Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-09-2023, 11:26 AM

7,235 posts, read 4,543,736 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post
A fatter person will almost always have a higher TDEE than a smaller, skinnier person. More weight = more energy spent supporting that weight. Your heart needs to beat more to get oxygen and blood to the extra tissue = more bpm, more energy. Which is why fatter people have higher resting heart rates than skinny, in shape people.

I don't know this study, but I have been with bushmen in Africa. Suffice to say, the average American would not be able to handle their lifestyle.
You are assuming the people in new york were fatter. That is facts that are not in evidence. You should read the book, "Burn" by Herman Ponzer. He goes into a full explanation of how energy relates to the survival of species and how energy is constrained.

His thesis is that exercise is still necessary but that it is must less than the fitness industry likes to portray.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-09-2023, 11:40 AM

3,566 posts, read 1,493,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
You are assuming the people in new york were fatter.
But they would be.

Old 12-09-2023, 01:05 PM

2,024 posts, read 979,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arya Stark View Post
You are assuming the people in new york were fatter. That is facts that are not in evidence. You should read the book, "Burn" by Herman Ponzer. He goes into a full explanation of how energy relates to the survival of species and how energy is constrained.

His thesis is that exercise is still necessary but that it is must less than the fitness industry likes to portray.
I don't know that i've ever read fitness industry propaganda but like WaikikiWaves I just know that I'm happy to have chosen to exercise multiple times a week. I do not by any means over train; I could probably step it up a bit but I've chosen to favor consistency over intensity. My choice.

I'll refrain from sharing anecdotes about friends/family/acquaintances that have made different choices, but many of them make me extra extra happy with my own choices.

Old 12-09-2023, 03:57 PM

814 posts, read 442,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatglitters View Post
Lol, reminds me of the famous Fernando Lamas quote ~ "It is better to look good than to feel good."
An absolute classic character...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gX91JmUCaAE

Old 12-09-2023, 04:08 PM

814 posts, read 442,048 times
Quote:
If you guys don't want to exercise, you don't need to. You don't need a study to hide behind and feel better. By all means, don't exercise.

You can control your weight through diet. Or you don't need to control your weight, eat what you like. It's your life. Live it how you think will give you the best possible enjoyment while you're on this earth.

Personally, I love exercise. To me its a privilege. It's a privilege to be able to use my body, as I love my body, and I love being mobile. When I go on vacation, I wake up early to hit the gym before my wife wakes up (I even vet the hotels by their gyms, or if there is a good gym nearby). When I'm feeling a little sick, I exercise. When I'm feeling tired, I exercise. Because I love exercising. When I cannot exercise, I feel my energy decline and my mood shift.

What is so enjoyable about sitting on the couch watching TV ? What is so enjoyable about being sedentary? Life is about moving and being dynamic. Not a hunk of immobile flesh. YMMV.

I'm 62, been exercising for most of my life, but now lift only 3-4 times a week and do many more reps (no more heavy lifting). I have an active personality and like to speed walk. I do that about 5 times a week. Add in that I do my best to avoid sugar, eat healthy as best I can, and keep my weight low (5'10" - 175 lbs).

If exercising is bad for me then oh well. I just know my doctor is happy, my blood work always comes back good, I feel strong, and being in shape makes me happy.

If because of this I lose a some time at the end but keep the quality of life high, then I'm good with it.

Old 12-09-2023, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SickofJersey View Post

If because of this I lose a some time at the end but keep the quality of life high, then I'm good with it.
And you won't lose any time off your life span, and have a longer and higher QOL than people who are sedentary.

One eye opening experience for me was when on my 55th birthday, I suggested to a few of my friends (all around my age) we do a hiking trip to the highest volcano in Guatemala. At 13,800 ft, I have done longer and higher hikes, with this one being completable in around 6 hours (around 10 hours round trip).

My friends were all enthusiastic about it. But during the hike I never heard so much whining in my life. "My knees hurt." "I'm tired." "I'm hungry." "I'm dizzy." Meanwhile, I felt fine. And all my friends exercise a little, just not as much as me.

When we got down from the mountain and back to our house that we AirBnBed, they all passed out promptly. Meanwhile, I was left alone, on my birthday night, full of energy.

Use it or lose it, at our age.

Old 12-09-2023, 11:15 PM

23,212 posts, read 29,023,557 times
Back during the Garden of Eden with Adam and Eve:

Eve: You've been laying there for days now, you need to get some exercise
Adam: After killing that lion, we'll have food to eat for a week, and when we get done eating the Lion, I'll get off my butt and hunt down some other animal to eat, no superfluous exercise for me!
Eve: So you don't want to go jogging with me today, it'll be good for your health, and we'll pick some fruit along the way.
Adam: Let me sleep! I'll only get moving again when we run out of food!

Old 12-10-2023, 05:39 PM

814 posts, read 580,761 times
There are people who exercise and take care of themselves but still get sick with a terminal illness. Then there are people who do nothing and live forever. My mother's only exercise was to get up and change the tv channel until her kids were old enough to do it for her. She just turned 95 y/o.

If exercising makes you feel/look good then do it and enjoy the boost. There are no guarantees of anything in life, though, and exercising to hedge your bets might not work either. Meantime, have fun.

Old 12-11-2023, 08:05 AM

2,274 posts, read 3,074,714 times
Quote:
If that's not the study can you post that study here? Not an article, but the study itself.
This is the study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10274991/

Note that it's not even yet been peer reviewed, yet of course the media took it and ran with it already.

Another MAJOR flaw with this study is the fact that not only were the activity levels self-reported, but the last data used for the activity level data was taken from surveys in 1990. That's right: 33 years ago! As if results might not be impacted by any levels of activity done consistently SINCE 33 years ago. I feel like this study is going to just be brutally eviscerated once it does finally get peer reviewed as there are so many holes in it.

Old 12-11-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
This is the study: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC10274991/

Note that it's not even yet been peer reviewed, yet of course the media took it and ran with it already.

Another MAJOR flaw with this study is the fact that not only were the activity levels self-reported, but the last data used for the activity level data was taken from surveys in 1990. That's right: 33 years ago! As if results might not be impacted by any levels of activity done consistently SINCE 33 years ago. I feel like this study is going to just be brutally eviscerated once it does finally get peer reviewed as there are so many holes in it.
Thanks, I had a look. And you're right, they found a short term benefit for increasing exercise only in the short term. In the long term there was no clear benefit, but they noted that they had no way to measure if the physical activity reported 33 years ago was consistently followed through the end points of their study. Which maybe why there is a short term association, but no long term association. The last questionnaire went out in 1990, they just followed up on mortality.

This study is a great example of why trying to do this study is hard. Even if we are to assume that self-reported assessments are accurate, they would need to realistically send out this questionnaire every day to get a full picture of volume of exercise being done. Instead, what they're capturing is activity levels at the time of the questionnaire, and not really anything before or after.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness