Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2024, 08:12 AM

22,653 posts, read 24,575,170 times

Advertisements

I think one of the problems in the scenario of the OP is, it can be fairly tricky to accurately ascertain just how much of a negative-impact a dead/dying tooth is having on your overall health.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2024, 12:54 PM

451 posts, read 421,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelassie View Post
I had something similar to what you are showing with a back molar several years after I had had aroot canal and crown on that tooth. The loss of the nerve with the root canal made it not painful at all, otherwise with an intact tooth with its nerves I would think it would be very painful. The cause of those pus pockets appearing on the gumline under the tooth is an infection under the tooth, or around a tooth in the gum and the material ( pus) from the infection trying to make its way out to the surface. The x-rays and careful examination of same by my dentist showed I had an abscess next to one of the molar roots under the gumline. That molar had had a root canal and crown, but apparently the material they put in to replace the nerve and whatever else they drill out during the root canal had cracked, that crack went all the way out to the exterior surface of the tooth root. This provided a source of contamination ( oral bacteria, food particles, whatever other schmootz you find in the mouth and created a great breeding ground for whatever bacteria chose to set up housekeeping there.

Such an abscess will come and go intermitently. I'd "pop" any abscess that appeared on my gum, which will relieve any pressure building up as the under the gum abscess progresses, then I'd use mouthwash and brush my teeth often. But until the infection in the gum is eradicated, those abscesses will continue to appear on the outside of the gum. I finally had the molar extracted, ( went through a course of antibiotic therapy first) and that took care of the infection.

So, I'm betting that what you are seeing there is the breakout of an abscess on your gum from an infection in the gum either around or attached to a tooth root. There may be an opening from a crack or break in that tooth associated with that infection.

Thanks travellassie for the exact description of what I have right now. Old root canal done front tooth. Cracked and slow infection. Now I'm having it pulled next week. Wait a few months with temp tooth so it can heal and then implant.
Lucky I got great dentist where I'm at and less than Half usa costs,
Great description TL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health