Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area
 [Register]
Eugene area Eugene - Springfield metro area
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-12-2016, 04:08 PM

13 posts, read 23,557 times

Advertisements

What happened to Harry & Annette's Fish Market in Corvallis (151 NW Monroe)?? It was open a few months ago but apparently now it's closed????? I called Aqua (same address) and their recording simply says they've closed. What in the world happened?? I heard Harry's was really fresh fish and it doesn't appear that Corvallis now has a fish market (other than going to a grocery store).

I was planning on retiring to Corvallis from Portland this year after painstakingly researching a LOT of different cities and states. We have a family friend already living in Corvallis for decades now and we fell in love with Corvallis when we visited.

Two of the things really important to me are a really good Asian market (like Uwajimaya in Beaverton which has live crab, lobster, clam, mussel and abalone, etc., tanks.) and a place to get live crab & lobsters. Corvallis' Asian Markets are only OK (in my opinion) but good enough that it wasn't going to deter me from moving there since I can still get pretty much all the Asian ingredients I need, and I could have always gone to Harry & Annette's for my fresh fish.

Now with Harry's closed, and I'm not finding any info on a fish market in Corvallis, and Aqua is also closed, it's making me wonder what's going on in Corvallis in regards to restaurants, fish markets, etc. Or.... is that building closing down and businesses either closing with them or moving to a new site?

I guess I have 2 questions...

What's going on in Corvallis? I read where the downtown has really gone through a nice transformation over recent years, with nice restaurants coming in and such, and drawing quite a few people to the area. Has that trend reversed and downtown businesses closing up and moving out?

Lastly, is there another place to buy fresh fish that has live crab tanks? Or do you know if Harry's is relocating their business? I found it odd that Aqua is recently closed too and they are at the same address.

Can anyone please shed some light on this? I haven't found a phone number for Harry's or Aqua that someone will answer. I've tried like 4 different numbers.

Thank you VERY MUCH for any insight you can contribute.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-12-2016, 04:40 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,686,990 times
Well, it's impossible to offer fresh fish out of season. They probably couldn't make it on such a short season. Also, Corvallis is close enough to the coast that many locals simply go get their own seafood.

I have a salmon cannery in Alaska. Every now and then, someone asks me why there aren't any local retailers specializing in fresh seafood. That's because there's no market for fresh seafood because all the locals fish and set crab pots. I imagine the same dynamic, except to a much lesser extent, is at play in Corvallis. There's just not enough local business to make it work.

Try going out to Winchester Bay for your fresh seafood fix (but again, their retailers are only open seasonally). Beyond that, quality seafood that is flash frozen is every bit as good as fresh catch, maybe even better. Flash freezing preserves the fish at the exact level of freshness at the time it's frozen. I've seen some so-called fresh fish off the boats that really isn't so fresh because it's been in the hold for days. To get the really good stuff, look for a product that's frozen right on the boat itself.

I know that Fitts Seafood in Salem used to have a live tank, but I'm not even sure if the place is still there or what they have anymore.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 01-12-2016 at 04:49 PM..

Old 01-13-2016, 04:42 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
I spent 15 years of my life working in the fishing industry in Alaska. I'll take fish flash frozen at sea ANY DAY over so-called fresh fish that has been sitting on slushy ice in a fish hold for 3 days before reaching port any another day sitting around in transit before reaching the fresh fish market.

As for crab. If you are retired, just go get it yourself. Although the local groceries usually have good Dungeness when in season.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:20 PM

6,066 posts, read 15,042,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdiver View Post
As for crab. If you are retired, just go get it yourself. Although the local groceries usually have good Dungeness when in season.
What's the latest regarding the Dungeness crab this year? I read back in Nov/Dec that the season had been delayed due to domoic acid, but I've not hear/read any recent updates. Where is a good source for updates on that? We were warned not to eat any if we caught it recently.

Agreed with flash-frozen over fresh, unless you just caught it yourself! Otherwise you have no idea...

Old 01-13-2016, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by haggardhouseelf View Post
What's the latest regarding the Dungeness crab this year? I read back in Nov/Dec that the season had been delayed due to domoic acid, but I've not hear/read any recent updates. Where is a good source for updates on that? We were warned not to eat any if we caught it recently.

Agreed with flash-frozen over fresh, unless you just caught it yourself! Otherwise you have no idea...

The season officially opened on 1/4/16 for Dungeness crab. I got mine a few days later!

Dungeness crab season finally arrives

texasdiver - I appreciate your advice on buying fresh flash frozen over "fresh" in stores. I had no idea.

And while I might decide to drive to the coast once or twice for live crab.... a 4+ hour round trip to Winchester Bay isn't something I'm going to want to do often when I just simply want a live crab for dinner. LOL I've never much cared for the boiled crab in the grocery stores. Something just tastes off to me and prefer to boil my own.

Still would love to know what happened to Harry & Annette's and Aqua and why they're closing and whether or not it's a trend in Corvallis for businesses to close up and move out. I might reconsider where I'm moving to if it's going to lose a lot of its charm. I'm doubting that's the case but it would help to know why those businesses are closing.

Thanks all.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:23 PM

5,439 posts, read 7,726,033 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CorvallisBound View Post
The season officially opened on 1/4/16 for Dungeness crab. I got mine a few days later!

Dungeness crab season finally arrives

texasdiver - I appreciate your advice on buying fresh flash frozen over "fresh" in stores. I had no idea.

And while I might decide to drive to the coast once or twice for live crab.... a 4+ hour round trip to Winchester Bay isn't something I'm going to want to do often when I just simply want a live crab for dinner. LOL I've never much cared for the boiled crab in the grocery stores. Something just tastes off to me and prefer to boil my own.

Still would love to know what happened to Harry & Annette's and Aqua and why they're closing and whether or not it's a trend in Corvallis for businesses to close up and move out. I might reconsider where I'm moving to if it's going to lose a lot of its charm. I'm doubting that's the case but it would help to know why those businesses are closing.

Thanks all.
Why are you guys driving all the way from Corvallis to Winchester Bay? Can't you just pop over to Newport and find fresh crab?

Old 01-13-2016, 07:36 PM

There's an article in the Gazette that says they lost their lease and all of their equipment at 151 NW Monroe at the end of 2010 due to financial difficulties. Idk, I don't think anyone here lives in Corvallis. You might look around the online version of their newspaper for more info.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:
Why are you guys driving all the way from Corvallis to Winchester Bay? Can't you just pop over to Newport and find fresh crab?
That was my suggestion. I agree about Newport, but I'm just partial to Win. Bay. When I go, though, it's more of a weekend or three-day trip than a quick popover. My point was that Corvallis is so close to the ocean that seafood markets might not fare so well there. Apparently, the one in question had a lot of financial troubles.

Old 01-13-2016, 07:38 PM

Quote:

I've never been to either place. I haven't moved to Corvallis yet. Looks like Newport is closer but still a 2+ hr trek for dinner. I'll do it once or twice but really wish Corvallis would come up with another seafood market with live tanks.

Old 01-13-2016, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metlakatla View Post
That was my suggestion. I agree about Newport, but I'm just partial to Win. Bay. When I go, though, it's more of a weekend or three-day trip than a quick popover. My point was that Corvallis is so close to the ocean that seafood markets might not fare so well there. Apparently, the one in question had a lot of financial troubles.
Well, I can't wait to check out Newport once I move to Corvallis. Just waiting on the right home to hit the market. Not much offered for sale now in my price and footage. I'm patient.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Oregon > Eugene area