Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-19-2023, 10:52 AM

10,292 posts, read 6,813,150 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
It is just another fad. I am seeing them show up at animal control facilities in a 100 mile radius around us, and there isn't that much population.

Like all other breeds that become a fad, people do not do their research, and find the dog really isn't a "fit" for their family. One should decide prior to adopting or purchase, based on research, whether a dog will be a fit.

I know someone that paid $1,000 for a labradoodle. When it was 3 years old, it ended up at the parents place in a pen behind a large utility building. After nearly a year, they were talked into allowing a young man to have the dog. He had been caring for it, and teaching it "manners". It was a beautiful ending to a horror story of ignorance. The dog did NONE of the behaviors once he was out every morning running with the young man.

People MUST do their research. This "designer" breed thing is a joke, as all the dog is in reality is a "mutt"! Mutts are great, but being priced like a purebred from exceptional lineage, just no!
You nailed it, on so many levels, here.

Ignorant owners being the most egregious.

And yes, they most certainly ARE mutts. (According to the AKC, anyway.)

Then again, there are some dang fine dogs running around, that are mutts. Some say, mutts are superior to "purebreds." I'm inclined to agree. They don't seem to have the expected health problems of the overbred "purebreds" that the AKC has deemed "pure." (And this, coming from a person that shows a "purebred.")
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-19-2023, 11:17 AM

9,952 posts, read 6,665,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
You nailed it, on so many levels, here.

Ignorant owners being the most egregious.

And yes, they most certainly ARE mutts. (According to the AKC, anyway.)

Then again, there are some dang fine dogs running around, that are mutts. Some say, mutts are superior to "purebreds." I'm inclined to agree. They don't seem to have the expected health problems of the overbred "purebreds" that the AKC has deemed "pure." (And this, coming from a person that shows a "purebred.")
Yes, it is usually ignorant owners. Usually they want the “nonshedding” aspect of a Doodle and a) some may shed, and b) they don’t realize that the grooming needs of a doodle are just as much as a poodle. They get the dog and realize they have to spend $200 every 6-8 weeks to keep their dog from getting matted and spend a lot of time brushing them. I think a lot of doodle breeders also stick to the F1b, and to get to that level that probably means there is a lot of inbreeding going on. There are other mixes that are two nonshedding breeds and with those, there is a much larger pool of possible parents.

Still, to me it seems like they are much healthier than a lot of the brachycephalic breeds. It’s so sad to me to see dogs like the Pekingese, French, or Shih tzu have such horrible problems breathing. Some of the features bred in for “cuteness” are the same features that make the dogs have horrible health problems.

Old 03-19-2023, 01:02 PM

16,235 posts, read 25,202,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiveMeCoffee View Post
Every time a poodle or poodle mix is posted by a rescue, there are a million applications for that one dog while the others languish.

I'm in the NYC metro area and people are nutso for oodles and poos. Is this true in your area? Why are poodle mixes so popular?
I think because the breed so so smart....and there have been lots of poodle mixes over the years....and the poodle has consistently been trustworthy and extremely trainable...making a great family pet.

Old 03-19-2023, 05:10 PM

6,895 posts, read 5,855,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NORTY FLATZ View Post
Some say, mutts are superior to "purebreds." I'm inclined to agree. They don't seem to have the expected health problems of the overbred "purebreds" that the AKC has deemed "pure." (And this, coming from a person that shows a "purebred.")
It's not being a mutt that makes them healthier than average, it's being a mutt that's part poodle. Poodles are one of a handful of popular purebred dog breeds that are less riddled with serious heritable diseases or disorders. So yeah, by the odds, crossing a little poodle with a Cav to get a Cavadoodle means you might actually get a dog that doesn't die of heart problems by age 8. But if you'd bred that poodle to another poodle you'd have gotten an even healthier, longer-lived dog. Same thing with crossing a standard Poodle to a Golden Retriever - great, you've lowered the offspring's chances of debilitating hip dysplasia, osteosarcoma and hemangiosarcoma, but if you'd bred two standards, your odds of those problems would have been even lower.

The mutts that are actually healthier are the Heinz 57 types that have actually been living survival-of-the-fittest type lives for a few generations. You want a dog that never gets sick and can survive anything, get a rez dog or a multi-generational street dog. Might eat your sofa, but they're indestructible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs