Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-04-2023, 04:23 PM

10,545 posts, read 7,735,179 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaikikiWaves View Post

I personally eat between 250-300g of protein a day, spread over 5 meals. I'm 225lbs, 6'4". I almost certainly don't need that much protein, but I do it to maintain muscle, and also keeps me full..
Wow. Well, you're a big active guy who needs a lot of calories.

My fitbit tells me I need those 2500 calories per day based on my "zone minutes". I'm a relatively active 65 year old, fraction of an inch taller than you but 50 lbs lighter. If I were to guess, my protein intake would be around 50 grams a day, possibly less. With not much muscle, it doesn't seem necessary for me to eat a lot of protein to maintain.

For seniors concerned about losing muscle, probably using those muscles is of paramount importance, right?
I'm still able to do just about any physical work or play that comes my way.

Feeling full anymore for me indicates I've overeaten.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2023, 04:31 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arktikos View Post
Wow. Well, you're a big active guy who needs a lot of calories.

My fitbit tells me I need those 2500 calories per day based on my "zone minutes". I'm a relatively active 65 year old, fraction of an inch taller than you but 50 lbs lighter. If I were to guess, my protein intake would be around 50 grams a day, possibly less. With not much muscle, it doesn't seem necessary for me to eat a lot of protein to maintain.

For seniors concerned about losing muscle, probably using those muscles is of paramount importance, right?
I'm still able to do just about any physical work or play that comes my way.

Feeling full anymore for me indicates I've overeaten.
I don't trust those devices too much. I have an apple watch and use it for tracking steps and overall activity, but when exercising it has me burning around 1200 kcal an hour weight lifting, when I know it cannot be that much. For cardio though, it seems spot on.

I eat 3,000-3500 calories a day, so roughly 1/4-1/3 of my calories come from protein.

If you lift weights regularly, you're very sensitive to losing muscle mass (your strength declining). For day to day activities, obviously not something you'd notice. But losing 1 rep or going down in weight on my lifts is very psychologically painful.

By feel "full", I guess means not hungry. Protein keeps you satiated and longer, because it has a higher thermogenic effect. It takes longer to digest. And this is why older people need more, they become less efficient at digesting those necessary amino acids.

Besides keeping you full longer, it also costs your body more calories to digest. Eg You eat 100 kcal of protein, your body requires 30 kcal to digest, so you net 70. With fat, your body requires just 5 kcal, (so net 95) and with ordinary carbs, around 10 kcal (so net 90).

Old 12-05-2023, 12:36 AM

24,597 posts, read 9,437,319 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
A very low-calorie diet that is mainly composed of less than stellar-quality food, I think I will pass.
They'll still lose weight.

Old 12-05-2023, 05:02 AM

8,754 posts, read 5,042,001 times
3/4 of a small bananna? What do you do with the 1/4 that is left?

Old 12-05-2023, 09:06 AM

10,887 posts, read 7,370,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie&Rose View Post
3/4 of a small bananna? What do you do with the 1/4 that is left?
All the calories fall out, and you can snack on it when nobody's looking.

Old 12-05-2023, 04:09 PM

2,232 posts, read 2,401,997 times
That calorie amount seems way too low.. I will be very depressed if I have to eat that little later in life just to maintain a normal weight lol.

Old 12-05-2023, 05:51 PM

3,566 posts, read 1,492,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kgordeeva View Post
That calorie amount seems way too low.. I will be very depressed if I have to eat that little later in life just to maintain a normal weight lol.
Hmmm, I would rethink the emphasis you place on food. For me, eating or not eating doesn't impact my enjoyment of life (those are activities I do and people I share them with). Sure, eating tasty food is pleasurable, but only for a fleeting moment, and always the first bite is always the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss