Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2010, 11:46 AM

1 posts, read 3,365 times

Advertisements

i have not yet found any resources that indicate "the disgusting one" is translated from "el chuco"... i have however found that chuco is abbreviated slang for pachuco...

rotela "New Hall Monitor"

Old 07-22-2010, 01:32 PM

1,899 posts, read 3,508,887 times
Back in the day the term "El Chuco" was one of respect and honor.

Old 05-14-2011, 12:28 AM

1 posts, read 3,093 times
Technically speakin "el chuco" if translated properly would literally translate to "the pachuco". El can mean both him and the and chuco is short for pachuco. Hence why when lookin for the zoot suits durin the war u had to speak with "el chuco" the pachuco because only they knew where to get then in el paso.

Old 05-15-2011, 01:11 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,903 times
El Chuco..is what me and other paisanos..call our tierra..hence my nickname..on this website..i will forever be proud of being a homegrown...cuidadana..ha ha!!

Old 05-16-2011, 09:21 AM

93 posts, read 269,781 times
Is the swing/jazz song "Hey Pachuco" (which appears in the Mask) related in any way to the term?

Old 06-18-2012, 01:24 AM

1 posts, read 2,797 times
Default Definition of "Chuco"...explanation.

So I was born in Juarez and raised in El Paso and in order to decipher the word "El Chuco" you need to understand that the word is part of the dialect "calo". First of all, "Calo" is a dialect that was created by early borderland youth (borderland includes Juarez AND El Paso) to talk among themselves... almost like 'ebonics'. This dialect takes words from Spanish, English and a bunch of native languages associated with the area (Uto-Aztec languages like nahuatl, raramuri (tarahumada), yaqui, mayo, etc.). It took a lot of time, thought, and fun to create this dialect. For example, the word "gringo" is widely use for American people, but did you know it's the raramuri word for "foreigner"? Another example, "escuincle". The Pachucos used this word for little kids yet they took it from the nahuatl word "itzcuintli" which literally means dog. Do you see the "fun" factor of this creation?

So we look at the word "El Chuco", and understanding that Calo goes beyond English-Spanish mentality, we have to find a connection with native languages. So here's the closest connections I found:

In the tarahumada language (Chihuahua state) I found the word "choko", which means to be or become sour...

In yaqui (Sonora state) I found the word "matchuko", which means "during the daytime"...

But then there are the Tiwa dialects (Tigua) of the native people of the region. These indigenous folks came from the regions of Taos, New Mexico in the 1800's and settled in the areas surrounding El Paso. With time these folks began associating with the mexicans and americans in El Paso and some of the vocabulary was exchanged. The Tiwa called this area "xu-ko'a". Due to the extinction of many of these native dialects it is hard to translate exactly what "xu-ko'a" means but we know that "xu" (pronounced 'chu') means to 'care for' and "-ko'a" means 'smoke'.

My personal conclusion: The Tiwa called the area of El Paso "xu-ko'a" and with time locals heard these individuals call this region "chucoa" and when Calo appeared in the scene, pachucos/tirilones began calling El Paso "el chuco" as a "cool" way of calling their hometown.

Con safos.

M. Ed. Luis Maldonado

Sources: Life and "An Introductory paper on the Tiwa language" by John Harrington.

Old 06-18-2012, 08:46 AM

643 posts, read 1,313,344 times
Chicanitoman, that was very informative. Thanks for sharing, oraleeee!

Old 06-19-2012, 05:56 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
I came to EP thirty years ago and one of the first things I remember hearing is some of my coworkers referring to it as "Chucoville" and I've always kinda like the sound of it.

Old 06-19-2012, 08:37 PM

524 posts, read 1,369,903 times
Default And since my...

family..has been here for generations..I have adopted it as part of my name..but I had my great grandmother..tell..me this..proud to be a native ..EL Pasoan..

Old 06-21-2012, 05:03 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,535,277 times
Default Interesting thread...

I'd always heard the "Pachuco/Zoot Suit" connection to the El Chuco nickname. It's been fun reading about all the others.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > El Paso