Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-14-2024, 11:14 AM

3,525 posts, read 6,521,504 times

Advertisements

At the Republican convention this year, will Ramaswamy, DeSantis and Nikki Haley be allowed to make a speech? (if one of them is the running mate well of course they would.)

At the Demo convention, will Marianne Williamson and/or Dean Phillips make a speech?

Who ultimately decides who can make a speech or not? The head of each party? A group of bigwigs?

Remember the Demo convention in 1988? The nom was Mike Dukakis but Jesse Jackson came in second and he made a speech that might have gotten higher TV ratings than Dukakis's.

Will George W Bush visit the Republican convention? He don't love Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-14-2024, 12:45 PM

13,438 posts, read 4,282,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpasa View Post
At the Republican convention this year, will Ramaswamy, DeSantis and Nikki Haley be allowed to make a speech? (if one of them is the running mate well of course they would.)

Why not? If they come to support Trump and unite the party for the general then they should come and speak unlike the 2020 Democrat Convention when Tulsi Gabbard was not invited and she won delegates and she had every right to be there.

Quote:
At the Demo convention, will Marianne Williamson and/or Dean Phillips make a speech?

NO. Joe is behind in the polls and the DNC will run that convention tight and only put Democrats 100% loyal to Joe.

Quote:
Who ultimately decides who can make a speech or not? The head of each party? A group of bigwigs?
DNC has some say but ultimately is the Biden's campaign. It's his coronation.

Quote:
Remember the Demo convention in 1988? The nom was Mike Dukakis but Jesse Jackson came in second and he made a speech that might have gotten higher TV ratings than Dukakis's.

I was a junior in H.S. in 1988 but I remember the big fuss over Jesse in the party. I was in Puerto Rico and Jesse Jackson came with his wife to the Democrat primary being held in the island and he was in a big limo and passed me by. That limo was fast, zig zagging. I guess they didn't want him to get shot. Both reminded me of the Jeffersons for some reason. Finally they got a piece of the pie.

Dukakis was a boring speaker. He was as bad as Al Gore. So it wasn't that hard for Jesse, the preacher, to outdo him: "Keep hope alive, Keep hope alive" I was, You knoooow, say it brother!. He had me for a minute then I came back to reality and realize he was a fake preacher like Al Sharpton and the Democrat party was heading for a bad defeat. Al Sharpton in 1988 was a character. Good memories as in comical.

Quote:

No and he shouldn't be. He didn't go to the GOP 2016 convention after his brother Jeb was slaughtered by Trump in 2016 and Trump basically accused W Bush and Dick Cheney of lying to go to war and war criminals and W should have been impeached. It was at the primary debate in S.C. in 2016. He is not coming and I wouldn't want him there either. Republicans that wants to be there should go. Both Bushes are neo cons and they will never support Trump.

Last edited by SanJuanStar; 03-14-2024 at 12:59 PM..

Old 03-14-2024, 03:12 PM

4,581 posts, read 3,406,102 times
Hologram C, SN and Y are going to perform, wonder if they will sing the song Chicago.

Old 03-15-2024, 08:34 AM

21,097 posts, read 19,694,480 times
Ramaswamy will for sure be allowed to speak. His is one of the biggest supporters of Trump. Nikki should refuse to speak as if she tries to, she will be booed off the stage. Not sure about DeSantis. If he comes out in full support of Trump beforehand, I think he will be received lukewarmly.

Old 03-15-2024, 09:20 AM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Quote:
t the Demo convention, will Marianne Williamson and/or Dean Phillips make a speech?
No. The Dems will beg the Obamas (including the daughters) to speak and speak for as long as they ant. Wild card: Rashida Tlaib. The Dems desperately need the Muslim vote. Although Tiaib will have to agree to a prepared speech. Won't be surprised if AOC is also seen on stage making a pitch for the youth vote.

Quote:
Probably a group of bigwigs but regarding the RNC and 2024 - if Trump doesn’t want them... they aren't getting up on stage.

Quote:
Remember the Demo convention in 1988? The nom was Mike Dukakis, but Jesse Jackson came in second and he made a speech that might have gotten higher TV ratings than Dukakis's.
Dukakis was a horrible candidate. Side note: I was flying economy class one day and I saw Dukakis seated near me. He was with several other people and when they reached their aisle Dukakis said, "This is the Democrats row." Two things stood out. 1. He's a little man and 2. Isn't he rich? Why is he sitting with the paupers?

Quote:
Bush will be lucky to be allowed inside the building. Same applies to Romney.

Last edited by john3232; 03-15-2024 at 10:02 AM..

Old 03-15-2024, 10:56 AM

8,493 posts, read 4,552,009 times
These conventions have become obsolete. The major networks do not even broadcast much coverage of them anymore as few important unknown things come out of them. The nominee these days is a given well before the convention and their vp picks (which are guaranteed to be nominated) are also announced in advance. The conventions are now just staged coronation productions of the party nominee. The are basically a week long party (eat & drink) networking (meeting others) event mostly paid for by lobbyists and special interests.

Old 03-31-2024, 01:05 PM

3,525 posts, read 6,521,504 times
I wonder if Chris Christie will give a speech. He withdrew before the Iowa caucus.

I believe Trump hates him. He also performed poorly in the debates, told a silly joke about Donald Duck.

Some of the speeches are only 5-10 minutes; they might as well let more people speak as everybody has their favorite.

Old 03-31-2024, 02:53 PM

19,798 posts, read 9,336,681 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
No. The Dems will beg the Obamas (including the daughters) to speak and speak for as long as they ant. Wild card: Rashida Tlaib. The Dems desperately need the Muslim vote. Although Tiaib will have to agree to a prepared speech. Won't be surprised if AOC is also seen on stage making a pitch for the youth vote.

Probably a group of bigwigs but regarding the RNC and 2024 - if Trump doesn’t want them... they aren't getting up on stage.

Dukakis was a horrible candidate. Side note: I was flying economy class one day and I saw Dukakis seated near me. He was with several other people and when they reached their aisle Dukakis said, "This is the Democrats row." Two things stood out. 1. He's a little man and 2. Isn't he rich? Why is he sitting with the paupers?

Bush will be lucky to be allowed inside the building. Same applies to Romney.
I don't know how many people pay attention to convention speeches except for possibly the speeches of the presidential nominees -- but if Tlaib is allowed to speak and she says anything offensive to MOST Americans, I wonder how many lost votes that would mean?

Having any of the Squad appear as some kind of spokesperson for the Democrat nominee is NOT, imo, the way to get the Undecided, Unaffiliated and centrist votes!

Anyway, as I have said before, even if Biden and the DNC do nothing to court Muslim voters, what will the Muslim and the Progressive extremists do? "Waste" their votes on Cornel West or vote for Trump? Although I think the first is a possibility, I don't think the second one is (or at least not for the great majority of them).

Old 04-01-2024, 03:50 AM

6,593 posts, read 7,083,282 times
Quote:

Bush probably won’t attend the convention
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections