Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-02-2024, 09:11 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You're using rich text there, not plain. Plain doesn't support bold or italics. Plain text means exactly that: no formatting.
It confuses some people that Notepad displays text in a rich format,
but reads and writes in plain text only.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-02-2024, 10:21 AM

8,920 posts, read 4,636,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
I know you asked Peregrine but I just wanted to share my $0.02:

Although I haven't done any web coding in a long while, I have played with Froala and CoffeCup a bit and they are both very nice and modern WYSIWYG type HTML Editors. They have free versions but I think they require you to register using a name and email address.
If you want something more similar to Wordpad in this regard, then your best bet is Open WYSIWYG.
Well. It looks like, sooner or later, I will need to do a mass translation from RTF1 to HTML.

Old 04-02-2024, 11:29 AM

506 posts, read 259,785 times
It seems to me that Wordpad is only going away if someone allows it to.

I have Windows 10 and have updates turned off ( using third-party software ). And unless I am missing something, since Wordpad is an executable stand-alone program ( and not even an "installed" program ), the executable file can be copied to another location and used indefinitely. As a precaution, I have done that, and it works just fine.

I don't use it much, as I mostly use Libre Office, but sometimes Wordpad is handy.

Old 04-02-2024, 12:06 PM

8,305 posts, read 13,437,323 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
You're using rich text there, not plain. Plain doesn't support bold or italics. Plain text means exactly that: no formatting.
Uh, yeah. I misunderstood! I thought you meant even a basic editor like Notepad wouldn't be able to bold text.
I will remember not to interfere again when you two are bromancing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRex2 View Post
It confuses some people that Notepad displays text in a rich format,
but reads and writes in plain text only.
Yes, it is capable of displaying formatting but the default for all actions is plain text.
I have actually used it many times to strip away all formatting from the text copied from a web site. Ever since switching to Notepad++ as my default text editor/viewer over a decade or so ago I haven't actually used Notepad.

Come to think of it, I believe it can actually even be used as an HTML editor but not in a WYSIWYG way.

I think HTML-Notepad is way more suitable for that purpose.

Old 04-02-2024, 02:45 PM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
All good Loco-Bro.

Anyone mention Notepad++? I think even YAB might approve of it.

https://notepad-plus-plus.org/

Old 04-02-2024, 06:54 PM

5,535 posts, read 7,106,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reed303 View Post
A little Googling found this:

https://winaero.com/wordpad-for-windows-11/
Thanks to Reed and others who commented.

The backup wordpad.zip is here and MINE!!!

Winaero rocks sometimes.

(Microsoft bums) delivered strong results in fiscal year 2023, "including a record $211 billion in revenue".

Old 04-02-2024, 11:20 PM

666 posts, read 422,883 times
I never approve of anything that encourages or enables people to remain on the spywaretastic Windows operating system.

How it feels to watch people adopt user-respecting software ...on windows:

Attached Thumbnails
Microsoft Confirms When It's Killing Off WordPad-hammer.gif  

Old 04-03-2024, 07:23 AM

16,544 posts, read 19,676,557 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tantalust View Post
(Microsoft bums) delivered strong results in fiscal year 2023, "including a record $211 billion in revenue".

Stupid American companies having records years.... Wish they'd just fail already.

Gimmee those MicroChina Windows baby...

Old 04-04-2024, 05:56 AM

4,140 posts, read 3,046,164 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upminster-1 View Post
It seems to me that Wordpad is only going away if someone allows it to.

I have Windows 10 and have updates turned off ( using third-party software ). And unless I am missing something, since Wordpad is an executable stand-alone program ( and not even an "installed" program ), the executable file can be copied to another location and used indefinitely. As a precaution, I have done that, and it works just fine.

I don't use it much, as I mostly use Libre Office, but sometimes Wordpad is handy.
I have Vista WordPad (the last version without the ribbon) installed on both my Windows 10 desktop and my Windows 8.1 notebook. I do have Office 2010 installed on both computers. Microsoft's recent approach seems puzzling at best. My 7th generation Intel desktop CPU is too new for Windows 8.1, but too old for Windows 11. Do they really think people are going to throw away perfectly good hardware just to upgrade to Windows 11?

Old 04-04-2024, 08:08 AM

506 posts, read 259,785 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mshultz View Post
I have Vista WordPad (the last version without the ribbon) installed on both my Windows 10 desktop and my Windows 8.1 notebook. I do have Office 2010 installed on both computers. Microsoft's recent approach seems puzzling at best. My 7th generation Intel desktop CPU is too new for Windows 8.1, but too old for Windows 11. Do they really think people are going to throw away perfectly good hardware just to upgrade to Windows 11?
I don't know what they think, but my sense of Microsoft, since the very beginning ( HDOS, CPM, MS-DOS ) is that they are bullies. I prefer to make my own decisions and not have things imposed on me.

I stayed with Windows 7 long after it was deemed "obsolete" and now I am staying with Windows 10 likewise. I needed one gaming computer and bought four of them, all with Windows 10, so I could extend the life of my setup.

Thanks to software like Winaero Tweaker I can also protect many of the earlier features and prevent unwanted "upgrades" ... The only software I allow/trust to do automatic updates are Webroot and Malwarebytes.

I used to use Microsoft Office, but they kept changing things around, needlessly. So I switched to Libre Office and have updates turned off. If something works, and works well, I am not going to risk MS messing it up.

Like many businesses, Microsoft is there to make money, not to help its customers do things. And taking away Wordpad is likely just another manipulation. EOR.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers