and living life without it being monitored?

Doomed.

Old 12-24-2023, 12:24 AM

3,429 posts, read 1,558,536 times
What I find interesting is this trend of people physically capable of walking using these motorized carts to get around. I can't tell you how many 20 something I saw in those things on my last trip to Vegas. It was like a road rally there were so many of them. Some would park off to the side of a restaurant and walk in effortlessly (clearly they did not have any kind of a disability).

We've been at an amusement park in Orlando the last few days and it's the same thing here. In the meantime, I'm 40 years older than some of these youngens and logged over 20k steps yesterday.

It's very disappointing to think there might not be a cart available for someone that really needs it because of these youngsters.

Old 12-24-2023, 08:42 AM

5,010 posts, read 590,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Yikes. Look more into what those functions are collecting and where they are going.

It's distressing that people are not only voluntarily signing up for surveillance like this, but paying for it!

Was there anything wrong with just walking and living life without it being monitored?

Doomed.
What is really bothering you? The features on a Fitbit watch, or that I said I was happy?

Are you one of those people who believes happiness correlates with stupidity or self-absorption?

You are overreacting to a small thing - a watch.

Doesn't matter to me, my intent is to focus on the present, and what makes me happy.

Please excuse me now...I'm going for rejuvenating walk and track my steps.

Old 12-24-2023, 08:52 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
What is really bothering you? The features on a Fitbit watch, or that I said I was happy?

Are you one of those people who believes happiness correlates with stupidity or self-absorption?

You are overreacting to a small thing - a watch.

Doesn't matter to me, my intent is to focus on the present, and what makes me happy.

Please excuse me now...I'm going for rejuvenating walk and track my steps.
I wear an apple watch. I use it to track my steps as a guide to my activity level for that day. At the end of my day I always check my steps, and if I'm low, I may go for a run/jog. It's also quite interesting to see how your steps per day fluctuate even when you don't exercise. A particular busy day where I'm running around doing errands may get me 5,000-10,000 more steps than a leisure day - no exercise factored into both.

After all, if you're using walking partly to control weight/burn calories then just keep in mind it's not really that important what you do in any hour in a dedicated exercise program, but what you do over the entire day/week/month and devices like the fitbit/apple watch/etc allow for tracking this. You may find that you get more steps in per day doing a bunch of errands than when you do a brisk walk for 1 hour (your exercise routine) but afterwards lounge around the home for the rest of the day.

And maybe it's tracking my personal data, but I don't care. Makes for an interesting discussion though if insurance companies could get hold of that info.

Old 12-24-2023, 09:33 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post

Doomed.
There's nothing for them to be collecting, other than my steps, heart rate and sleep data.

Why would you be worried about anyone seeing that? The bigger question is why on earth anyone else would be interested in seeing it. The answer is: They're not.

Old 12-24-2023, 09:43 AM

503 posts, read 258,405 times
If someone wants to monitor steps or whatever, and makes the walking more enjoyable, none of my business. Likewise if someone doesn't use a monitor. What matters is we are getting exercise and enjoying it.

E-scooters ? Ha. Have encountered some young and apparently healthy people using e-scooters on the lake trails I walk. All they are getting is fresh air. Doesn't bother me. But if I think one is going to run into me then he and the scooter will end up in the lake. And I will keep on walking.

Old 12-24-2023, 11:44 AM

3,051 posts, read 2,027,362 times
My doctor is on the 4th floor and I prefer to walk up rather than get elevator with someone who is likely sick, long ride up.
Last time when I got to the floor I sat in the hallway trying to get my heartrate down lol for the usual BP readings and a nurse walking by asked if I was OK. No I wasn't gasping for air but it was nice she asked. Walking back down afterward was much easier.

I don't think less of people who don't/can't walk. My husband has gone thru dizzy spells, probably from RX pills, and he is generally health and definitely in shape. I have asthma and heavy exercise can cause heavy breathing. Walking is good for both of us physically and mentally.

Old 12-24-2023, 12:00 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkletwinkle22 View Post
My doctor is on the 4th floor and I prefer to walk up rather than get elevator with someone who is likely sick, long ride up.
Last time when I got to the floor I sat in the hallway trying to get my heartrate down lol for the usual BP readings and a nurse walking by asked if I was OK. No I wasn't gasping for air but it was nice she asked. Walking back down afterward was much easier.

I don't think less of people who don't/can't walk. My husband has gone thru dizzy spells, probably from RX pills, and he is generally health and definitely in shape. I have asthma and heavy exercise can cause heavy breathing. Walking is good for both of us physically and mentally.
Unless someone is physically handicapped or old enough, I don't see an excuse not to be able to functionally walk to accomplish day to day activities. If they're so cardiovascularly unfit that they cannot walk up a flight of stairs, that's all the more excuse to walk up the flight of stairs. More physically inactivity will just lead them to worse and worse health outcomes. Now if you're 100 years old, or are paralyzed, well then you have a legitimate excuse. But for the rest the excuse is becoming a self fulfilling prophecy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness