Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2023, 02:26 PM

19,743 posts, read 22,645,978 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie1 View Post
So You have Hated this dog for 11 years... WOW. Are you also going to hate his next dog?
Infer much?

She never said she hates the dog. She hates the stink.

Old 11-05-2023, 02:39 PM

50,344 posts, read 63,928,555 times
I would try sweet talking the bf into getting a second opinion from a different vet. I’d even offer to pay.

Lately, I’ve been seeing a spray on tv called Pooph! I think. It is supposedly safe to spray on animals as well as surfaces. It might help.

Old 11-05-2023, 03:07 PM

37,593 posts, read 45,966,010 times
Quote:
So You have Hated this dog for 11 years... WOW. Are you also going to hate his next dog?
LOL.

Old 11-05-2023, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post
I would try sweet talking the bf into getting a second opinion from a different vet. I’d even offer to pay.

Lately, I’ve been seeing a spray on tv called Pooph! I think. It is supposedly safe to spray on animals as well as surfaces. It might help.
I just talked to him about going back to the vet. He said there’s no point as there’s nothing wrong other than the fact that the stinks. But she didn’t used to stink. She never had much of an odor at all, until the last year or so. But he knows it’s bad. He used the word “putrid” this morning, referring to her.

He says it’s because she’s old. And that’s why I asked the question in the first place.

Last edited by ChessieMom; 11-05-2023 at 03:31 PM..

Old 11-05-2023, 03:34 PM

10,091 posts, read 6,422,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I just talked to him about going back to the vet. He said there’s no point as there’s nothing wrong other than the fact that the stinks. But she didn’t used to stink. She never had much of an odor at all, until the last year or so. But he knows it’s bad. He used the word “putrid” this morning, referring to her.

He says it’s because she’s old. And that’s why I asked the question in the first place.
If it's only been in the last year or so then the dog likely has a medical issue and needs to go to a different vet to find and fix the problem. Sounds like the BF is just too cheap/lazy to take proper care of his dog.

Old 11-05-2023, 03:43 PM

22,152 posts, read 19,206,964 times
Quote:
it's only been the last year that it's been a problem.

Old 11-05-2023, 04:51 PM

32,636 posts, read 47,995,345 times
Yeast infection in the ears can really stink and you said she has had reoccurring ear infections. A vet should catch that, but not all vets are good at everything they should be doing.

None of us can give much in the way of suggestions since we can't see the dog or smell what she smells like. Some stinks can be identified, but not over the internet. Most dog owners can tell the difference between impacted anal gland stink and yeast infection stink.

A common stink is dirty teeth. Open her mouth. Are her teeth clean? If there is tarter, she needs to have her teeth cleaned.

Sniff her ears. if the stink is at its worst near the ears, she has a yeast infection and if the boyfriend won't take her to the vet, if you fill the ear canal with body temperature mixture 50/50 white vinegar and rubbing alcohol and do that for several days, it will clear the yeast up.

If the smell is vaguely skunk-like, she needs some vet care for her anal glands.

Older Labs are really prone for thyroid issues and maybe she needs a blood test for thyroid levels.

If her vet can't find anything that makes her stink, then you need a different vet.

If it is oily coat, then a bath should fix the stink for a little while. If a bath doesn't make the smell go away, it isn't her skin or coat.

I don't know what else we can do for you. The dog needs a good qualified veterinarian who is willing to take the effort to find out why she stinks.

When she is bathed, get her coat dry, because if you leave the coat wet, she can get a yeast infection in her skin and that also stinks.

Old 11-05-2023, 04:54 PM
Status: "I don't understand. But I don't care, so it works out." (set 3 days ago)

35,613 posts, read 17,935,039 times
My guess is, it's kidney disease. If it were just lack of bathing, the dog would smell good after bathing. Dogs who are indoor dogs who are very rarely bathed don't usually smell bad - their skin has a bacterial flora that is in check, and keeps odor down.

You're not mentioning that the ears stink, or the feet or breath stinks, it's the dog that stinks.

There are treatments and diets for dogs with kidney disease, but that usually starts with a dental cleaning because filthy teeth are usually the cause of kidney disease in older dogs.

This seems really solvable, and it's a surprise that with such a long relationship between you two neither of you will do it to keep your relationship smooth.

Old 11-05-2023, 06:16 PM

5,424 posts, read 3,485,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChessieMom View Post
I just read an article that said Labs were more likely to stink than other breed. Yuck.
My niece has a lab that doesn't smell but gets bathed every month or so and an 8 pound Yorkie that smells putrid. The little one has to go to a groomer pretty often for a bath and most importantly to get her teeth cleaned and brushed. Most of the smell comes from the dog's mouth. Have you noticed that the lab's breath smells or just the skin itself?

Old 11-05-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
If it's only been in the last year or so then the dog likely has a medical issue and needs to go to a different vet to find and fix the problem. Sounds like the BF is just too cheap/lazy to take proper care of his dog.
I agree I’m afraid.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs