Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-16-2022, 08:07 AM

16,225 posts, read 27,460,993 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metamorphosis69 View Post
Estonian mushroom vendor without license goes bezerk and attacks police at the market square in Helsinki:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-E-XmcA5hg
Dang - all that because the guy was selling racks of mushrooms from Estonia? Imagine if the Finnish police were around here in Southern California, where street vendors routinely walk up and down residential streets selling tamales out of a stolen Home Depot shopping cart, cooked three days ago in a repurposed bathtub in abuelito's backyard.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2022, 09:33 AM

1,149 posts, read 1,017,891 times

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QMcpoD53tMs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5dcbJFsanw

Old 11-16-2022, 09:44 AM

2,229 posts, read 778,151 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Sunny Southern California native here - thanks for the info! Not at all prepared for that, but I've no intention of moving back to anywhere in Europe for a long while. Lived there for eight years after graduating from high school, had enough of the four seasons. When it dips below 70 here, I put on a sweater and feel nice and cozy.

Don't know how you all do it. Are the booze cruises to Sweden still operating?
Yep! And to Tallinn too.

Old 11-16-2022, 01:20 PM

5,214 posts, read 4,032,159 times
Fun fact: if Putin starts WW3 we well never see the horror of England or France winning the worldcup.

Old 11-16-2022, 03:22 PM

908 posts, read 443,790 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by View Post
Presov, Poprad, Roznava, Malacky, Bardejov, Orazsky Podzamok, Lucenec appear as other worthy national choices.

Slovakia used be part of Czech Republic for quite a while. Up to 1993.

Budapest Hungary is within fast proximity from most of Slovakia. Just like Vienna Austria. With car/bus.

Europe wins on these fast, convenient, affordable land border crossings. With a bus ride. Even Asia, Middle East are more isolated. Relatively rare in those other Continents.

Yes all of those places are well worth visiting and Slovakia as such is an extremely beautiful country in my humble view .

Come to think of it , while I do believe that I wrote of finding Romania to be the most beautiful European country in another thread , I'm seriously having second thoughts since it's really only Transylvania that I find to be breathtakingly beautiful as opposed to ( f.ex ) Northern Dobruja .

Of course this is all subjective rambling on my part , so there's that as well .

Old 11-16-2022, 05:24 PM

Quote:
For Online Posters that went to Hungary(Magyarorszag), is the country Decentralized enough outside of Budapest? Especially for tourism?

By decentralized do you mean that are rail lines set up in such a way that you can avoid going through the capital when traveling from one end of the country to the other ?

Old 11-16-2022, 05:38 PM

2,229 posts, read 778,151 times
The Christmas tradition is still quite strong in Finland. There's already a lot of decorations at peoples windows and balconies, in December it escalates with Christmas trees at plazas, shopping centres and parks. I don't mind, it gives a little light to the bleak landscape, as a matter of fact I'm hoping for snow.

Old 11-16-2022, 06:53 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,460,993 times
Quote:
For Online Posters that went to Hungary(Magyarorszag), is the country Decentralized enough outside of Budapest? Especially for tourism?
Yes. There are lots of great places to visit outside of Budapest. Hungary is probably still a very capitol-centric country (I'm just guessing since my last visit was in 2010 if I remember correctly), in terms of how legislation and infrastructure always favors the denizens of BP.

I love to explore Baranya county in the southern part, it has a lot to offer - historic places like Pécs, Szigetvár, Mohács, Siklós, and some of the best spa and natural springs places like Harkány. Györ and Sopron to the north are nice to visit as well, they are both border towns. Closer to BP, you can check out Visegrád, great vistas by the bend in the Danube. Lots of people love Balaton, but I find it grossly overrated and overpriced too. I'd also work in Debrecen and Eger if at all possible. There's also a very cool transportation museum in a scenic little resort town called Parádfürdö. Let me know if you need more recommendations.

Old 11-16-2022, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Hungary's own official language isn't even close to Latinized Romanian(Almost Spanish lol), or Soviet Slavic Ukrainian. Maybe even very separate from Czechoslovakian Polish, or Croatian, Serbian Yugoslavian. Quite native unique isolation. Even if landlocked.
Hungarian is officially part of the Finno-Ugric language family , though I must warn you that saying that to certain Hungarians may result in them launching into a passionate tirade about how that is a lie cooked up by Habsburg court historians in order to falsify Hungarian history .

Setting all issues of linguistic controversy aside though , Hungarian is indeed a rather difficult language to learn for a native monolingual English speaker IMO , in fact I ended up being the only person who didn't drop out of the Hungarian language course the company I was working for arranged for all of its Budapest based employees back in 2005-2008 .

That said it's well worth learning Hungarian if you like to read/have the patience for it , since it will grant you the ability to read a bunch of criminally underrated literary works IMHO .

Old 11-17-2022, 05:06 AM

5,214 posts, read 4,032,159 times
^ Personally I'm indifferent towards Hungarian - it doesn't sound as amazing to me as say Italian, Japanese but compared to Russian for example at least I'm not thinking about suicide each time I hear it. A decade ago me and a friend visited Budapest for a Rammstein concert and 80% of the people seemed to speak English, these days I bet it's even more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > World Forums > Europe