Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-26-2023, 04:34 PM

15,943 posts, read 7,009,348 times

Advertisements

I have a pair of Sketchers slip on with great support. I decided to pack these for my daily walks while traveling instead of my usual NewBalance. I have ITB problem for which I do a lot of stretching and strengthening exercises which have helped a lot in gaining speed and distance back without pain. I am still not where i want to be but i am fine.
The Sketchers are not helping they slip at the heel which limits how much i can walk. But i do love the way they feel, light and comfortable and versatile.
I need to replace my NB walking shoes which have been very reliable. I dont know what new technologies have improved walking shoes which are usually clunky. Maybe there. I would like a pair that is good for walking, with good arch support, but lighter and easier to pack.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-26-2023, 05:35 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Can you go get fitted for walking shoes the way you can for running shoes?

Can you get those things you put inside heels of shoes to make them not so wide, the heel pads/grippers?

Try Brooks if your heel is narrow. That's what I wear for running, and when I first put them on I literally thought, "Whoa, wait, are shoes not meant to be loose/slide on the heel? Is this what most shoes feel like to most people??" Mind blown.

Old 11-26-2023, 09:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

Can you get those things you put inside heels of shoes to make them not so wide, the heel pads/grippers?

Try Brooks if your heel is narrow. That's what I wear for running, and when I first put them on I literally thought, "Whoa, wait, are shoes not meant to be loose/slide on the heel? Is this what most shoes feel like to most people??" Mind blown.
Thank you. Will try Brooks. Do you buy them online?

Old 11-26-2023, 11:04 PM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K12144 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
Yes, they have a website:

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...A&opi=89978449

I used to wear NB but my shoes kept coming apart. A running store employee suggested Brooks and I’ve been loyal to the brand for nearly 10 years. Just bought the Ghost Max and those sneakers are heavenly. Lots of cushion.

Old 11-27-2023, 03:23 PM

6,451 posts, read 3,967,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb2008 View Post
If I'm being fitted, no. Once I know my model, yes, I would.

Old 11-27-2023, 05:46 PM

6,968 posts, read 4,809,652 times
Definitely try the Brooks. I only work part time, but for the 5 hours a day that I work, I’m on my feet. I have arthritis in my toes, my toes don’t flex at all and are quite painful in the wrong shoes.
Brooks are pretty much all I can wear for work.
And they are fairly reasonably priced.

I would love to try the Sketcher slip ons, but I tried a different brand in a slip on a couple years ago, and had the same problem, the slide off my heel.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:14 PM

1,063 posts, read 905,556 times
wife wears these:

https://www.merrell.com/US/en/jungle...473519172.html

Old 11-27-2023, 06:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by puginabug View Post
Definitely try the Brooks. I only work part time, but for the 5 hours a day that I work, I’m on my feet. I have arthritis in my toes, my toes don’t flex at all and are quite painful in the wrong shoes.
Brooks are pretty much all I can wear for work.
And they are fairly reasonably priced.

I would love to try the Sketcher slip ons, but I tried a different brand in a slip on a couple years ago, and had the same problem, the slide off my heel.
Yes, i have realized to walk for fitness i need to lace up with sneakers. Sketchers are ok for walking on city streets or malls.
I have always replaced my New Balance with another NB walking shoes. They come in wide and have a high toe box which I need that. I think compared to running shoes, which are sleek, walking shoes will be clunky. I am not sure why running shoes are not suitable for fitness walking. I think they may not be as stable, instead more flexible.
I may have to do some to do some research online.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by king john IV View Post
these look like men’s hiking shoes, not walking. I like Merrels for dress and hiking or casual sandals.

Old 11-27-2023, 06:54 PM

9,521 posts, read 16,503,270 times
I do a ton of long distance walking. Unfortunately I have a left foot that goes from arthritis problems to Plantar faciatis. I have tried every brand out there through the years. I have had the most luck with Brooks and Hoka shoes. Just this past week I went to buy the Hoka Clifton, the sales person also had me try the Brooks Ghost Max. I liked them so much I bought them and they have the room and cushioning I need. I ended up buying a 2nd pair this week as the shoes are selling out. I recommend the Brooks Ghost Max for anyone that needs a roomy toe box, good support and excellent cushioning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness