Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2010, 04:41 PM

13,350 posts, read 39,946,186 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tuffys Mom View Post
We just got back from a visit to Long Branch Lakes in Spencer, TN (9/24/2010) Wow! This place really is all that it is advertised to be. If you like to fish, walk, bike, or ride horses, this is paradise. We are from Washington State so we are no strangers to beautiful countryside and we loved it there. There are some twisty roads but we they are currently building a 4 lane highway that will take you from Long Branch to Crossville in about 20 minutes. So, there would only be about 3 miles of the twisty stuff. Long Branch Lakes is a community like no other I've been able to locate on the internet. We are seriously considering a move to TN even though I wish the development was closer to family in WA state, there isn't anything like it here. I highly recommend a site visit, it looks like an active retiree Eden.
A minor correction: the four-lane highway is to Cookeville, not Crossville.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
it's - contraction of it is
your - possession
you're - contraction of you are
their - possession
they're - contraction of they are
there - referring to a place
loose - opposite of tight
lose - opposite of win
who's - contraction of who is
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2010, 04:49 PM

375 posts, read 1,096,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
A minor correction: the four-lane highway is to Cookeville, not Crossville.
Don't think so, think she's talking about the work they're doing on Lantana road (SR-101) south of Crossville. Long Branch is in Lonewood (uninc.), even though every one seems to insist on saying it's in Spencer.

Edit - also, unless TDOT has found some money under a rock that I haven't heard about - this widening project is only funded to Dunbar road (SR-282). That section is scheduled to be completed in October 2011 but as to when it may proceed further south... any body's guess.

Last edited by yarddawg; 09-28-2010 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: add info about road project

Old 09-28-2010, 06:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yarddawg View Post
Don't think so, think she's talking about the work they're doing on Lantana road (SR-101) south of Crossville. Long Branch is in Lonewood (uninc.), even though every one seems to insist on saying it's in Spencer.

Edit - also, unless TDOT has found some money under a rock that I haven't heard about - this widening project is only funded to Dunbar road (SR-282). That section is scheduled to be completed in October 2011 but as to when it may proceed further south... any body's guess.
I don't know. I drove by Long Branch Lakes last weekend when I was at Fall Creek Falls. On the way back to Cookeville I accidentally took Hwy 285 East instead of Hwy 285 West and stumbled upon it. It is R E M O T E. Even if Hwy 101 is made four lanes all the way from Crossville to south of Lantana--which I seriously doubt will be done anytime in the next 10 years--getting from Lantana to Long Branch Lakes will still involve nearly 30 miles of very twisty, curvy mountain roads (it's actually 28.43 miles from Long Branch Lakes to Lantana).

Saying that it's in Spencer isn't that much of a stretch since it is well within Van Buren County, and it does have a Spencer address and ZIP code. And as remote as Van Buren County is (the entire county has just one small grocery store) Long Branch Lakes is in one of the more remote parts of that very remote county.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Last edited by JMT; 09-28-2010 at 06:57 PM..

Old 09-29-2010, 06:35 AM

36,499 posts, read 30,837,764 times
Quote:
I don't know. I drove by Long Branch Lakes last weekend when I was at Fall Creek Falls. On the way back to Cookeville I accidentally took Hwy 285 East instead of Hwy 285 West and stumbled upon it. It is R E M O T E. Even if Hwy 101 is made four lanes all the way from Crossville to south of Lantana--which I seriously doubt will be done anytime in the next 10 years--getting from Lantana to Long Branch Lakes will still involve nearly 30 miles of very twisty, curvy mountain roads (it's actually 28.43 miles from Long Branch Lakes to Lantana).
I was wondering about the road construction on Lantana. Seems they have been working on that little stretch near Miller Ave. for a couple yrs now. I doubt they will have a 4 lane all the way to Spencer.

I wonder how the State justifies building a 4 lane to BFE. It takes an act of Congress to get the County to maintain some of the existing rural roads.

Old 09-29-2010, 06:43 AM

22,584 posts, read 54,270,401 times
Didn't that other subdivision over there go belly-up and utilities and roads never put in?

Old 09-29-2010, 09:03 AM

Quote:
Didn't that other subdivision over there go belly-up and utilities and roads never put in?
Seems like there has been some difficulty with newer developments like Hawks bluff, Indian trail and Wilder Mt. concerning roads and utilities.

Old 09-29-2010, 10:40 AM

375 posts, read 1,096,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
I was wondering about the road construction on Lantana. Seems they have been working on that little stretch near Miller Ave. for a couple yrs now. I doubt they will have a 4 lane all the way to Spencer.

I wonder how the State justifies building a 4 lane to BFE. It takes an act of Congress to get the County to maintain some of the existing rural roads.
Well, there ya go, act of Congress. The section down to Dunbar is a Recovery Act project. Wouldn't recommend anyone holding their breath waiting for the rest of it.

JMT - the Spencer vs Lonewood is a local distinction I guess, locals don't consider outlying parts of the county to be "Spencer". They all have their own little community names. Bone Cave, Piney, Welchland, Rocky River, Fall Creek Falls, Lonewood, etc., etc. 30-40 years ago they all had their own schools and post offices but now it's mostly shorthand for giving directions. They do still have local churches and some of them have a community center. People in Spencer consider Lonewood to be BFE. That oughta tell ya something.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Well, there ya go, act of Congress. The section down to Dunbar is a Recovery Act project. Wouldn't recommend anyone holding their breath waiting for the rest of it.

JMT - the Spencer vs Lonewood is a local distinction I guess, locals don't consider outlying parts of the county to be "Spencer". They all have their own little community names. Bone Cave, Piney, Welchland, Rocky River, Fall Creek Falls, Lonewood, etc., etc. 30-40 years ago they all had their own schools and post offices but now it's mostly shorthand for giving directions. They do still have local churches and some of them have a community center. People in Spencer consider Lonewood to be BFE. That oughta tell ya something.
haha I love it. I guess Spencer was the "city" while Lonewood was BFE. I bet it was a sad day for people in those smaller communities when their little schools were closed and consolidated with the one (and only) school in Spencer.

That part of Tennessee is soooo beautiful; Fall Creek Falls is my favorite place in Tennessee by a long shot. But that Long Branch Lakes development just looks so out of place. I mean, it's surrounded by very humble farmhouses and lots of trailers, not mansions and gentleman farms. It'll be quite a rude awakening for some people when they buy there and then realize it takes nearly an hour to get to the nearest hospital and the only grocery store within 30 miles is a tiny little Save-a-lot.

IMPORTANT READING:
Terms of Service

---
its - possession
your - possession
their - possession
lose - opposite of win
whose - possession
alot - NOT A WORD

Old 09-29-2010, 01:36 PM

Quote:
It'll be quite a rude awakening for some people when they buy there and then realize it takes nearly an hour to get to the nearest hospital and the only grocery store within 30 miles is a tiny little Save-a-lot.
I will never understand people buying site unseen. It never seems to go well.

Old 09-29-2010, 01:44 PM

5,245 posts, read 16,424,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMT View Post
haha I love it. I guess Spencer was the "city" while Lonewood was BFE. I bet it was a sad day for people in those smaller communities when their little schools were closed and consolidated with the one (and only) school in Spencer.
The people I've talked to have been very happy with the schools in Spencer. My kids LOVED them. Of course, we moved from a massive school district in Florida with well over 30 kids per class and teachers that could care less about the kid's education and future. But the school and the admin and the kids all seem to be very happy and do really well. I couldn't have been happier with another school district.

Quote:

OMG - someone has heard of my town???!!!!!!!!! No freaking way!!!!!!

And yes, it's true, the tiny communities of 100 or 200 people are definitely considered towns by those of us here. I don't ever use Rock Island as my city address. It may be what comes up if I put in my zip code, but it's not only on the other side of the highway, it's in another county!!! I live in Bone Cave, not Rock Island and I'm proud of that. My kids have friends in Piney and Cedar Grove and such and they consider themselves residents of those towns.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Tennessee > Cookeville