Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 06:28 PM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,190 times

Advertisements

Hi all,
In a few years I will be able to start a business that helps dogs in some way. Depending what it is, I may be able to start sooner, for example doing dog boarding in my home. Two of my ideas: (1) a dog food truck, which would serve packaged homemade treats and I would also cook a few things, and (2) online service helping to plan dog-friendly road trips all over the US. These ideas are fine, they may do OK depending on my motivation, but my ultimate dream is to create a facility (not calling it a shelter) for senior dogs.

Although I could start a service that would cater to already spoiled and loved dogs, I really want to help shelter, stray and/or neglected dogs more. Aside from my idea of a home for senior dogs, what other ideas do you have to help strays / shelter dogs, that could be a business? (probably non profit). I do not want the business based on anything I can't do - like vet services. I can get access to that, but it can't be the core of the service.

Just assume that money is no object and tell me your ideas. I want to make sure I have thought of everything.
THANKS
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2023, 04:08 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,824,628 times
In a few years I will be able to start a business that helps dogs in some way. Depending what it is, I may be able to start sooner, for example doing dog boarding in my home.

Two of my ideas: (1) a dog food truck, which would serve packaged homemade treats and I would also cook a few things,

IMHO, all this would really do is offer fancier treats/food for dogs whose owners can already afford them. Unless you'd be offering your food for free-low cost or will donate profits to rescues. There are lots and lots of gourmet and specialty dog foods available. Is that really helping the very dogs you say you care most about? Those dogs are still getting the cheaper junk.

and (2) online service helping to plan dog-friendly road trips all over the US.

Once again, people who can afford to travel/travel with their dogs can do this for themselves. Not all dogs want anything to do with traveling. Does this really benefit stray, neglected, or shelter dogs?

These ideas are fine, they may do OK depending on my motivation, but my ultimate dream is to create a facility (not calling it a shelter) for senior dogs.

Although I could start a service that would cater to already spoiled and loved dogs, I really want to help shelter, stray and/or neglected dogs more. Aside from my idea of a home for senior dogs, what other ideas do you have to help strays / shelter dogs, that could be a business? (probably non profit). I do not want the business based on anything I can't do - like vet services. I can get access to that, but it can't be the core of the service.

If I wanted to help the dogs that need it the most, I'd probably canvass regional shelters or rescue organizations and ask them what business services they could make the best use of. Offering low cost pet sitting/boarding, dog walking/socializing-play time, working with shelter pets to make them more adoptable, A clearinghouse to connect needy owners with affordable assistance, help shelters or rescue organizations locate and apply for grants, providing business or accounting services might do a lot more for the very dogs you say you're most interested in helping. While some of these services aren't hands on or glamorous, you'd still be doing a lot of good. What one region may need most another may not.

Just assume that money is no object and tell me your ideas. I want to make sure I have thought of everything.
THANKS

Last edited by Parnassia; 03-25-2023 at 04:53 PM..

Old 03-25-2023, 04:25 PM

10,305 posts, read 6,837,174 times
Start a dog walking business.

People around here have their dogs walked twice a day at $25 per dog, per visit. For 2 dogs, that's a $350 week...

Get 4 or 5 of these and you can pull down 5+ grand a month. Easy money, and you get exercise too!

Old 03-25-2023, 05:17 PM

4,227 posts, read 4,889,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Start a dog walking business.

People around here have their dogs walked twice a day at $25 per dog, per visit. For 2 dogs, that's a $350 week...

Get 4 or 5 of these and you can pull down 5+ grand a month. Easy money, and you get exercise too!
Dog walking is a good one. I can't believe the price people are paying for dog walks. It will also let the OP get a better idea on what dog owners want. I've actually looked into the dog food business and baulked because it's so competitive and it's actually very difficult to differentiate your product from other products.

Dog grooming is also a good one. As long as poodle crosses remain popular groomers will remain in good demand. Dog grooming builds a good relationship with the owner because of its repetitive nature, and given it requires a bit more than a leash and a pair of sneakers can be scaled a bit better than a dog walking business. Thing of all the services you can offer once you have that relationship with the owner: dog walking, food, boarding, meds, training etc.

Old 03-25-2023, 05:44 PM

2,333 posts, read 1,998,652 times
Since money is no object, I'll assume you aren't really interested in making a profit to stay alive. So, in some fashion, you expect to be independently wealthy, at least to some degree. But you know what? It doesn't matter, because my advice won't change, regardless.

Any time you want to start a business, you should start as absolutely small as possible. If you can do a "test run" with zero outside financing, perfect. Then grow it. Once you've got a foothold, and THEN need capitalization (funding), then pursue that. But the key is GROWING a business. Not relying on funding, or somebody else's ideas, to get it started. When you try and convert ideas into a business reality, first you have to determine if there really is a market. That means you need clients - or customers - or whatever you want to call them. But you HAVE to find people willing to buy your product/idea.

Next, realize that many many people have had similar thoughts. Your desires are not original or unique. That means that lots of people are already doing what is possible.

Next, and last for the moment, I would strongly suggest that you work in the pet industry for a while. The dog RESCUE industry is closest to what you describe, so find work in it. Do that for a year or two while you firm up your ideas. And remember that it will be your efforts and energy that ultimately will make what you build coalesce. Especially so when you are starting, and moving from ideas to making reality. Once you've grown, any staff will be important, but don't rely on someone else when you start up .

Old 03-25-2023, 06:54 PM

1,824 posts, read 802,049 times
Dog walking, dog daycare.

For the latter...no dog should be left alone all day while their people are at work. Lots of dog owners can afford quality dog day care. The coolest one I saw was in Missoula, MT. The dogs are picked up in a bus & driven to the daycare, which is a ranch where they can free-range & are taken on supervised hikes in the hills!

Also, many people who have dogs get sick or infirm, but their dogs still need to get out & exercise. Focus on that population of dog owners.

Old 03-26-2023, 05:11 PM

2,022 posts, read 1,739,513 times
If money wouldn't matter to us (keep dreaming again mgforshort ) I'd find some land, at least 1 acre or more with plenty of big trees for shade and I'd fence it in with 6-feet- high chain link fence. Add a porta potty, water fountain, trash cans, and invite dog owners with their pooch to a private dog park. There would be an agility course, a luring course for greyhounds, and an underground, covered tunnel for the terriers to be tested / trained in fox hunting - not to be confused with killing the fox because I like them. If water is available a small pond for swim training.

I might charge a nominal fee like $ 25 per year for membership. Then I offer it for free obedience training or AKC dog shows in exchange for help with cleanup and minor maintenance. The cost of running it would be the property tax, the fence, some insurance, taking care of the grass and so fort. Since money isn't an object I'd enjoy it immensely, just to see the dogs having the time of their life.

Old 03-27-2023, 05:10 AM

2,124 posts, read 6,822,190 times
Thank you! Some good ideas from one end to the other and that's what I was looking for. I know I need to talk to some shelters and vets for input too, and get more experience myself as pointed out. I do think I would need a dog business for "spoiled dogs" to make income to help the non-profit business. And I want the non profit to last after I am gone, be self-sustaining, so that will take a lot of work and a lot of people.

More ideas welcome!

Old 03-27-2023, 05:55 AM

17,378 posts, read 16,518,282 times
Maybe try volunteering at one of the rescue groups to see first hand what all they do. There is nothing quite like hands on experience.

Old 03-27-2023, 10:41 AM

26,639 posts, read 36,717,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJDevil View Post
Thank you! Some good ideas from one end to the other and that's what I was looking for. I know I need to talk to some shelters and vets for input too, and get more experience myself as pointed out. I do think I would need a dog business for "spoiled dogs" to make income to help the non-profit business. And I want the non profit to last after I am gone, be self-sustaining, so that will take a lot of work and a lot of people.

More ideas welcome!
Maybe some sort of adoptability bootcamp/charm school for hard-to-place shelter/rescue dogs. You could do a little of everything, depending on what they need, to make them more appealing to potential adopters. Get the dogs groomed, work on socialization, take some high-quality photos, give them exposure in your community. Start a social media page of the dogs you're helping, feature one each week, make a 501(c)3 for donations....I'm sure you can think of other things. Start it as a passion project and do whatever you do for a living and see what develops.

Last edited by Metlakatla; 03-27-2023 at 11:08 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs