Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-10-2023, 05:36 AM

4,830 posts, read 3,259,357 times

Advertisements

Don't want to start an all-on dog food thread... but specifically ask if anyone else has had tear/tear stain issues while feeding Royal Canin puppy that went away when you transitioned to adult kibble (be it RC or something else)?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2023, 06:15 AM

3,233 posts, read 3,186,050 times
No.

Might want to take your pup to a vet that specializes in ophthalmology.

Old 11-10-2023, 10:07 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times
I think it might be related to food. My adult cavalier had issues not only with RC but also with Purina Pro Plan. He had a UTI and was put on Science Diet Multicare C/D kibble and his tearing/staining has cleared up quite a bit. My puppy still has some tearing, but she had that when I got her. She is now on adult kibble, so I will see what happens as she transitions to that.

Old 11-10-2023, 10:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
I think it might be related to food. My adult cavalier had issues not only with RC but also with Purina Pro Plan. He had a UTI and was put on Science Diet Multicare C/D kibble and his tearing/staining has cleared up quite a bit. My puppy still has some tearing, but she had that when I got her. She is now on adult kibble, so I will see what happens as she transitions to that.

I was hoping you'd respond since we both have Cavaliers.

Puppy and oldest come from the same breeder, and she used RC. Middle guy came from a different breeder, but wife was 'sold' on the RC... so that's what he got, too. All have had what I'd call bad tearing issues through puppy hood.

Certainly don't know if the RC is/was to blame, but the oldest (3) has no issues, and the middle (2) is much, much better now.

Wife is hung up on staying with the RC puppy for a year, but I think 9 months is old enough to switch.

Old 11-10-2023, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seguinite View Post
I was hoping you'd respond since we both have Cavaliers.

Puppy and oldest come from the same breeder, and she used RC. Middle guy came from a different breeder, but wife was 'sold' on the RC... so that's what he got, too. All have had what I'd call bad tearing issues through puppy hood.

Certainly don't know if the RC is/was to blame, but the oldest (3) has no issues, and the middle (2) is much, much better now.

Wife is hung up on staying with the RC puppy for a year, but I think 9 months is old enough to switch.
We started to wean her off the puppy formula at the 10 month time frame. We blended the puppy formula with the adult formula about 3:1. Since that time, we've increased her adult ratio to 1:1. We check her stools, and use the Bristol Stool Chart for comparison. (She usually creates a "Type 3" stool. Occasionally, it's a "Type 4.") These are on the Bristol Scale.

Old 11-11-2023, 09:14 AM

13,926 posts, read 39,275,326 times
Any dye in the food?

Old 11-11-2023, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
Any dye in the food?
Looking at RC's website, they don'y mention dye in their product description. And sorry, I don't have a bag to refer to, anymore. (They'd probably "hide" this info, anyway.)

But, they do mention transitioning from puppy formula to adult formula at the 10 month mark, for CKCS's.

So as to not upset our pup's tummy, we're are gradually reducing her puppy formula intake. (Now, if I could get her to quit eating the olives that fall off the trees...)

Old 11-11-2023, 06:33 PM

Checked the website, and it doesn't indicate dye, per se, but does indicate marigold extract (could be used for color or health benefit) and carotene, which we know imparts color to yellow and orange veggies. So, "natural coloring" is added, but as the next to the last and 4th to the last ingredients.

We used the puppy food specific to the Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, and she is now on the adult version of that food and doing well.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:09 AM

We're not using the CKCS specific, just the small breed puppy.

After trying several 'premium' brands over the years (and seeing no appreciable difference with any of them), we've settled on ProPlan Essentials for the adults. Maybe we've been lucky, but other than the nagging puppy tear stains, all of ours have done well with whatever we fed them.

Old 11-13-2023, 06:12 AM

50,340 posts, read 63,906,560 times
We use RC for dachshunds, and have not had this issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs