Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2024, 09:56 AM

1,051 posts, read 1,406,188 times

Advertisements

July 1943 the Husky operation took place in Sicily, it was a relatively easy maneuver, the gossips say that the brigands... rebels against the Italian kingdom... considered some secret agreements with the allies, which suggests that the geophysical unit was alien to existing social identity. in fact in 1947 a famous young brigante Salvatore Giuliano , probably aided by an American journalist, wrote to the President Truman asking to transform Sicily into the 49th star of the American flag, the proposal was not accepted so Alaska took that place. today things could be really different instead of the fiat 500 there could be more than one cadilac
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2024, 01:36 PM

9,415 posts, read 14,363,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miticoman View Post
July 1943 the Husky operation took place in Sicily, it was a relatively easy maneuver, the gossips say that the brigands... rebels against the Italian kingdom... considered some secret agreements with the allies, which suggests that the geophysical unit was alien to existing social identity. in fact in 1947 a famous young brigante Salvatore Giuliano , probably aided by an American journalist, wrote to the President Truman asking to transform Sicily into the 49th star of the American flag, the proposal was not accepted so Alaska took that place. today things could be really different instead of the fiat 500 there could be more than one cadilac
Which “existing social identity” is being referred to here? Who, exactly, coined the term and what is it in the original Italian?

Mario Puzo wrote a novel to some extent based on this tale called, well, The Sicilian, published in 1984.

In any case, from certain points of view, the Italian kingdom, and its successor, is, or was, an alien social identity to that of some Sicilians.

Be that as it may, those days were over a long time ago.

Do young people even still care?

Does it help or hurt to imagine what might have been?

Old 05-07-2024, 04:28 PM

1) Massimo d'Azeglio officially understood the cultural variety, still existing today in the Italian system, the poor sense of national unity is still going on , for example in the geographical area that surrounds me ...we feel very close to Austria living mode... there is under many aespects a not true national identity.
2) many people think brigandage is a social phenomenon from times gone by linked to the central and southern Italy, this is not true, the political power of brigandage is placed in the north Italy , ordinary people from north to south are not to blame.
3) The Italian territory host two independent states, one poses itself as a tax haven San Marino, the other is much more powerful and scary, it got control on banks, it can politically influence many other states, it has a mini army, all human knowledge has known its monasteries, it speaks to around 3 billion people in the world about soul and spirit,it is always alongside the political power in charge.
4) today's capable and intelligent young people are few, many are without identity,
5) The only fake brigante in the Italian context was Marlon Brando.
6) I am happy Italy is experiencing the Anglo-American Masonic influence, as you know communism is a terrible evil.
7) All the stuff above must be considered as ..late afternoon philosophy ..like all the simplicity expressed i in the outskirts Caracas bar...
8) I don't see
9) I don't hear
10) I don't speak

Old 05-07-2024, 05:18 PM

Quote:
1) Massimo d'Azeglio officially understood the cultural variety, still existing today in the Italian system, the poor sense of national unity is still going on , for example in the geographical area that surrounds me ...we feel very close to Austria living mode... there is under many aespects a not true national identity.
2) many people think brigandage is a social phenomenon from times gone by linked to the central and southern Italy, this is not true, the political power of brigandage is placed in the north Italy , ordinary people from north to south are not to blame.
3) The Italian territory host two independent states, one poses itself as a tax haven San Marino, the other is much more powerful and scary, it got control on banks, it can politically influence many other states, it has a mini army, all human knowledge has known its monasteries, it speaks to around 3 billion people in the world about soul and spirit,it is always alongside the political power in charge.
4) today's capable and intelligent young people are few, many are without identity,
5) The only fake brigante in the Italian context was Marlon Brando.
6) I am happy Italy is experiencing the Anglo-American Masonic influence, as you know communism is a terrible evil.
7) All the stuff above must be considered as ..late afternoon philosophy ..like all the simplicity expressed i in the outskirts Caracas bar...
8) I don't see
9) I don't hear
10) I don't speak
d’Azeglio and especially Cavour spoke more French than Tuscan.

Yes, the Italian State is powerful and scary, to its own citizens.

But other more powerful States run roughshod over its interests and its leaders are supine and corrupt. I am talking about the State, but there are many italies (minuscolo) with mini armies and political influence here and there, so that’s kind of fun.

Yes, communism was a terrible evil and the alliance with the western powers was a better outcome - by far - but there is no more communism and by now the Anglo-American influence is beyond suffocating and there will be no resuscitation.

Machiavelli recognized something similar on the eve of the European invasion.

Good Luck!

Old 05-07-2024, 10:05 PM

Yeah a new age incoming, the situation in general is not going well I hope the new Messiah arrives soon and saves us all

Old 05-08-2024, 02:15 AM

Quote:
Yeah a new age incoming, the situation in general is not going well I hope the new Messiah arrives soon and saves us all
Christ isn’t going to come down from the cross again because a few dummies didn’t see it the first time.

Let them save themselves this go-round.

Seriously, the European nation-states and offshoots of the 1500-2000 period will go the way of Sumer, father time requires it.

Take care, my friend.

Old Yesterday, 12:53 PM

7,437 posts, read 4,205,899 times
Quote:
in fact in 1947 a famous young brigante Salvatore Giuliano , probably aided by an American journalist, wrote to the President Truman asking to transform Sicily into the 49th star of the American flag, the proposal was not accepted so Alaska took that place. today things could be really different instead of the fiat 500 there could be more than one cadilac
Alaska was purchased in 1867 from Russia. Alaska was an US territory long before it was a full-fledged state.

Communism is one bad system, there are other equally awful systems wanting complete control of people. I'm not a fan of the EU and its control over country's immigration restrictions.

Quote:
"You'll own nothing and you'll be happy" is a phrase originating in a 2016 video by the World Economic Forum , summarising an essay written by Danish politician Ida Auken. The phrase has been used by critics who accuse the WEF of desiring restrictions on ownership of private property.

In 2016, Auken published an essay originally titled "Welcome to 2030. I own nothing, have no privacy, and life has never been better", later retitled "Here's how life could change in my city by the year 2030", on the WEF's official web site. It described life in an unnamed city in which the narrator does not own a car, a house, any appliances, or any clothes, and instead relies on shared services for all of his daily needs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You%27...%20Ida%20Auken.

The America system is not doing so well. It's basically like the late Soviet Union where all the leaders were past their prime. We have two geriatric men running for president. Biden, 81 years old, is showing sign of dementia. I'm afraid the Democrats have driven Trump, age 77, around the bend. The third candidate, RJK, Jr. was addicted to heroin for 14 years.

Old Today, 07:01 AM

They say a 49-star flag debuted in 1959.
Yes the USA president.. does matter ..
The illegal immigration is a disgustin busyness

Old Today, 08:39 AM

7,437 posts, read 4,205,899 times
Quote:
They say a 49-star flag debuted in 1959.
Yes, in 1959, Alaska had been an US owned territory for 90 years.

The contiguous United States (officially the conterminous United States) consists of the 48 adjoining U.S. states and the District of Columbia of the United States of America.

There are states/territories not contiguous to the US.

Hawaii (consisting of nearly all the Hawaiian Islands) became the 50th state of the United States on August 21, 1959. It is the southernmost and so far, the latest state to join the Union.

Puerto Rico is an unincorporated territory of the United States located in the northeast Caribbean Sea, approximately 1,000 miles (1,609 km) southeast of Miami, Florida. Puerto Ricans born in Puerto Rico are U.S. citizens and are free to move to the mainland United States.

The U.S. Virgin Islands is a U.S. territory located directly to the east of Puerto Rico in the Caribbean Sea.

American Samoa is a U.S. territory located in the South Pacific Ocean in Polynesia, south of the equator — it is 2,200 miles (3,500 km) southwest of Hawaii.

One weird fact:

Washington, District of Columbia (location of the White House) is NOT a state, but federal territory. Residents cannot vote in presidential or federal elections. There are people who want Washington DC to be the 51 state. In addition, some people want NYC to breakaway from New York State and become the 51 state.

In order to become a territory or state, the ruling country has to be close enough to defend the land. Sicily is too far for the US to defend in time of war. It's also too far for police or taxation regulations. It doesn't have a common language or culture.

Old Today, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YorktownGal View Post
There are states/territories not contiguous
In order to become a territory or state, the ruling country has to be close enough to defend the land. Sicily is too far for the US to defend in time of war. It's also too far for police or taxation regulations. It doesn't have a common language or culture.

Ok but consider this nowaday we are the most important military strategic outpost in the Mediterranean for the Anglo-American structure.. and allies
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe