Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2023, 01:44 PM

2,020 posts, read 976,503 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
I am sure the dog goes for a walk more then once a day.
Immaterial. My MIL walks her once per day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Your example is certainly a gross exaggeration!

With a smartwatch/fitbit the calculation is done for them. As recently noted, 10,000 steps is not really a huge amount. Many people will accumulate that number before noon if they're active. ( And a morning person. )
Sigh. Well yes, unless you're tracking your steps accurately you really are just guessing (or lying). Like my MIL. And several sources show average Americans at the 3000-4000 steps per day range, well under half of the 10K number.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-22-2023, 02:03 PM

503 posts, read 258,405 times
Long retired ( at 57 ), now 76. For the past ten years I would work in the woods for 2 to 3 hours a day, weather permitting, using hand tools to cut down trees, clearing trails, etc. Gave both my arms and legs a good workout, and just plain felt good. No health or medical issues.

Recently sold my home and 15 wooded acres, and moved to be closer to family. Now I get to walk nearly every day, 2 to 3 miles at a time. Lots of lakes and paved walking trails within an easy drive. I love it. My legs are getting an even better workout than before, but to keep my arms and shoulders fit I carry a heavy walking stick and continually exercise/stretch my arms with it. Don't need it for walking.

I do not enjoy "fast" walking, nor slow walking. I know what pace works best for me.

I don't measure paces, but I do keep a record of hours and miles walked each day.

Old 12-22-2023, 02:37 PM

11,292 posts, read 18,872,835 times
I do a lot of walking in my job (I'm a middle school math teacher) and a lot of hikes and nature walks and very little other exercise. While I am what would be considered to be slightly overweight (but slowly losing it), I was told I have an EKG of a 40 year old. In fact (though some of it is good genes), most people think I'm about 15 years younger than I am when I meet them (it comes up when I mention that I have kids at the end of college/in grad school....I'm 56!)

If one can't or won't work out at the gym, walking is the next best thing and real easy to do and get into.

Old 12-23-2023, 07:56 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
I was curious and googled Walking for Health and found out it's a Harvard publishing book for $20. Fascinating to me that anyone would pay to read a book that says it's healthy to walk. The promo article says 22 minutes a day is good but even a one minute quick jaunt can help.

I just have to wonder who their target audience is. Who is so inactive that they have to be inspired to walk one minute? And how do people not get 22 minutes of walking in just living their regular lives? It's just depressing to me that there are people out there with so little regard for their own life and well being that they won't do a normal human activity like walking - walking enough each day to simply stay healthy.

Use it or lose it.

So yes, I'm a proponent of walking and I've walked extra to stay strong my whole life, plus I get other types of exercise in. I want to keep up with my grandkids, I don't want to be the old lady who shuffles along, I love hiking in the mountains. I want to be like my neighbor who still walked every day in his late 90's.

If walking is going to be your only form of exercise I think you really need to push yourself every day to go faster, harder, further. Otherwise you're just strolling around the block and not working out your legs, heart or lungs. But I guess moving a little is better than sitting all day.

Old 12-23-2023, 09:28 AM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaraG View Post

I just have to wonder who their target audience is. Who is so inactive that they have to be inspired to walk one minute? And how do people not get 22 minutes of walking in just living their regular lives?. .
A good question. Apparently there are quite a few. Who is so inactive that they need inspiration to simply stand up?

Yesterday I unfortunately had an extended wait of an hour in in the cell phone parking lot at Kona airport. Of course there were several other people there, most of them appeared to be waiting at least 15 minutes or so. I was the only one to get out of my car to look around, balance on one foot, etc. Incredible!

Everyone else was sitting in their car, looking at their phone. Not only that, most of them had windows rolled up with engine running to use AC. This idling car BS annoys the hell out of me. Folks, it was an overcast, relatively cool day in Kona with a lovely gentle breeze. At the least, shut the bastard off and roll down a window please.

Footnote: I did see a couple cab drivers in their zone on the perimeter of the lot. They did get out of their cars.

Old 12-23-2023, 09:50 AM

9,847 posts, read 7,712,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
A good question. Apparently there are quite a few. Who is so inactive that they need inspiration to simply stand up?

Yesterday I unfortunately had an extended wait of an hour in in the cell phone parking lot at Kona airport. Of course there were several other people there, most of them appeared to be waiting at least 15 minutes or so. I was the only one to get out of my car to look around, balance on one foot, etc. Incredible!

Everyone else was sitting in their car, looking at their phone. Not only that, most of them had windows rolled up with engine running to use AC. This idling car BS annoys the hell out of me. Folks, it was an overcast, relatively cool day in Kona with a lovely gentle breeze. At the least, shut the bastard off and roll down a window please.

Footnote: I did see a couple cab drivers in their zone on the perimeter of the lot. They did get out of their cars.
If I was in Hawaii I would be outside all the time.

Love that you were doing your balance work. When I'm standing at work behind the counter I am usually on one foot doing all sorts of leg extensions and knee bends.

Old 12-23-2023, 10:06 AM

1,428 posts, read 1,404,881 times
I love walking. Just finished a 30 minute walk and I’ll take another one after dinner.

This is the best weather for walking, imo. 30-40 degrees in the morning. I usually don’t like cold weather but I feel so energized after walking in cold temperatures.

I was at a conference a few years ago. There were escalators on either side of a large stairwell. I took the stairs going down, there were a handful of us. I remember looking over at the escalator and it was packed with people going down. It was that way the entire conference-a handful of us taking the stairs while everyone else took the escalators. Of course, there are people that have injuries which would prohibit them from taking the stairs, but it amazes me that people who are able to, don’t even bother and rather take the easy route.

Old 12-23-2023, 12:17 PM

2,040 posts, read 990,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynaydee View Post
I was at a conference a few years ago. There were escalators on either side of a large stairwell. I took the stairs going down, there were a handful of us. I remember looking over at the escalator and it was packed with people going down. It was that way the entire conference-a handful of us taking the stairs while everyone else took the escalators. Of course, there are people that have injuries which would prohibit them from taking the stairs, but it amazes me that people who are able to, don’t even bother and rather take the easy route.
I once worked in a three story building with an elevator and was amazed at the large group that formed at the elevator every morning...to go up one floor. It was literally faster to just go up the stairs. Of course, everyone had just clocked in so maybe they were just milking it, to get those extra two minutes to stand around doing nothing.

Old 12-23-2023, 12:37 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
I once worked in a three story building with an elevator and was amazed at the large group that formed at the elevator every morning...to go up one floor. It was literally faster to just go up the stairs. Of course, everyone had just clocked in so maybe they were just milking it, to get those extra two minutes to stand around doing nothing.
One annoyance I have is when riding the elevator is when its stopped on some floor for only the individual to go up for one floor. So you get stopped twice. Say you get stopped on the 4th, and then the 5th, because the person was too lazy to take the stairs.

And often times, they kind of realize it. Half of them kind of look at you meekly and apologize.

Old 12-23-2023, 04:01 PM

8,886 posts, read 4,573,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by heavymind View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
One annoyance I have is when riding the elevator is when its stopped on some floor for only the individual to go up for one floor. So you get stopped twice. Say you get stopped on the 4th, and then the 5th, because the person was too lazy to take the stairs.

And often times, they kind of realize it. Half of them kind of look at you meekly and apologize.
Good on you healthy folks for shaming those folks. I can tell you that I can not walk up (or down) a single flight of stairs. My list of ailments is too long to list on here, but other than my age, I look healthy enough. And don't expect me to apologize.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness