Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old Yesterday, 07:06 AM

600 posts, read 1,027,633 times

Advertisements

It appears pretty obvious that there will likely be no debates this election season and neither candidate will be doing a lot of campaigning. Trump will spend most of the year in court (and possibly prison) and Biden will probably use the same strategy of 2020 and stay in the basement since the media will campaign for him. Makes you wonder what the media is going to do for the next 6 months with nothing to cover.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old Yesterday, 07:52 AM

3,865 posts, read 5,289,162 times
Good. No one cares what either of these losers has to say about anything.

Old Yesterday, 09:03 AM

11,090 posts, read 7,149,943 times
We all already know what the major candidates are about. There would be nothing useful to add. It would just be political nonsense seeing the two together on stage. We already have enough away from the stage.

Better to save money and time, and forego the circus show. It's not like anything useful gets discussed anyway. It's been many years since we've had a useful, meaningful, true debate.

Last edited by Thoreau424; Yesterday at 09:16 AM..

Old Yesterday, 09:11 AM

448 posts, read 250,818 times
IIRC the last POTUS cycle without debates was 1972. By the time of the Ford/Carter debates in '76, I was in 10th grade. Amazing how generations grow up taking debates for granted.

Old Yesterday, 10:18 AM

Location: East of Seattle since 1992, 615' Elevation, Zone 8b - originally from SF Bay Area
44,570 posts, read 81,147,605 times
There will be campaigning, I have already suffered through two Biden TV campaign ads and it's only April.

Old Yesterday, 10:58 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,357,274 times
Biden is campaigning a lot now, taking advantage of Trump's forced presence in court.

I wouldn't bet on watching a debate this time though.

Old Yesterday, 11:05 AM

2,654 posts, read 1,180,067 times
Didn't they have their sort of debate on TV when asked questions and they answered so people can know what their intentions are as President.

If Trump did win who would the Republicans have to replace him if he is in prison/jail or house arrest? which should not be done just to appease voters. That can swing both ways if next elections goes to GOP.

I find it hard to believe he would be able to do more interviews or debate let alone hold this position if incarcerated.

Old Yesterday, 11:20 AM

4,625 posts, read 4,892,936 times
No, it won't be the first campaign without debates or campaigning.

As already stated, 1972 there were no debates.

As already stated, both candidates have been out campaigning for months.

Old Yesterday, 11:30 AM

25,962 posts, read 22,107,325 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by staystill View Post
Didn't they have their sort of debate on TV when asked questions and they answered so people can know what their intentions are as President.

If Trump did win who would the Republicans have to replace him if he is in prison/jail or house arrest? which should not be done just to appease voters. That can swing both ways if next elections goes to GOP.

I find it hard to believe he would be able to do more interviews or debate let alone hold this position if incarcerated.
Since we have experienced what both actually do when in office, I am not sure we really need to know more. I would worry more about Biden and the Grim Reaper, than the persecution of Trump by the left. Biden passes to Kamala, and there is decent field of GOP (DeSantis possibly) should Trump be unable to run, and hopefully he won't end up on the Clinton death list, as they have done just about everything imaginable other than that to keep him from running.

Heck, Trump is campaigning from the court house steps, and Basement Biden, who cares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
No, it won't be the first campaign without debates or campaigning.

As already stated, 1972 there were no debates.

As already stated, both candidates have been out campaigning for months.
Yes, both "interviewing" for the job, one with past experience expanding on what he wishes to do if (when) he wins in November, and the other one, well, he is showing us his "stuff" every day, so no need to actually say what he would do, as sadly, we already know and are faced with it each and every day.

Old Yesterday, 12:04 PM

596 posts, read 894,542 times
People who are on this forum are highly engaged in political news. For us, there is nothing new to be learned about the two candidates whether there is or isn't a debate and whether they campaign or not.

But the vast majority of voters who are in the middle, who are going to determine the outcome of this election, have not been paying attention to politics. They are now just starting to tune into the news about the election.

It's hard to believe it, right? That's because we are so engaged in it. But for most people, politics is just not their thing--in the same way, football is not my thing. If someone asks me who is going to win the World Series, I bet I would sound completely ignorant.

So I do believe campaigning, debate, fund raising, number of field office and staff, and ground game will make a difference in the outcome.

From now to November, one side is going to relentlessly pound the swing states airwave with ads. The other side, probably not so much because of their lack of funds.

Remember, they are not meant for you and me. They are trying to convince people who have not been paying attention--hence, persuadable people.

I believe it will make a difference in a close race.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections