Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2023, 11:58 AM

5,281 posts, read 3,084,050 times

Advertisements

I view e-collars as a safety tool and as a personal choice.

There are people that still use riding crops for their horses and I even remember a neighbor when I was young walking his dog with one to hit the dog when it slightly stayed off a straight line.
He didn’t beat his dog but he still hit him. A lot.
I don’t have it in me to hit a horse or a dog and view that as downright wrong, so I can see how people might feel the same way about e-collars if they are not very familiar with them.

I just don’t see e-collars in the same category as a “whipping stick” at all.
Some people might because they think the dog gets the heck shocked out of them but this is not how they work unless you are some kind of a sicko.
I don’t see a collar that will vibrate and will increase to a shock as a boundary ends as cruel.
What I see as cruel would be to let your dog get out when you could have easily avoided it.
I’m in the country and they don’t treat loose dogs forgivingly here neither do the speeding cars and trucks.
All the best.
Andy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2023, 12:33 PM

11,081 posts, read 6,903,040 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MechAndy View Post
I just knew my cattle dog would make the hardest dog to train and own list.
These dogs are not for everyone (the lazy dog owners).
The ones I’ve had were very easy to train.
They are easy because we work with them.

Most dogs are too smart to be left on their own to figure things out.
Would you do that to a 5 year old child?

Giving a little guidance throughout the day or your off hours goes a long way.
Sadly most people don’t get that and are the ones that really need the training.
I certainly don't doubt your statement that cattle dogs are among the hardest dogs to train. I sure got lucky with my boy. He's 63% Australian Cattle Dog and has the most amazing calm, sweet, lovable, deferential personality. He's a true delight. He lets my other dog get away with "murder' LOL. When he saw that I started correcting her and preventing her from taking his food, treats, toys, etc. he started really warming up. He's an abuse rescue who has had to learn over many years to trust. He'll never show his belly, though. Except when humans are far away and he's rolling in llush grass or beach sand.

I recently used an e-fence until it stopped working. I could try upping the zap on the collars, I guess. After some time passed my dogs would run right through the e-fence because the prize was worth taking the zap.

Old 03-24-2023, 08:55 PM

5,281 posts, read 3,084,050 times
I must have not said or relayed my thoughts properly.
I think the cattle dogs are very smart and easy to train.
They are one of my favorite breeds.

They get a bad rap from people that get one and don’t understand what they are getting into.
These are tenacious working dogs that need a purpose.
We have large predators here.
Ours keeps our place safe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs