Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2008, 02:05 AM

1,368 posts, read 6,508,280 times

Advertisements

So, I've lived on campus for near two years now... and am starting to find places to move out to.

Ideally, I'll be renting from my father, and I'll figure out a pet deposit with him and find myself a dog after having had to put down our Samoyed Snowflake, and had to give up my Border Collie because of the fact that well, I moved onto campus and there was no one else who could take care of her.

So, I'm considering dogs again. I'm really partial to the border collies and samoyeds (ever seen a samoyed puppy? white ball of fluff. Tears at the heart)

But I also know that I'm fairly busy, and I'm concerned about the amount of time I could devote to their initial training, and then care for them afterwards. I'll have roommates, and I know at least one of them wants a dog as well, and so he and I could share responsibilities.

Any thoughts? Other dogs along the same lines are also acceptable, I love the Siberian Huskies, and other medium to big long hairs.

Yes, yes, I know they shed. Trust me, I was the one vacuuming at home before.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2008, 03:40 AM

18,737 posts, read 33,437,811 times
As much as you might enjoy the company of a dog, it doesn't sound like you are in a position to get one. Are you planning to live with your dog-friendly rommate for 10+ years? To me, a dog is about a 15-year commitment (and some live longer). If your life is that of a younger 20-something, it's not likely that you are going to stay in the same living or work situation for long. You're likely to spend a normal-to-high amount of time at work, and likely have a lot of social activities outside the home and job. None of this sounds like a life with a dog, never mind one that needs a lot of activity.

I'd beg you not to get a dog at this point in life, lest you join the many many post-college people who sadly take a year-old dog to the shelter because you "don't have time" or "landlord won't allow" or any other reasons likely to come up at that point in time.

I didn't get dogs until I bought a house with a yard and was able to fence the yard, and knew I'd be working third shift for some time to come. Even now, I prefer to adopt senior dogs, who are up for a quieter, slower life (or who otherwise might not have any home). It's very tempting to picture throwing the frisbee on Saturday afternoon, but your Frisbee-catching buddy is too likely to end up needing another home in short order.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
As much as you might enjoy the company of a dog, it doesn't sound like you are in a position to get one. Are you planning to live with your dog-friendly rommate for 10+ years? To me, a dog is about a 15-year commitment (and some live longer). If your life is that of a younger 20-something, it's not likely that you are going to stay in the same living or work situation for long. You're likely to spend a normal-to-high amount of time at work, and likely have a lot of social activities outside the home and job. None of this sounds like a life with a dog, never mind one that needs a lot of activity.

I'd beg you not to get a dog at this point in life, lest you join the many many post-college people who sadly take a year-old dog to the shelter because you "don't have time" or "landlord won't allow" or any other reasons likely to come up at that point in time.

I didn't get dogs until I bought a house with a yard and was able to fence the yard, and knew I'd be working third shift for some time to come. Even now, I prefer to adopt senior dogs, who are up for a quieter, slower life (or who otherwise might not have any home). It's very tempting to picture throwing the frisbee on Saturday afternoon, but your Frisbee-catching buddy is too likely to end up needing another home in short order.
to clarify some things.

1) No, I will not be living with my roommate for 10+ years, but for the next 2 years or so, where I will be extremely busy, there will be more than just me in the house.

2) After 2 years, I plan to buy my own place (I'm working a lot as a PC tech), and I really don't see any need to relocate from that point on, since my current job will grow and expand as my skills do.

3) I was going to be looking at the shelter anyway. I have a moral issue with paying for a dog, when there are many loving animals already in need of homes.

4) I have had dogs before, and am aware of the time required for said commitment. Its not a 'fantasy', its going back to the things that remind me of home.

So, lets steer the focus of this post away from, "reasons we believe Radek shouldn't have a dog because we're making gross overgeneralizations about the lifestyles of ~20yr old males" and more into, "What dog would be the best fit for Radek's lifestyle assuming that he does have the time to devote to training said dog, etc"

I won't be looking until the semester nears a close, as that will free up a large amount of time necessary. And fall semester will not be as hectic as my current situation.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:53 AM

6,764 posts, read 22,087,868 times
Owning a dog has changed a lot since I was a kid! We just got a rescue puppy (cost us a $250 donation plus the basic things she needs--still had to go and get a few more...) and NOW preventive medicines. Here shelter dogs cost just as much, puppies MORE. (yes, save a life but pay for it...making pet care becoming more and more exclusive...). Don't forget 'spay or neuter.' They all urge you to do it but costs are again up around $300 or more for the vet to do it.

I think it's great they try to keep the dogs healthy before a problem--you just have to figure it into your budget.

Also, do you have the money for 'good food'--again, another preventative measure. And for replacing destroyed stuff?

I am also always keeping an eye on my puppy--maybe it's obsessive but she's a baby and when she's not safe in her crate, she's trying to eat or chew something. This can be very exhaustive. No one says your roommates will be 'interested' in watching her so she is safe. My husband sits in the same room while she 'destroys' things and barely does anything to stop her...same for my son...except for 'tattling' on her.

Finally, remember, puppies and dogs often get up early. There's little motivation for a college student to get up early. I know, I was one myself...you really can't rely on 'roommates' who are living their young lives to 'pitch in' when they have pulled all nighters or partied till 5 am.

This is all the opinion of someone who DOESN'T work out of the house (I am a stay at home mom looking for work), we have a 9 year old, and my hubby works evening shift...so a large part of the 'drudge' work falls on me (waking up at 5 to take care of puppy, taking her out half a dozen times to find her doing her 'business' as soon as we come right in, dealing with the winter (ice/snow) while trying to train her.

I'm not saying she isn't sweet but it is TIRING.

I urge you to SERIOUSLY think of a less 'needy' pet...even a kitten can be more self sufficient.

Last edited by GypsySoul22; 02-15-2008 at 05:06 AM..

Old 02-15-2008, 05:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GypsySoul22 View Post
Owning a dog has changed a lot since I was a kid! We just got a rescue puppy (cost us a $250 donation plus the basic things she needs--still had to go and get a few more...) and NOW preventive medicines.

I think it's great they try to keep the dogs healthy before a problem--you just have to figure it into your budget.

Also, do you have the money for 'good food'--again, another preventative measure. And for replacing destroyed stuff?

I am also always keeping an eye on my puppy--maybe it's obsessive but she's a baby and when she's not safe in her crate, she's trying to eat or chew something. This can be very exhaustive. No one says your roommates will be 'interested' in watching her so she is safe. My husband sits in the same room while she 'destroys' things and barely does anything to stop her...same for my son...except for 'tattling' on her.

Finally, remember, puppies and dogs often get up early. There's little motivation for a college student to get up early. I know, I was one myself...you really can't rely on 'roommates' who are living their young lives to 'pitch in' when they have pulled all nighters or partied till 5 am.
I work 8-5ish M-F. And I have flexible lunch hours. My friends are up by 10am on weekdays.

In the summer, I MIGHT be able to handle a puppy, but we'll see what kind of work hours we all have... but a dog that doesn't need to be house trained, or that can be crated for 3 hours would definitely be easier to manage.

My particular roommate that I'm referring to, have both made strong noises about wanting a dog and we're both very responsible people. So, again... not really concerned about that particular aspect.

In regards to costs:
I'm a full/part-time college student majoring in Business/Philosophy (lets just put it at my study time is small).

I'm also working close to full-time, and have flexibility in my hours. I make great money, and my parents contribute to my tuition and living expenses.
My only 'debt' is my car payment, which is about 1/8th of my current monthly income, which will increase in 3 months with good performance at work.

And yeah, not entirely sure if I want a puppy... though a puppy would be easier to train.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:29 AM

223 posts, read 1,004,409 times
Radek, just an opinion here and if I was in your shoes, I would be looking toward animal shelters to adopt a dog or puppy that way, rather than looking toward pure breeds where you are looking to pay an arm and a leg for what you want. Another fantastic option is to be a foster parent to a dog. Rescue sites are ALWAYS looking for foster homes and this way if something happens and you need to move to a location a couple years down the road where dogs aren't permited, it'll be a little easier to give that dog back to the rescue. This is also a great way to try out different breeds ... many rescues specialize in certain breeds and you might find one for Samoyeds. As for the Sibe, stear clear of them in your situation. They really need a fenced in yard and another playmate. Extremely social and will bore quickly. Do your homework so to say and learn everything about the breed or mix of breeds you end up getting. Shelters are already full and as you already know, it's painful to have to give up your dog ... and a lot of people get upset at seeing that situation because the result is, generally, from uneducated pet owners. I see that a lot on the Sibe side.

Old 02-15-2008, 05:35 AM

5,238 posts, read 8,804,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radek View Post
had to give up my Border Collie because of the fact that well, I moved onto campus and there was no one else who could take care of her.

But I also know that I'm fairly busy, and I'm concerned about the amount of time I could devote to their initial training, and then care for them afterwards. I'll have roommates, and I know at least one of them wants a dog as well, and so he and I could share responsibilities.

Any thoughts?
You've already "given up" one dog that didn't fit your lifestyle. You are not ready for another. What about when you get a job in a couple years and can only find a little apartment that won't allow large dogs. Will you give up another dog? Your life is too unsettled right now. You have already failed in one attempt. Volunteer at the local shelter if you want to get your cute puppy ya-ya's out.

You are also considering working dogs. Do you know anything about working dogs? They need a lot of attention, and if they don't get it, they'll tear the place up, have emotional issues, maybe become "unadoptable" when you go to give him up.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkiChick View Post
Radek, just an opinion here and if I was in your shoes,

I would be looking toward animal shelters to adopt a dog or puppy that way, rather than looking toward pure breeds where you are looking to pay an arm and a leg for what you want.

I was going to be looking at the shelter anyway. I have a moral issue with paying for a dog, when there are many loving animals already in need of homes.

Another fantastic option is to be a foster parent to a dog. Rescue sites are ALWAYS looking for foster homes and this way if something happens and you need to move to a location a couple years down the road where dogs aren't permited, it'll be a little easier to give that dog back to the rescue.

This is also a great way to try out different breeds ... many rescues specialize in certain breeds and you might find one for Samoyeds. As for the Sibe, stear clear of them in your situation. They really need a fenced in yard and another playmate. Extremely social and will bore quickly. Do your homework so to say and learn everything about the breed or mix of breeds you end up getting. Shelters are already full and as you already know, it's painful to have to give up your dog ... and a lot of people get upset at seeing that situation because the result is, generally, from uneducated pet owners. I see that a lot on the Sibe side.
(The piece in red, I had said in a previous post)

The bolt piece contains useful information to me. The rest? Please re-read MY posts for that information. The fact that the Siberians really need a playmate is useful, because I don't have the time nor energy for two dogs.

This is my asking the CD Pets community about their homework and experience with these breeds. I wasn't really intending to get a lecture from 5 different people who don't know what my life is really like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
You've already "given up" one dog that didn't fit your lifestyle. You are not ready for another.

What about when you get a job in a couple years and can only find a little apartment that won't allow large dogs. Will you give up another dog? Your life is too unsettled right now.

2) After 2 years, I plan to buy my own place (I'm working a lot as a PC tech), and I really don't see any need to relocate from that point on, since my current job will grow and expand as my skills do.

You have already failed in one attempt. Volunteer at the local shelter if you want to get your cute puppy ya-ya's out.

You are also considering working dogs. Do you know anything about working dogs? They need a lot of attention, and if they don't get it, they'll tear the place up, have emotional issues, maybe become "unadoptable" when you go to give him up.
Again, red means I posted it earlier.

In regards to the orange. I'm sorry that we rescued a border collie puppy because I was in Eastern WA, and the options were take that puppy or let it die. Because the farmer already had one pup, and didn't need the others. So I'm sorry I took it home, house-trained it, fed it, introduced it to our samoyed, and raised her from a pup. I'm really sorry I 'failed' at that so that some other household who has multiple children who can really be there and play with the dog now have a dog that would've been buried in the middle of washington. Yeah, thats a failure in my book.

I was 15 when we got that 6mo old pup, and was 19 when I had to give her away. At the same time, we had also put down snowflake, who was dying of basically old age. Putting one dog out of its misery and giving another dog some playmates is a 'failure'.

In regards to the working dogs, I have HAD both a samoyed and a border collie, and trained them both to various degrees. I have received instructions from family friends who raised seeing eye dogs in CA, and have other resources at my disposal as well.

Again, this thread is getting dangerously close to off-topic. My question is not whether or not you THINK that you know enough about ME, MY LIFE, MY SITUATION to determine if *I* should have a dog, I've covered the fact that I *KNOW* from EXPERIENCE what it takes to raise a dog. Both from one that was abused (Snowflake) and one that was a puppy (the Border Collie).

I like extremely active dogs as I lead an active lifestyle.

And to head off the inevitable, "See, that quick temper and your aggravation is a good reason to not have a dog"
I get aggravated when people continually don't read what I've posted, or continue to force their opinions down my throat.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:23 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,735,706 times
I suggest that you adopt an adult dog from a shelter, a rescue or a foster home. A non-breed specific shelter will probably be cheaper and easier to adopt from. Go to Petfinders and start looking in your area. Don't be in a hurry and fall in love with the first pair of sad eyes you see. Make sure it's a dog that is suitable for you in your situation now.

If the dog is in foster care, the people will be able to tell you whether it can handle your being gone all day. We adopted a dog that had been fostered and it was wonderful because the foster mom was able to assure me that the dog was very sweet and completely non-aggressive, which was important to me because we had a 5-year-old and 2 cats at the time.

It was my experience that shelter workers were a bit standoffish until I had been there 3 or 4 times and they realized that I was serious about adopting and was getting my yard and house prepared to handle a new dog. Then they became very helpful. You can even ask them to be on the lookout for the breed of dog you want.

Take your time and make a rational decision and you'll and your dog should be just fine.

Old 02-15-2008, 08:24 AM

13,410 posts, read 28,763,397 times
Radek.....maybe a compromise how about a breed or mixed breed that doesn't have the energy level of the dogs you're accustomed to??

How about little clowns..like a French or English bull dog??? Both very lovable, great companions but virtually sleep all day when you are gone?? true couch potatoes but very social dogs...also mine LOVES to play and run to catch a ball et al but are usually ok home alone all day

Unfortunately because of the rise in popularity of these breeds many are now in rescue

Good luck in your search
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Pets > Dogs