Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2024, 12:02 PM

652 posts, read 680,352 times

Advertisements

I got a couple of programs that is being difficult to remove from my control panel. I would hate the idea of doing fresh install of Windows 11. Please tell me there gotta be a way to remove these stupid programs!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2024, 12:07 PM

652 posts, read 680,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RME40 View Post
I got a couple of programs that is being difficult to remove from my control panel. I would hate the idea of doing fresh install of Windows 11. Please tell me there gotta be a way to remove these stupid programs!
Never mind, I figured it out. I had to go into task manager and end the programs there. Hope that helps whoever is in the same boat as me

Old 03-16-2024, 09:16 AM

20,620 posts, read 4,409,428 times
Well if needed in the future you can try: Revo Uninstaller 2.4.5

It's a free program that works well. There may be a new updated version.

Old 03-16-2024, 10:10 AM

471 posts, read 404,171 times
Thanks for posting this and reminding me how great Arch Linux is.

Old 03-16-2024, 11:40 AM

666 posts, read 422,523 times
Imagine needing to scramble a third party application uninstaller because the install/uninstall method is so inconsistent and unreliable?

Old 03-16-2024, 12:05 PM

8,301 posts, read 13,434,842 times
I admit there is a good chance that I might cut to the front of the "Let's Bash MS" line but, with vague issues like this one, it's hardly fair to blame MS/Windows for such an issue.
We have no background or details shared on this issue! We don't even know what application it was!

IF RME40 wanted to make this thread more helpful, he should have shared key details about the issue:
What was the application?
When was it installed?
Were there any issues using the app?
Why was he uninstalling the app in the first place?
How healthy was the system (free of malware? was it infected before? Any other issues the system had/having?)
Has the OP did a System Restore after installing the app (which could have easily changed/deleted application related registry entries causing this and other issues)?

It is very odd that the application's own uninstaller didn't detect and terminate its own process running in the background. This leads me to believe it was either some unknown/suspect program or the OP's system might have some issues that caused the uninstaller to fail like this.

I have installed and run into this problem mainly with poorly developed/coded apps, especially freeware stuff.

Also, let's now bring Linux into this so hastily. After all, GNU/Linux distros typically use their own package managers and application reservoirs. With Windows, you can get an app from anywhere and if the system doesn't have a proper malware scanner in place, it is very easy to get it infected. The Package Manager in Linux distros also proactively significantly minimize this possibility, if not completely.

A system using Windows S mode would be very similar to using a GNU/Linux distro, if that is what the user really desires.
You just have to find the right balance while considering the below scale:

FREEDOM of USE <---------------------------------------------------------------> SECURITY/STABILITY

Old 03-16-2024, 01:52 PM

1,097 posts, read 641,748 times
A problem uninstalling a third-party program could be a problem with Windows...or the third-party program...or both. I wouldn't jump to any conclusions that Windows is to blame since Microsoft didn't write the installer or the uninstaller. There are plenty of third-party programs with installers/uninstallers that don't work correctly.

Last edited by akrausz; 03-16-2024 at 02:01 PM..

Old 03-16-2024, 02:50 PM

230 posts, read 189,082 times
The uninstallers rank right up there with the Unsubscribe links in Spam emails.

Old 03-16-2024, 03:06 PM

504 posts, read 258,405 times
In my experience there are many ( poorly written ) uninstallers that only partially uninstall a program. But after awhile you ( some people ) figure out how to get rid of all those "remnants" ... starting with the several places where programs tend to store things.

The easy part is simply deleting the files and folders associated with the "uninstalled" program. A bit harder ( maybe ) is editing the registry. Sometimes third-party software can do that, but there is always some risk.

There are some such registry editing programs that I trust, but only to the extent that I can see exactly what registry entries are being changed before I say go.

Always pays to backup the registry before any such editing.

Old 03-16-2024, 05:22 PM

4,597 posts, read 2,988,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawk4042C View Post
Well if needed in the future you can try: Revo Uninstaller 2.4.5

It's a free program that works well. There may be a new updated version.
Does it work differently than just going to the control panel and clicking "uninstall"?

Recently I tried to uninstall a piece of software that didn't work,
but uninstalling it created new problems. So I had to use the restore function,
and the software I don't want is still there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers