Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2024, 10:48 AM

76 posts, read 58,615 times

Advertisements

49 female and want to lose at least 40 lbs. I’m eating 1000 calories or less. Low carb. I walk or ride my bike (I’ve always exercises though). I feel less bloated and clothes feel slightly better but no change on the scale.

Today I was almost a lb more than I was last week. The strange thing is was when I was eating crap and tons of calories I didn’t gain any weight. It’s like I’m stuck at the same weight regardless (fluctuating 5 lbs maybe). I need to lose weight though due to type 2 diabetes. I can tell the difference right away in diabetes symptoms. Not thirsty anymore. (Have to force to drink water since I’ve been eating lower carb) Not getting up 4 times a night to pee.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2024, 01:41 PM

23,380 posts, read 18,993,614 times
Something doesn't add up here. Maybe your calorie counting is off or you aren't accounting for something you're eating.

Muscle weighs more than fat. If you have increased or changed the exercise you're getting trying to lose weight, its possible you've added more muscle than you've lost fat over that two weeks.

There's an entire subforum here discussing weight loss. Have a mod move your question there. I'm sure you'll get an earful (er, eyeful)!

Last edited by Parnassia; 04-30-2024 at 02:25 PM..

Old 04-30-2024, 03:20 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
It could be an issue of how much liquid has been consumed.

At 57 I notice that weight does not come off as easily and as quickly as it used to.

I think it is helpful to also take all your measurements when losing weight. When you exercise a lot (or more than before), sometimes the weight may stay the same, but moved to better areas.

I've had times where I lost no weight, but my waist was an inch smaller.

I think two weeks is way too early to expect results, although I know it's discouraging.

If you continue to not lose any weight I would start (if you are not already), weighing your food portions. It is SO easy to more than a serving of most foods.

Then I would check your Rx's to see if any of those meds could be contributing to weight gain. I was on one where the weight would NOT come off, once I was off that med things went back to normal.

If you haven't had your thyroid checked, you should. I've been on thyroid meds for about 5 years, and in the last year they had to up my dosage.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-30-2024, 03:40 PM

23,380 posts, read 18,993,614 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikala43 View Post
If you haven't had your thyroid checked, you should. I've been on thyroid meds for about 5 years, and in the last year they had to up my dosage.
The original thread start seems to have been edited since it was moved here. Didn't you mention in the earlier version that you're also hypothyroid OP?

Old 04-30-2024, 04:13 PM

3,316 posts, read 9,199,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
Something doesn't add up here. Maybe your calorie counting is off or you aren't accounting for something you're eating.

Muscle weighs more than fat. If you have increased or changed the exercise you're getting trying to lose weight, its possible you've added more muscle than you've lost fat over that two weeks.

There's an entire subforum here discussing weight loss. Have a mod move your question there. I'm sure you'll get an earful (er, eyeful)!
Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Muscle takes up less volume but a pound is a pound is a pound, be it muscle, fat, feathers, or iron.

Old 04-30-2024, 04:16 PM

48,574 posts, read 34,956,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southernlady5464 View Post
Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. Muscle takes up less volume but a pound is a pound is a pound, be it muscle, fat, feathers, or iron.
But we know what she meant.

A 5x5 slab of fat weighs less than a 5x5 slab of muscle.

If I said this bar of gold weighs more than this bag of feathers, everyone knows what was meant.
And check this out: FAQ
Moderator: Relationships Forum / Hawaii Forum / Dogs / Pets / Current Events

Old 04-30-2024, 04:34 PM

963 posts, read 576,087 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammy75 View Post
I’m eating 1000 calories or less
Quote:
the scale hasn't changed
One of these statements is not true.

Old 04-30-2024, 05:16 PM

2,075 posts, read 1,687,797 times
Add in some weight/resistance training and make sure you are getting enough protein. Muscle burns calories even at rest, whereas fat doesn't. And yeah, a given volume of muscle does weigh more than the same volume of fat.

Old 04-30-2024, 06:28 PM

22,014 posts, read 13,054,832 times
Well, 49 (perimenopausal or fully menopausal) and female. There's your answer! It's mine, too, unfortunately...

Old 04-30-2024, 06:36 PM

30,512 posts, read 19,271,318 times
Quote:
49 female and want to lose at least 40 lbs. I’m eating 1000 calories or less. Low carb. I walk or ride my bike (I’ve always exercises though). I feel less bloated and clothes feel slightly better but no change on the scale.

Today I was almost a lb more than I was last week. The strange thing is was when I was eating crap and tons of calories I didn’t gain any weight. It’s like I’m stuck at the same weight regardless (fluctuating 5 lbs maybe). I need to lose weight though due to type 2 diabetes. I can tell the difference right away in diabetes symptoms. Not thirsty anymore. (Have to force to drink water since I’ve been eating lower carb) Not getting up 4 times a night to pee.

I've got diabetes and have tried various diets, currently doing zero carb Carnivore with great results. Other things I do which I think are helpful are:
-High Intensity Interval Training
- Yoga
- Weightlifting
- Biking

I am strong and have only an 8% bodyfat so I'm very happy with my results.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Diet and Weight Loss