Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-25-2016, 07:14 PM

29,506 posts, read 22,620,513 times

Advertisements

Damn she hasn't aged well at all, looks like Michael Myers from Halloween.

Anyways, Ashley's waist is actually around 34 inches so there goes that criticism.

Cheryl Tiegs Criticizes Sports Illustrated for Putting Full Figure Model Ashley Graham on Swimsuit Cover | E! Online

Quote:
But Tiegs, who has been featured on Sports Illustrated's covers multiple times, doesn't agree with the magazine's choice to feature Graham. Tiegs opened up to E! News Wednesday at the 13th Annual Global Green USA Pre-Oscar Party and said she felt the magazine was promoting an unhealthy lifestyle by featuring her.

"I don't like that we're talking about full-figured women because it's glamorizing them because your waist should be smaller than 35 [inches]. That's what Dr. Oz said, and I'm sticking to it," she explained. "No, I don't think it's healthy. Her face is beautiful. Beautiful. But I don't think it's healthy in the long run."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-25-2016, 07:30 PM

4,053 posts, read 8,251,417 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

Anyways, Ashley's waist is actually around 34 inches so there goes that criticism.

Cheryl Tiegs Criticizes Sports Illustrated for Putting Full Figure Model Ashley Graham on Swimsuit Cover | E! Online
It's pretty disappointing that she feels that way.

Old 02-25-2016, 07:48 PM

597 posts, read 666,283 times
Geesh, what's the big deal. Ashley Graham is pretty hot. Curvy, with hips and full breasts. Why is that bad. Why not put her on?

I don't even think it's that big of a deal putting her on the cover. There's been a lot of "SI is so progressive for putting a "plus sized" model on the cover." But, let's break it down.

First, although she's obviously bigger than your typical model or Hollywood actress, who are often too thin IMO, she's hardly THAT big. We've all seen much bigger (and MUCH bigger) in our everyday lives.

Second, while I know beauty standards are subjective, she looks like any other "commercially beautiful" model in terms of her hair, face.

Third, she's not sloppy. Her skin is taut; no visible cellulite. She's more "thick" (which a lot of guys love) than "fat." And, she's proportional - wider hips and bigger butt balanced with a bigger rack. It's not like they put some saggy skinned, cellulite-ridden, oddly proportioned woman on the cover.

WTF is Cheryl Tiegs' problem?

Old 02-25-2016, 08:25 PM

2,071 posts, read 2,208,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suburban_Guy View Post

If you had bothered to google Chery Tiegs you would have found that she is 68. And that the picture used is not at all representative of her current look, in addition to horrible lighting, I suspect that picture is photoshopped by someone to make her look bad, or was taken shortly after an illness or surgery.

As far as Ashley Graham, 34" is a huge waist for a young woman. Mine is 31" and I am 6'1". I saw the cover photo of her, it is very criticism worthy given it is a sports magazine that promotes healthy life styles, imo.

eta: Reminds me when I was a kid, I would read the letters to the editor in SI, after the swimsuit edition, they would always include a couple that said that they were cancelling their subscription because women in bikinis had no business being in a sports magazine. I would expect this year there would be some letters claiming they were cancelling their subscription because fat women in bikinis had no business being on the cover of a sports magazine.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:21 PM

7,429 posts, read 4,672,937 times
Her face is a lot smaller for her body.

Old 02-25-2016, 09:26 PM

25,552 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Criticize Ashley and Queen Latifa will come and kick yo' ash!

Old 02-26-2016, 08:31 AM

17,533 posts, read 39,105,017 times
Ashley is beautiful and both me and my hubby think she is super hot. I never thought Cheryl Tiegs was good looking and she has aged horribly and with a lot of plastic surgery. She never had a nice personality either. Beauty is as beauty does.

Old 02-26-2016, 11:12 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,814,475 times
Lol, Cheryl Tiegs should worry about how she looks.

That said, the kudos directed to Sports Illustrated are a joke. They won't be, when they choose to put a "plus size" model on one cover.

Old 02-26-2016, 01:55 PM

758 posts, read 1,639,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert5 View Post

As far as Ashley Graham, 34" is a huge waist for a young woman. Mine is 31" and I am 6'1". I saw the cover photo of her, it is very criticism worthy given it is a sports magazine that promotes healthy life styles, imo.
I agree. And Tiegs didn't just make up that 35 inch number (as I've seen some suggest). It triples your risk of diabetes. Sounds pretty unhealthy to me.

Old 02-26-2016, 03:00 PM

2,160 posts, read 4,963,074 times
In Cheryl Tiegs' defense, it's not like she tweeted this sentiment, unsolicited. She was walking the red carpet and an entertainment 'reporter' pointedly asked her to comment on the cover. From that point on, there's a lot of grey area.

First of all, they deliberately asked Tiegs' because they knew she would give the controversial click-bait answer. Tiegs' either plain old just DGAF, because she's nearing 70 and is also the real life Patsy Stone from Absolutely Fabulous, OR, she's not media savvy enough to know that the entertainment tabloid papparatzzface was using her for click-bait, and thus should have given her the finger in the form of the canned and diplomatic response of "I think the cover is beautiful!". Someone like Cindy Crawford would have known better.

Second, Dr. Oz is a quack and a shill and anybody that cites him as a source automatically loses credibility. Also, so-called 'experts' who use arbitrary numbers as benchmarks for health...you should have a <35 inch waist; you should weigh 120 pounds; you should eat no more than 1200 calories a day; your BMI should be 22...generally have their heads up their asses.

Third, we are talking about the world of fashion models, not about health. I love when sanctimonious pearl clutchers turn these stories into hand wringing discussions about people's health. No one gives a damn about anyone's health. People just don't want to see fatties on the covers of magazines. As far as Sports Illustrated being a magazine about health & fitness, yeah m'kay. It's the People magazine of sports. It's not a fitness magazine. And the reason there are bikini models on the cover is because the target demo is men, and men like eye candy, which is all fine and good, but don't let's not pretend that anybody gives 2 farts about anybody's cardiovascular fitness, cholesterol, or propensity for the 'beetus.

Fourth, nobody in the fashion industry should be talking about anybody's health. We are talking about an industry that has promoted unhealthy body standards for CENTURIES...from the rib crushing corsets of the Victorian age for women pursuing a 19-inch waist, to the Twiggy era in the 60s, to heroin chic in the 90s. The fashion industry is notorious for taking already naturally svelte models, and encouraging them to get even more skinny by going on restrictive diets, diet pills, cigarettes, and drugs. And in this age, despite all that, the models are still photoshopped. As fat as we are in the first world, don't we also have the highest rates of eating disorders? Anorexia and bulimia are rampant, and now even in men. We can then argue that having a plus sized model on the cover of a magazine IS a good thing if only to balance out all that other bullshchidt.

Fifth, I know it's from the bygone era of Mad Men, but Cheryl Tiegs once shilled for Virginia Slims, so I think she needs to keep her Restylane injected lips shut.

SO HEALTHY.

Last edited by Docendo discimus; 02-26-2016 at 03:11 PM.. Reason: speeling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Exercise and Fitness