Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-27-2024, 07:44 AM

19,461 posts, read 27,955,044 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimrob1 View Post
Thanks for that info. Have you done any of the cruises out of San Diego to Vancouver or Alaska? I think I would like that one. I'm not sure if those are repo cruises.
Among others, we did NY to Seattle, Ft Lauderdale to Santiago, Chile and Seattle to Vancouver (not officially a repo cruise, but it included Alaska), San Diego (or was it LA?) To the HI islands ending in Honolulu.

One of the repo cruise considerations that I'm not sure you've thought about is weather. Typically, your departure city is just entering low season, and your debarkation city is just entering shoulder season. If weather is a major factor for enjoying a vacation for you, repo cruises may not be a good choice.

We usually plan a few days before and after the cruise to explore the departure and arrival cities - for us, that's a great extra from a repo cruise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-27-2024, 08:44 AM

9,545 posts, read 16,578,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
Among others, we did NY to Seattle, Ft Lauderdale to Santiago, Chile and Seattle to Vancouver (not officially a repo cruise, but it included Alaska), San Diego (or was it LA?) To the HI islands ending in Honolulu.

One of the repo cruise considerations that I'm not sure you've thought about is weather. Typically, your departure city is just entering low season, and your debarkation city is just entering shoulder season. If weather is a major factor for enjoying a vacation for you, repo cruises may not be a good choice.

We usually plan a few days before and after the cruise to explore the departure and arrival cities - for us, that's a great extra from a repo cruise.
Your right about the weather, and it does have to be considered on the repo cruises. So after alot of research on taking a repo cruise I booked one yesterday. It was booked through a travel agent in my area. I booked a Norwegian 14 day cruise from NY to South Hampton in May. The cruise stops in Nova Scotia, Ireland, Amsterdam, Belgium, France and England. I will have 2 days in London at the end of the trip. Then fly back to Boston. I am hoping the ocean is calmer in May. I did not pay a single supplement, and was given a bigger cabin as solo cabins were sold out. I can't believe how reasonable the cost is. I keep thinking it's to good to be true. I am really looking forward to this cruise .

Do you think I should change some money into Euros before I leave. I know I will need some Euros in the visits to these ports. It's just brief visits but I will want to get off the ship and visit. England is pounds I guess. Or is a credit card sufficient in ports to use? Norwegian sent me a message that they do not do money exchange on the ship. Also that any money spent on the ship has to be US currency.

Old 01-27-2024, 12:30 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,800 posts, read 58,320,501 times
Quote:
... I can't believe how reasonable the cost is. I keep thinking it's to good to be true. I am really looking forward to this cruise .

Do you think I should change some money into Euros before I leave. ...

I never take local currency, it is cheaper to get on location from an ATM at local ratyes (not a USD rate, of which it offers a choice)
Do you have a debit / cash card (preferably without international exchange fees?)
I take (2) Schwab is international friendly (be sure to put a travel notification on all your cards)
CC will suffice in most cases. (The Netherlands has been the only country I have had issues, as they want a Dutch card with PIN (especially at remote train stations with no cashier)).

I've never spent a dime onboard.

Yes, Repositioning are my favorite (and only) cruises. From $50 - $100/ day. Once you have perks for frequent cruiser those fares can decrease significantly, as well as more upgrades.

Weather has never been a problem (lucky I guess), but... those I know who have done southern west coast (USA and South America) cruises have sometimes had difficult seas.

Plenty of menu options for diabetic (including main course / dining room), but always at the buffet.
We've never bought a drink package, never needed.

Most interesting was from Dubai to Venice, not something I would do otherwise, and definately not a good idea today. We had a commando squad of Filipinos come on board for security, they carried automatic weapons and had the fire hoses out + every night all the windows were required to be masked off. And we traveled without lights. A few times we had skifts approach us with about 20 men on them (strange when you're in the middle of an ocean..). Where did they come from? Where were they going?

Enjoy your trip, it should be a good one. (Bring layers for NS and Ireland) We did Ireland in June (the driest month). Flowers will be nice in Western Europe and UK. Amsterdam is really intersting, we stayed for a month and used the Museumkaart for 300+ museums nationwide. You can rent a small boat (Complete with picnic lunch and wine) and explore the canals. https://www.amsterdamsights.com/about/museumcard.html

Old 01-27-2024, 01:48 PM

19,461 posts, read 27,955,044 times
Quote:
Your right about the weather, and it does have to be considered on the repo cruises. So after alot of research on taking a repo cruise I booked one yesterday. It was booked through a travel agent in my area. I booked a Norwegian 14 day cruise from NY to South Hampton in May. The cruise stops in Nova Scotia, Ireland, Amsterdam, Belgium, France and England. I will have 2 days in London at the end of the trip. Then fly back to Boston. I am hoping the ocean is calmer in May. I did not pay a single supplement, and was given a bigger cabin as solo cabins were sold out. I can't believe how reasonable the cost is. I keep thinking it's to good to be true. I am really looking forward to this cruise .

Do you think I should change some money into Euros before I leave. I know I will need some Euros in the visits to these ports. It's just brief visits but I will want to get off the ship and visit. England is pounds I guess. Or is a credit card sufficient in ports to use? Norwegian sent me a message that they do not do money exchange on the ship. Also that any money spent on the ship has to be US currency.

The "money spent on the ship" has to be credit card, which will be in USD. Very simple.

Personally, I haven't bothered with exchanging money in YEARS. I take two credit cards (keeping them in separate places in case one gets 'lost') and a debit card. The debit card will be the easiest and cheapest way to get local cash -whether it's pounds, euro's or whatever.

Do you live in Boston? If not, PLEASE do yourself a huge favor and fly into Boston at least a day before departure.

Enjoy.

Old 01-27-2024, 10:43 PM

16,410 posts, read 30,371,725 times
Quote:
Thanks for that info. Have you done any of the cruises out of San Diego to Vancouver or Alaska? I think I would like that one. I'm not sure if those are repo cruises.

We have been looking at a couple of the repositioning cruises on HAL out of Vancouver. One leaves Vancouver and heads north to Seward and continues on to Yokohama. The other leaves Vancouver, heads to San Diego, the Panama Canal before ending up in Fort Lauderdale.

To answer the initial question of the OP, I use the Vacations to Go website.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
I never take local currency, it is cheaper to get on location from an ATM at local ratyes (not a USD rate, of which it offers a choice)
Do you have a debit / cash card (preferably without international exchange fees?)
I take (2) Schwab is international friendly (be sure to put a travel notification on all your cards)
CC will suffice in most cases. (The Netherlands has been the only country I have had issues, as they want a Dutch card with PIN (especially at remote train stations with no cashier)).

I've never spent a dime onboard.

Yes, Repositioning are my favorite (and only) cruises. From $50 - $100/ day. Once you have perks for frequent cruiser those fares can decrease significantly, as well as more upgrades.

Weather has never been a problem (lucky I guess), but... those I know who have done southern west coast (USA and South America) cruises have sometimes had difficult seas.

Plenty of menu options for diabetic (including main course / dining room), but always at the buffet.
We've never bought a drink package, never needed.

Most interesting was from Dubai to Venice, not something I would do otherwise, and definately not a good idea today. We had a commando squad of Filipinos come on board for security, they carried automatic weapons and had the fire hoses out + every night all the windows were required to be masked off. And we traveled without lights. A few times we had skifts approach us with about 20 men on them (strange when you're in the middle of an ocean..). Where did they come from? Where were they going?

Enjoy your trip, it should be a good one. (Bring layers for NS and Ireland) We did Ireland in June (the driest month). Flowers will be nice in Western Europe and UK. Amsterdam is really intersting, we stayed for a month and used the Museumkaart for 300+ museums nationwide. You can rent a small boat (Complete with picnic lunch and wine) and explore the canals. https://www.amsterdamsights.com/about/museumcard.html
I do use a Debit Card and I plan on using that, and credit card. I don't think I will have any charges on the ship other than the tip payment. It is $20 per day on Norwegian. Where did you stay in Amsterdam for a month? If I did that I would have to stay In a hostel. Hotel rates must be outrageous in Amsterdam.

Yes this should be a wonderful trip. First time in my life experiencing anything like this.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
The "money spent on the ship" has to be credit card, which will be in USD. Very simple.

Personally, I haven't bothered with exchanging money in YEARS. I take two credit cards (keeping them in separate places in case one gets 'lost') and a debit card. The debit card will be the easiest and cheapest way to get local cash -whether it's pounds, euro's or whatever.

Do you live in Boston? If not, PLEASE do yourself a huge favor and fly into Boston at least a day before departure.

Enjoy.
Yes the debit and credit card is probably the best way to go.

Good advice arrive the day before departure. I do live in Massachusetts between Boston and Providence RI. The ship departs from NYC. So I will take the bus or train from Providence to NYC. Its about a 3 hour trip though it's taken longer. So I will leave the day before the ship departs, and stay at a hotel near the cruise terminal.

Old 01-28-2024, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
We have been looking at a couple of the repositioning cruises on HAL out of Vancouver. One leaves Vancouver and heads north to Seward and continues on to Yokohama. The other leaves Vancouver, heads to San Diego, the Panama Canal before ending up in Fort Lauderdale.

To answer the initial question of the OP, I use the Vacations to Go website.
Those sound like very interesting trips. Evidently there are a number of these type cruises to choose from. I hope if you decide on one it will be a very enjoyable one.

Old 01-28-2024, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Yes the debit and credit card is probably the best way to go.

Good advice arrive the day before departure. I do live in Massachusetts between Boston and Providence RI. The ship departs from NYC. So I will take the bus or train from Providence to NYC. Its about a 3 hour trip though it's taken longer. So I will leave the day before the ship departs, and stay at a hotel near the cruise terminal.
If you check bags on any transit method inbound to a cruise, Be sure to have your cruise luggage labels in place, so any lost luggage can catch up with the cruise. (Difficult on a relocation)

Thus we always travbel with carry-on only (Including our RTW trip, gone for a yr, all kinds of climates)

The 'Formal nights' are a bit challenging, but are geting far less 'formal'. We've borrowed fancy clothes from table mates when on far away cruises (that we didn't expect to use as 'transportation' between regions.

Old 01-28-2024, 12:26 PM

Quote:
.... Where did you stay in Amsterdam for a month? If I did that I would have to stay In a hostel. Hotel rates must be outrageous in Amsterdam.

Most international areas in Europe have very inexpensive rates (~$400-$600 / month) for renting furnished flats, often in small towns within easy train distance to larger city. Look for lodging resources for international students, sonce most Euro Universities do not have dorms, so students use rental flats.

Many nice towns near Amsterdam. great public transportation (With bicycles for rent at each station). Be very careful for the busy Bike Lane while crossing streets! https://amsterdamwonderland.com/how-...-in-amsterdam/
HOW TO CROSS THE ROAD IN AMSTERDAM AND MORE (YES REALLY, READ THIS!)
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO by AMSTERDAMWONDERLAND AUGUST 23, 2023
https://www.visitaalsmeer.nl/en/fact...tion-aalsmeer/
https://www.globalmousetravels.com/s...e-netherlands/

We usually stay via private hospitality guest homes. (Free > $20/ night WW)
https://wikitravel.org/en/Hospitality_exchange

Enjoy your trip (Take sea bands and some patches if susceptible to motion sickness). The ships are quite stable, but do sway a bit in open water. Spouse uses 1/2 patch for a few days. 1/2 = Keeps from being sleepy / lathargic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Travel > Cruises