Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-22-2022, 03:22 PM

846 posts, read 685,804 times

Advertisements

Here are a few things, I've learned:

1) Get in enough protein. 0.8g per lb of lean bodyweight is generally what most bodybuilders consume.

2) Since muscle is built more slowly than fat, "leanbulking" is generally better than "dirtybulking" (i.e. having a daily 300-500 calorie surplus instead of a 1000-1500+ surplus). Though, leanbulking is generally only recommend for skinny people; for average or overweight builds, weight loss or body recomposition is better.

3) Progressive overload. You need to increase weights, reps or intensity to build strength. Train yourself to near failure.

4) Be mindful! It's not just about reaching the highest weight or reps you can, but are you doing the form correctly? Are you feeling the exercise in the muscles you intend it to? Are you doing the range of motion the exercise requires?

5) Slow down. Some exercises, it's best to do it slowly to make sure the muscles you're targeting are getting a full stretch. Doing them too quickly can get you a lot of reps, but may not be the best for muscle development.

6) Patience. Muscle builds slowly. If you're a total beginner, it might take at least a year before you even look like you actually lift, so don't get discouraged early.

I'd like to hear any other tips you have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-25-2022, 12:44 PM

33,299 posts, read 26,501,429 times
Warm up thoroughly.
Don't overtrain.
Emphasize compound movements rather than isolation movements.
Stay away from PED's.

Old 12-26-2022, 08:29 AM

3,700 posts, read 2,421,963 times
OP,

Do you mean weight lifting?

I don't think you're referring to body building. The latter is a completely different thing that weight lifting and exercising and training.

Old 12-26-2022, 10:14 AM

10,356 posts, read 8,586,624 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
OP,

Do you mean weight lifting?

I don't think you're referring to body building. The latter is a completely different thing that weight lifting and exercising and training.
Op specifically mentioned bodybuilding.
I’ve jumped on him for making posts that were generalizing and or incorrect on other topics, but I think this post he made is pretty much spot on.

Old 12-26-2022, 11:05 AM

744 posts, read 415,863 times
First off, I don’t have genetics and you must be honest in your own assessment too. For me, I am very wide with a barrel chest and small calfs…I could not win a bodybuilding contest in my own neighborhood (I’m being serious!). Secondly, before entering this venture, know that Bodybuilding is a very very tough sport. Just to name a few requirements, you need genetics, great diet, work ethic and pharmaceutical help. Finally, I recommend being honest with your genetics and watch some YouTube videos from Jay Culter…NOT Ronnie Coleman who is a genetic freak (IDK, probably one in a billion genetics). Watch videos on people who were not successful…do you have better genetics than them?

Old 12-26-2022, 04:14 PM

4,259 posts, read 3,182,078 times
When it comes to bodybuilding, there are many ways to skin a cat. Remember the concept of "time under tension!" You can achieve results with either light or heavy weights.

Old 12-27-2022, 02:09 AM

24,673 posts, read 9,493,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aslowdodge View Post
Op specifically mentioned bodybuilding.
I’ve jumped on him for making posts that were generalizing and or incorrect on other topics, but I think this post he made is pretty much spot on.
Agreed, the post seems to be spot on.

Old 12-28-2022, 03:51 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,682,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lair8 View Post
Here are a few things, I've learned:

1) Get in enough protein. 0.8g per lb of lean bodyweight is generally what most bodybuilders consume.

2) Since muscle is built more slowly than fat, "leanbulking" is generally better than "dirtybulking" (i.e. having a daily 300-500 calorie surplus instead of a 1000-1500+ surplus). Though, leanbulking is generally only recommend for skinny people; for average or overweight builds, weight loss or body recomposition is better.

3) Progressive overload. You need to increase weights, reps or intensity to build strength. Train yourself to near failure.

4) Be mindful! It's not just about reaching the highest weight or reps you can, but are you doing the form correctly? Are you feeling the exercise in the muscles you intend it to? Are you doing the range of motion the exercise requires?

5) Slow down. Some exercises, it's best to do it slowly to make sure the muscles you're targeting are getting a full stretch. Doing them too quickly can get you a lot of reps, but may not be the best for muscle development.

6) Patience. Muscle builds slowly. If you're a total beginner, it might take at least a year before you even look like you actually lift, so don't get discouraged early.

I'd like to hear any other tips you have.
#3 is the most important. Many people don't understand this concept. You also need to keep the reps low, weight heavy, and lift to near or complete failure. If you can do more than 12 reps, you need to increase the weight on the next set.

Another point is don't try to combine cardio and weightlifting. (I'm not going to get into a debate over weightlifting vs. bodybuilding.) All the fad programs such as P90X, Insanity, UFC Fit, Body Beast, RIPT90, etc. try to combine the two. Do them separately and you'll get better results for each one.

Old 01-16-2023, 08:46 AM

846 posts, read 685,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Returning2USA View Post
OP, Do you mean weight lifting?

Not just weightlifting. But the development of muscle in general. This includes not just what we do at the gym, but also nutrition.

Getting in enough protein to build muscle.

Getting in enough micronutrients for energy/performance and overall health.

Calories. Too little will hinder our ability to build muscle, and give us less energy for lifts. Too much will cause weight gain, and even if we develop muscle; it'll be hidden under fat.

Old 01-22-2023, 04:02 PM

129 posts, read 172,917 times
I would add sleep in there. If you've trained before with and without adequate sleep, then you know that you progress significantly better when fully rested.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness