Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-13-2021, 12:28 PM

20,550 posts, read 17,705,684 times

Advertisements

Years ago I used to see my dentist atleast twice a year for cleaning. I've gotten more decays and work that are needed. I haven't seen my dentist for 2+ year and last month I saw him and he didn't book me at all. He said no issues.

I personally just think that teeth cleaning is one of the worst thing to do for your teeth unless you're a smoker or just want your teeth whitened. What the dentists do to teeth is too abrasive and damaging to the enamel.

My teeth cleaning regime now is having a baking soda only toothpaste. I drink coffee with a straw and don't drink sodas anymore. I tried to brush teeth quickly if I had wine.

I also only use a water spray or floss vs a wire string floss which I think is very easy to cause damage to the lining of your gums.

And lastly the less sugar you eat the less chance of tooth decay. Cavities are caused by enamel damage due to acid formed by germs that feed off sugar and carbs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2021, 01:15 PM

23,297 posts, read 18,837,889 times
What works for YOU won't necessarily be the best approach for someone else OP. Anecdotes are exactly that...and of limited use. Heredity plays a huge part in dental health history.

FWIW (and because this is also an anecdote, not too much), I've gone in for an annual exam/routine cleaning once a year since grade school. Didn't need a single repair until an accident broke a slice off a premolar in college. Didn't need another repair after that for over 30 years. My diet wasn't perfect by any means. My enamel is fine despite all those dastardly annual cleanings. I've always used one of two ordinary off-the-grocery-store-shelf fluoride toothpastes. Floss with ordinary OTC floss when I think about it. My gums are fine despite that too.

As for correlating fewer visits to a dentist with fewer problems, well, some say ignorance is bliss.

Until it isn't.

Then you have to pay the piper.

Last edited by Parnassia; 06-13-2021 at 02:00 PM..

Old 06-13-2021, 03:26 PM

5,712 posts, read 4,289,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Parnassia View Post
What works for YOU won't necessarily be the best approach for someone else OP. Anecdotes are exactly that...and of limited use.

Haven't you met Vision before?

2 years ago he stopped his junky way of living and eating, lost a bunch of weight, and now his dental health is improved too.

Remarkable, and its all because he stopped going to the dentist.

Old 06-19-2021, 01:14 PM

29,266 posts, read 16,753,924 times
I've told my story here and believe me have done yrs of dental visits and dental work and for just over 10 yrs I have NOT seen a dentist. And I believe along with all my antioxidants I take and getting with Coconut Oil Toothpaste and some Myrrh Tincture if a pain hits me with a couple areas, I'm just fine and happy to not go to a dentist. And I don't bring major refined carbs and avoid candies in my life. Gotta do it, I've paid from not doing it. This works for me.....

Old 06-25-2021, 04:45 AM

572 posts, read 325,781 times
Regular cleaning from a dentist do damage the enamel. Regular cleaning at home is the key to healthy teeth. But sometimes in emergencies you have to consult a dentist. Every individual has a different story concerning their needs of a dentist.

Old 07-04-2021, 04:42 PM

3,211 posts, read 2,978,672 times
"The less I see my dentist the less problem I have (vs, teeth)"

Ignorance is bliss.

Old 07-04-2021, 05:07 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
I HAVE A bad habit of counting.
When I walk into an office,be it a dentist,GP,restaurant,bar,I ask how do they pay their bills?
Store rent is never a bargain along with utilities,some said you have t o work 16 days to pay rent before you can pay yourself and inventory.
Just came back from a dentist office,nice clean office with A/C,3 girls at front desk,walking down the hallway,nice rooms left and right,mine has monitor showing my xrays,dentist showed me where the decay is.
first visit is consultation 90 dollars,second visit first is cleansing(I SAID I have it done not long ago with another dentist,and do I really need to do the whole mouth again just so she can patch up one molar with silver chemical),she became rather upset and insisted I should clean my teeth again!
OK,OK,lets do it for $80,then she used that silver diomide to seal cavity of one tooth,another $80.
so altogether I spent $250 with her and another $80 with another dentist.
Now ask yourself how can a dental office make it on just $90 per patient ,how many do they see per day,how do they pay their bills?
A friend of mine who worked for her husband who is an OB/GYNE told me if they dont have surgery,they lose money that month,she worked for free.
You cannot just make money on regular visits.
Ditto with all the others.
so yes,one does not have to see a dentist for checkup,they told me I should clean my teeth every 3 months!

Old 07-04-2021, 05:12 PM

10,864 posts, read 6,480,995 times
I also once asked my friend why so many OB/GYNE are willing to treat Medicaid patients since the pay is so little for a pepsmear or office consultation?
She said there is a good chance these patients on Medicaid would have complications,so thats where the money is.

Old 07-08-2021, 04:46 AM

3 posts, read 2,292 times

Thank you for sharing this information with us

Old 08-06-2021, 12:33 PM

1 posts, read 601 times
[url=https://uvteeth.com][/url]
I went to the dentist for the first time in three years and I had two cavities, honestly, if I just flossed, I probably would not have had any.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Health and Wellness > Dental Health