Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-09-2024, 08:39 AM

639 posts, read 405,479 times

Advertisements

If I were your age I would not consider a puppy. Cute as they are, they're too much work and have to be trained from scratch. The rescue should have some idea of whether or not the Standard is good around kids.

From my own experience with (miniature) poodles, they are gentle dogs and very smart, plus they were all housetrained before I got them. (I got 2 of them at age 7 and they lived to 12 to 15 years). I just have one left now and she's 10 years old. There is one Standard Poodle in my neighbourhood that I meet on walks and she's very calm and well behaved.

If you want a Standard, then get one and make sure the kids modify their behaviour around the dog first and foremost, rather than worrying about the dog's behaviour around the kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2024, 09:00 AM

32,701 posts, read 48,250,531 times
Poodles tend to be dainty about their movements and move lightly and don't crash into things, so less likely to trample the kids underfoot. If you have had German Shepherds, you already know how to deal with high energy and with dogs who are too smart for their own good..

My suggestion is this, test for courage and sociability in this way. Observe how the dog reacts to you the very first time he sees you. If he is full of enthusiasm to meet a new person and get a cuddle from a stranger, then that might be your dog. Any dog that is cautious about you or shows any sign of being timid, would probably be OK if he were just for you, but is a risk to be around small rowdy children. In rescue, the dog probably has bad manners. It is OK if he wants to climb and jump on you, because poodles are easy to train and he will quickly learn how to behave better. Timid dogs and shy dogs might possibly be fear biters and young children can do scary things to a dog. You need a dog who adores people.

You've had dogs before so I am sure you are aware of the intense amount of grooming a poodle requires. Standard poodle would be my dream dog, except I know I don't want to take care of the coat.

And of course, you already know that the children will have to be trained in how to handle the dog and to respect the dog.

Old 05-09-2024, 09:04 AM

32,701 posts, read 48,250,531 times
Coming back to ask what area you are in where there are standard poodles for rehoming. That's not a breed that I ever see in the shelter or offered online looking for a new home.

I see lots of doodles and small poodle crosses that need homes, but never any purebred standard poodles.

Old 05-09-2024, 09:20 AM

35,262 posts, read 17,174,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miquel_westano View Post
I have small grandchildren and am wanting to get a Standard Poodle. I recently lost a German Shepard that was 14 years old. Great dog, and loved kids. But, I got him as a pup and was kind of wanting to avoid the pup stage and the housebreaking.

Am I better off with a pup that grows up with kids or will an adult Standard Poodle be better for the lack of puppy energy around the kids? Or, should I just not get a dog until the are older?

The Standard Poodle seems like a great dog and there are usually quite a few for rehoming in this area.
I would introduce the kid(s) to the poodle first, before adopting to see what happens. Our Royal Standard was great with kids but they are large and they are animals.

Old 05-09-2024, 10:54 AM
KCZ

4,689 posts, read 3,696,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oregonwoodsmoke View Post
Coming back to ask what area you are in where there are standard poodles for rehoming. That's not a breed that I ever see in the shelter or offered online looking for a new home.

I see lots of doodles and small poodle crosses that need homes, but never any purebred standard poodles.

Exactly. I'd go to the rescue to find the dog with the best temperament for the family and not be too rigid about it being a standard poodle. There are plenty of other breeds who get along great with children if all parties are socialized properly.

Old 05-09-2024, 01:37 PM

1,151 posts, read 455,378 times
Quote:

Southern Missouri. There are a couple of Poodle rescues, plus several individual listings right now that have standards. They are all with fees of course, but reasonable for the breed. Many are not spayed or neutered and some have really matted coats. Makes me think many of the private listings may not have been familiar with the breed, and not understood the hyperactivity of an intact male pup as it grows up.

I am familiar with large high prey drive dogs, but also know that breed is a factor not to be overlooked. I want a loyal dog that will love my grand kids, but not one with the high level of guarding instinct my GSD had.

My last dog was very suspicious of strangers and even in my mid 50's when he was young I had to be alert to him any time we were near strangers. I put him through obedience classes, a designated dog training course to socialize him, and I took him to every pet store, shopping store and public event that allowed dogs, but he never learned to like any non family members. I have no doubt he would have defended my grandson with his life, but he was very willful and independent to the point I often worried he would make the decision to confront a stranger before the stranger even acted. He never bit anyone in 14 years, but he did lunge at someone who in his mind got too close to me. I don't want another dog with that risk level. I am trying to put a pic of my GSD and grandson on but have not figured it out yet.

https://imgur.com/a/TuX0rlT

Old 05-09-2024, 02:22 PM

17,375 posts, read 11,346,119 times
Here's somewhere you can start a search for a standard poodle rescue. Any organization that adopts out any dog without first having the dog spayed or neutered and vetted is a big red flag and one to avoid. Also, if you are looking at places that adopt out dogs with matted coats, you are definitely not looking at a legitimate rescue. Run away, don't just walk away. A legitimate rescue puts their dogs and the welfare of their dogs first. You are looking in the wrong places for a dog.
Poodle Rescue

Last edited by marino760; 05-09-2024 at 03:06 PM..

Old 05-09-2024, 03:40 PM

26,033 posts, read 22,225,100 times
I am in KS, one of those puppy mill "havens", and OP is in SW MO, another puppy mill "haven", which may be should be a concern. I am very concerned about getting a dog, and getting one out of one of the puppy mills that due to health or behavioral issues has been dumped by the person that purchased it.

If it were me, and I was getting an adult dog (which I did with a senior Labrador), I would wait until the youngest is at least 5, where they can have the understanding of instructions regarding the dog, and will be less likely to get knocked over while playing.

A puppy will be tough, as I am 69, and even the high energy of the puppy about 18 years ago was a real workout!

Take it slow. Maybe consider fostering to adopt, and make sure that you can return the dog if it is not working out after a specific amount of time.

Old 05-09-2024, 03:50 PM

17,375 posts, read 11,346,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I am in KS, one of those puppy mill "havens", and OP is in SW MO, another puppy mill "haven", which may be should be a concern. I am very concerned about getting a dog, and getting one out of one of the puppy mills that due to health or behavioral issues has been dumped by the person that purchased it.

If it were me, and I was getting an adult dog (which I did with a senior Labrador), I would wait until the youngest is at least 5, where they can have the understanding of instructions regarding the dog, and will be less likely to get knocked over while playing.

A puppy will be tough, as I am 69, and even the high energy of the puppy about 18 years ago was a real workout!

Take it slow. Maybe consider fostering to adopt, and make sure that you can return the dog if it is not working out after a specific amount of time.
That's exactly what I was thinking. Those "rescue dogs" he was talking about sound like dogs from puppy mills that are no longer wanted for breeding purposes. There's nothing wrong with adopting one of those dogs and giving it a new and better life, but you need to know what you are getting. Some of these places make believe they are rescues when in reality, they are selling dogs they no longer want. Matted hair, not spayed and neutered are exactly what these places sell with the pretense of being a rescue. It's tragic.

Old 05-10-2024, 09:24 AM

11,794 posts, read 6,162,527 times
Quote:
Poodles tend to be dainty about their movements and move lightly and don't crash into things, so less likely to trample the kids underfoot. If you have had German Shepherds, you already know how to deal with high energy and with dogs who are too smart for their own good..

My suggestion is this, test for courage and sociability in this way. Observe how the dog reacts to you the very first time he sees you. If he is full of enthusiasm to meet a new person and get a cuddle from a stranger, then that might be your dog. Any dog that is cautious about you or shows any sign of being timid, would probably be OK if he were just for you, but is a risk to be around small rowdy children. In rescue, the dog probably has bad manners. It is OK if he wants to climb and jump on you, because poodles are easy to train and he will quickly learn how to behave better. Timid dogs and shy dogs might possibly be fear biters and young children can do scary things to a dog. You need a dog who adores people.

You've had dogs before so I am sure you are aware of the intense amount of grooming a poodle requires. Standard poodle would be my dream dog, except I know I don't want to take care of the coat.

And of course, you already know that the children will have to be trained in how to handle the dog and to respect the dog.
I had no clue that Poodles need much grooming.

I thought half the behind everyone getting doodles like Labradoodles, was because they don't shed and dont' require much grooming.

Who knew Poodles need grooming?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs